PDA

View Full Version : Crank Bro Candy users - help please

Clydesdale
11-17-2010, 11:53 AM
I recently asked about Candy pedals because it felt like my left foot was never getting fully clipped in. I thought it might be the pedal body hitting the sole of my shoes so I have shimmed the cleat. The attachment seems fine but the pedal is so loose it feels like my foot is all over the place. I can feel movement throughout the pedal stroke and can move my foot in basically every plane. It is not very comfortable or comforting though it has never disengaged on accident.

Any thoughts? Pedal body is not damaged and the spring seems ok. I have changed cleats including the one that feels fine on the right side and no improvement. Is it time for a rebuild or time for new pedals? Is this looseness typical of Candys?

AngryScientist
11-17-2010, 12:07 PM
i'm not sure if this is what you're referring to, but i have candy's on my commuter bike, and compared to road shoes, they've always felt very "loosy goosy", not solid at all, but its really just a "feel" thing i think, they've been pretty secure.

i would never ride them on a road bike though, i need more "support" when going long.

Ken Robb
11-17-2010, 12:50 PM
could be worn cleats as Cranks Bros are brass so they wear instead of the pedals but they do wear quicker than steel cleats for other pedals.

And remember that the amount of float depends on which shoe one installs each cleat so you might be happier if you switch yours.

xjoex
11-17-2010, 01:18 PM
If they are new shoes, I have had to dremel the area around the cleat, like here:
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h85/boulderjoe/riding/100_2867.jpg

-Joe

kramnnim
11-17-2010, 02:42 PM
I have Candys and Eggbeaters and several types of shoes, and they all feel like you described... Well, other than on my Keen commuter sandals...I think with those, the pedal body comes more into contact with the tread, so it's not quite as loose of a feeling. But yeah, not a solid feeling, even with new pedals and new cleats.

Clydesdale
11-17-2010, 02:58 PM
Thanks guys. Like I said, I have never unclipped on accident but man are they wobbly, especially the left one. Maybe these just aren't the pedals for me.

victoryfactory
11-17-2010, 03:17 PM
On the candys there is a fine line between secure clip in and too loose
which is determined by how much shim or shaving you do.
Try a thinner shim, maybe?
They also have something called a premium cleat, I don't know if that
does anything to improve the feel.

VF