PDA

View Full Version : wheels for 230 male

gregrams
11-17-2010, 09:20 AM
Using Kysrium sl since 2003. Finally got a crack in the rear. Planning on fixing them. Compare them to the new R-SYS wheels for a 230 lb male. Which would be better for the new bike? :D :D

AngryScientist
11-17-2010, 09:35 AM
Using Kysrium sl since 2003. Finally got a crack in the rear. Planning on fixing them. Compare them to the new R-SYS wheels for a 230 lb male. Which would be better for the new bike? :D :D

is that greenwood lake NJ?

redesigned or not, i'd run away from the r-sys.

at your weight, i'd go handbuilt all the way.

gregrams
11-17-2010, 09:41 AM
Yes GWL. Hand built? Who up here is a good builder?

jr59
11-17-2010, 09:43 AM
email Peter White and /or Joe young

AngryScientist
11-17-2010, 09:44 AM
i dont know anyone super local, but i just had a great transaction with ERGOTT, who made me a real bombproof set of wheels. sun rims laced to some nice polished campy hubs, 32 spoke. they arent the sexiest, but they should be great for winter/spring training.

if you contact him (or other experienced, competent wheelbuilders) they'll go over your specific body type, riding style and intentions and bike preference and build you something specific to what you need.

honestly, thats the only route i'd go for a larger rider, some of the prebuilts may be good, but you would be pushing the weight limits on most of the nicer stuff.

Kirk007
11-17-2010, 11:35 AM
230 ain't that big if you know how to ride lightly.

I can't argue with the pre-built advice, particularly the builders you will find here, but there are many bigger riders your that rave about Campy prebuilts. They have their downsides (expensive spokes, less easy to repair) but wheels like the Neutron, Zonda and Eurus have great reputuations. I'm a bit lighter than you (20 lbs on a good day, 10 during bad winters), but have had a set of Campy protons for 7 years that just go and go and go.... Another option - build your own. I built my first wheelset last year as a winter project. It was fun and I've been riding the wheels for a year without complaint.