PDA

View Full Version : My first Brooks saddle!

veggieburger
11-17-2010, 08:50 AM
Bought a near-new b17 Champion locally, and it appears to be untreated. Can anyone recommend a treatment other than the Brooks stuff? None of the local shops carry brooks saddles/accessories....is there anything at the local hardware store that would work?

fiamme red
11-17-2010, 08:58 AM
I've used Kiwi clear neutral shoe polish or Mink Oil when I couldn't get my hands on a can of Proofide.

Lovetoclimb
11-17-2010, 09:25 AM
The Brooks stuff is not overly priced I don't think and well worth it in my experience. Had a Swift for 3+ months now, probably pushing 2k miles on it, a crash and through all that the bulk of it still looks and feels new. The "break-in" on that model seems to be much less noticeable than a B-17's shape change.

Regarding the treatment of a saddle, my teammate uses a B-17 on his training bike and he put Doc Marten leather shoe protection on his saddle. It has been wet, and probably ridden nearly as many miles as mine, but over 2x the time span. It now looks like a Harley Davidson saddle, such a severe shape distortion. So while I can not speak for mink oil or any other recommended alternative to Proofide, I can tell you for $15, it was well worth it to get the tin and cloth from Brooks (Harris cyclery actually). I have since shared it with my teammate for his B-17, applied to my saddle 4 times, and will share with my other teammate who is getting a swift. By my estimation, there is enough for all 3 of us for a year's worth of applications.

Sorry for being long winded :rolleyes:

jr59
11-17-2010, 09:46 AM
Why risk it? Use the brooks stuff.

veggieburger
11-17-2010, 09:50 AM
Maybe I'll try to find some online...

And (newbie question) - it goes on the top and bottom, right? :S

maxdog
11-17-2010, 10:01 AM
veggie, congrats. i own two swallows, and i love them. you could probably use any leather treatment, ie; the stuff sold for shoes or horse riding saddles, but as stated above, you might as well just order the brooks stuff online. i rode my first one for a month before applying the creme. just keep it as dry as possible. good luck.

Ken Robb
11-17-2010, 10:31 AM

I think Harris still does a good job with mail order and they are very nice folks.
Some folks have been happy w/Obenaufs (SP?) on their Brooks. The gang at Rivendell uses it. Do not use any neatsfoot oil or your saddle will be so softened as to be a sagged-out disaster.

sherok
11-17-2010, 11:39 AM
I agree, use the brooks stuff, why risk using something that brooks doesn't endorse?

Ahneida Ride
11-17-2010, 12:37 PM
Use Obenauf LP .... very good stuff.

Leather Master Cream or Corbin or ALM cream (see www.handlebra.com)
Theses are white aqueous bases creams

Meltonian cream #170 works well, one could also use a Meltonian cream
that matches the saddle color. Also very good stuff for Brooks Leather.

Obenauf LP will darken the saddle the most.

I have used all the products will excellent results on my Brooks Ti
Honey B17.

Ahneida Ride
11-17-2010, 12:39 PM
AVOID oils !!!!! Saddle will sag .....

The Proofide can keeps on getting smaller and the price goes up.

Steevo
11-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Its kind of ironic/funny that Veggieburger is riding leather! ;)

Enjoy the saddle. The B-17s work great for my "contours".

sean
11-17-2010, 02:25 PM
I think Harris still does a good job with mail order and they are very nice folks.
Some folks have been happy w/Obenaufs (SP?) on their Brooks. The gang at Rivendell uses it. Do not use any neatsfoot oil or your saddle will be so softened as to be a sagged-out disaster.

I've used both the Riv stuff and the Brooks. Honestly, not much difference.

Only do the bottom your first go round, that's all it needs.

Also, to help the break in process, whack the sucker with a rubber mallet a couple times. Sounds weird, but it works. An old wrench taught me that.

Ken Robb
11-17-2010, 02:38 PM
None of my Brooks required breaking in to be comfy once I got the critical nose up/down adjustment just right.

veggieburger
11-17-2010, 03:55 PM
Its kind of ironic/funny that Veggieburger is riding leather! ;)

Enjoy the saddle. The B-17s work great for my "contours".

I appreciate good vegetarian food, but love a good steak (in my belly or in this case, under my butt!)

palincss
11-17-2010, 04:25 PM

The first time, yes. After that, on top only, and only a little bit and only once or twice a year.

palincss
11-17-2010, 04:27 PM
Also, to help the break in process, whack the sucker with a rubber mallet a couple times. Sounds weird, but it works. An old wrench taught me that.

Unnecessary with a B.17, in my experience.

chuckroast
11-17-2010, 07:51 PM
I don't think I saw anyone recommend Snow Seal but that seems to work for me....