PDA

View Full Version : Grease or loctite for BB installation

maxdog
11-16-2010, 11:50 PM
I've always used phil woods waterproof grease when installing bb cups. my new record bb cups came with loctite pre-applied, as per the instructions. anyone have knowledge or opinions on this. thanks.

rice rocket
11-16-2010, 11:55 PM
Italian BB? Loctite the right cup and grease the left (or carry a BB bracket tool and torque wrench with you).

English, grease/anti-seize both.

The Italians just gotta man up and admit they were dumb on this one...

maxdog
11-17-2010, 12:02 AM
Italian BB? Loctite the right cup and grease the left (or carry a BB bracket tool and torque wrench with you).

English, grease/anti-seize both.

The Italians just gotta man up and admit they were dumb on this one...

English. thanks.

sean
11-17-2010, 12:24 AM
Phil- locktite both.

fogrider
11-17-2010, 02:22 AM
all the campy stuff I got came with loctite pre-applied. for my bbs, I also apply alittle teflon tape. I start the shell into the threads and about halfway in, I wrap a little tape on and continue.

vqdriver
11-17-2010, 02:45 AM
all the campy stuff I got came with loctite pre-applied. for my bbs, I also apply alittle teflon tape. I start the shell into the threads and about halfway in, I wrap a little tape on and continue.

Is that for creaking?

AngryScientist
11-17-2010, 06:19 AM
depends, for english thread, plenty of grease on the cups, unless its a Ti. frame, then lots of good anti-seize.

leooooo
11-17-2010, 06:58 AM
What's the rational behind loctite?

I just greased up everything liberally and wiped away any excess when building up a bike.
Aren't bike parts meant to be replaced/upgraded/mount/dismounted anyway?

Lifelover
11-17-2010, 07:28 AM
Loctite is a brand name not a description of what it does.

Some kinds of Locite are for "Locking" threads some are just anti-sieze.

The Loctite that is pre-applied is most likely not the same stuff that you woudl use if you never wants the threads to come apart again.

flydhest
11-17-2010, 07:33 AM
any different view for carbon BBs?

brians647
11-17-2010, 07:38 AM
any different view for carbon BBs?

I thought that they had aluminum inserts?

leooooo
11-17-2010, 08:21 AM
if you never wants the threads to come apart again.

That's the part I don't get.
What part on a bike would you never want to come apart again?

Like I said before, shouldn't everything be able to come apart for servicing/upgrading/cleaning?

AngryScientist
11-17-2010, 08:26 AM
That's the part I don't get.
What part on a bike would you never want to come apart again?

Like I said before, shouldn't everything be able to come apart for servicing/upgrading/cleaning?

italian threaded bb's are not reverse threaded on one side, so the pedaling motion is the same as the "unscrewing" motion, so a threadlocker has long been used to keep that cup tight.

make note that threadlocker, locktite being the most popular, comes in different grades, most of which still CAN be disassembles, with varying methods, some require simply more force, others require the application of heat. they are not permanent.

for example, most all cleat screws come with threadlocker on the screw threads, to keep the cleat firmly mounted to your shoe, they can, of course still be removed with a little additional force.

oldpotatoe
11-17-2010, 08:30 AM
I've always used phil woods waterproof grease when installing bb cups. my new record bb cups came with loctite pre-applied, as per the instructions. anyone have knowledge or opinions on this. thanks.

Grease in the BB shell(not loctite), teflon tape to the cup threads and install tight. I have never used loctite on a BB in 25 years and do not have the ITL ones come unsrewed during use. I have seen BB cups frozen into BB shells and after cutting them out see that they only had loctite on them.

leooooo
11-17-2010, 08:58 AM
italian threaded bb's are not reverse threaded on one side, so the pedaling motion is the same as the "unscrewing" motion, so a threadlocker has long been used to keep that cup tight.

make note that threadlocker, locktite being the most popular, comes in different grades, most of which still CAN be disassembles, with varying methods, some require simply more force, others require the application of heat. they are not permanent.

for example, most all cleat screws come with threadlocker on the screw threads, to keep the cleat firmly mounted to your shoe, they can, of course still be removed with a little additional force.

Noted on Italian threaded BB's. Never had one so I have no experience.
I can understand the cleat screws, but I just tighten the screws every month or so.