PDA

View Full Version : Campy 8 spd

flickwet
11-16-2010, 03:41 PM
Can I use an 8, 9 or 10 spd derailleur with my 8 spd shifters (brifters)

sean
11-16-2010, 04:29 PM
AFAIK, 8 speed is it's own beast. I've heard of some mods, but they aren't surefire.

9/10/11 wheelsets and hubs are all compatible.

9 speed has two versions, early and later, both of which are not compatible with each other.

9 speed RD have been known to work with 10. Some 9sp shifters can also be upgraded to 10 as can the FD.

oldpotatoe
11-16-2010, 04:29 PM
Can I use an 8, 9 or 10 spd derailleur with my 8 spd shifters (brifters)

Yes as long as it's Campagnolo. I use 2010 Campagnolo rear derailleurs(10s) as replacement rear derailleurs for all Campagnolo shifting systems from the late 80s thru present. The 'pre/post 2001' stuff in actual practice means nada.

I have converted 9s ERGO(round shape) to 10s and used the 1998/9 rear derailleur. I have installed 9s and 10s ERGO on old 8s rear ders and if they aren't toasted, they work fine. So, iffa ya got a set of 8s ERGO, use any RD to make it work. NO need to swap pulleys, as some MO places have insisted on.

Dave
11-16-2010, 05:09 PM
Others who have posted info on the actual cable pull report enough difference that it could warrant the use of a J-tek shiftmate to make 8 speed shifters work with 2001+ RDs. If the RD does not have a "b" screw in the tradtional position, the RD is one of those newer models. Allegedly, the difference in average cable pull is 3.2mm for the old shifters and 3.0mm for the newer versions. The difference is over 6% and significant. Using an 2001+ RD will create an overshifting situation, but a little overshifting is usually more tolerable than under shifting.

Personally, with the scarcity of 8 speed shifter parts and the fact they they were obsolete in 1997, I don't see the point of messing with them. The brake hoods were the least comfortable of any - they felt like a rectanglular box under the hood.

sean
11-16-2010, 07:18 PM
I'm with you Dave. Campy's first few attempts at indexed shifting are less than stellar. Synchro anyone?

I don't think they really got it down until the second version of 9sp. But that is just me.

Ralph
11-16-2010, 07:30 PM
I stayed with 8 speed up until last year, I had plenty of parts, spare's, cassettes, etc. But the new hood designs are just so much more comfortable. Even the design before this last one is a huge comfort improvement over the 8 speed.

But like others say, you can make your 8 speed "brifters" work with 8 speed cassettes and newer derailleurs. But not as good as the new stuff. The one great thing about 8 speed was those thick cog cassettes would last about forever.

oldpotatoe
11-17-2010, 08:45 AM
I'm with you Dave. Campy's first few attempts at indexed shifting are less than stellar. Synchro anyone?

I don't think they really got it down until the second version of 9sp. But that is just me.

8s ERGO, as introduced in a large scale in 1992 was unchanged in it's basic design until 2009. Shift disc, spring carrier, shift springs. Including 1998, when they changed the ERGO hood shape, added a watch spring to make shifting easier. BUT the basic shifting design stayed the same until 2009.

First index attempts, 1985-CDA, A-B Chorus, Syncro 1 and 2, etc., did not work, period. BUT new 2 spring DT shifters(later 3 spring), the ones with the wee barrel adjuster on them in 1992, ERGO and dedicated 8s hubs and cogsets worked great, as well as shimano of the day.

ERGO has changed very little and altho some say the cable pull differences from 2000 to 2001 is dramatic, in practice in the trenches, is not an issue.

One thing that is always true, if a customer is not happy, you will hear about it. I have installed many '10s' rear derailleurs on older systems with great results. It shifts reliably. Like Wipperman 10s links, they work, aren't noisy, stay hooked..ders shift, are not noisy, are reliable. Not sure what else they are supposed to do.

flickwet
11-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Yes as long as it's Campagnolo. I use 2010 Campagnolo rear derailleurs(10s) as replacement rear derailleurs for all Campagnolo shifting systems from the late 80s thru present. The 'pre/post 2001' stuff in actual practice means nada.

I have converted 9s ERGO(round shape) to 10s and used the 1998/9 rear derailleur. I have installed 9s and 10s ERGO on old 8s rear ders and if they aren't toasted, they work fine. So, iffa ya got a set of 8s ERGO, use any RD to make it work. NO need to swap pulleys, as some MO places have insisted on.
Thanks Ol' tater

cnighbor1
11-17-2010, 10:51 AM
Problems solvers makes a little device that allows all sort of combinations between campy and shimano. 8' 9's, 7's etc It fits were cable enters the rear derailleurs
also you can get spacers to use campy shifters with shimano cassetts by another company
do a search for problem solvers

Uncle Jam's Army
11-17-2010, 11:54 AM
Having recently acquired two close to mint condition bikes with 8-speed C-Record (circa 1993) and Chorus (circa 1996) with ERGO shifters, I'm hoping to stay 8-speed on these two bikes for quite a while. And, FWIW, I don't seem to mind the hood shape or the shifting. It seems fine.

oldpotatoe
11-17-2010, 01:09 PM
Having recently acquired two close to mint condition bikes with 8-speed C-Record (circa 1993) and Chorus (circa 1996) with ERGO shifters, I'm hoping to stay 8-speed on these two bikes for quite a while. And, FWIW, I don't seem to mind the hood shape or the shifting. It seems fine.

I think the very best ERGO was 1995/6/7 ERGO, with the hole in the shift lever(1997 being the same, just 9s). Loved they way it felt, worked. PLUS all my wheels are 7s DA freewheels..8s ERGO and a rear der and it would shift those freewheels really well