PDA

View Full Version : Do you train differently without even trying when receiving power feedback?

RPS
11-16-2010, 10:40 AM
About ten years ago I enjoyed occasionally training on an ergonometer which told me accurately how much power I was pedaling. It was always interesting to check how much power I had – or lacked – and how varying cadences allowed me to produce more or less power with more or less perceived effort.

Fast forward ten years: I just started riding again a couple of weeks ago after 4 to 5 months off the bike. As expected my speed is way off compared to four months ago – in part because I haven’t been pushing myself. Basically I’ve been riding a 34-mile shorter version of my 40-mile loop in the same amount of time. Roughly that suggests I’m pedaling at about 60 to 65 percent of the average power as before. For now I’m OK with that.

Due to bad weather my previous two rides were on a very basic ergonometer stationary bike. The accuracy is probably poor but seems to be consistent. The thing that is most surprising is that when out on the road I had no problem keeping myself at a low intensity and maintaining a high cadence while getting myself back into a routine. However, the minute I get on the stationary I see the power meter mocking my effort and I can’t help but push harder. A little at a time I keep pushing harder until soon I’m doing more than I should at this point.

Does this happen to anyone else? It’s just a power meter – probably not too accurate at that – but I find myself competing with it. Do the “watt” numbers draw anyone else into riding differently than they would have otherwise?