PDA

View Full Version : OT: It sucks to be a Redskins fan

tuxbailey
11-16-2010, 09:48 AM
'nuff said.

rice rocket
11-16-2010, 09:50 AM
I'm gonna echo what TO said... 78 million for a qb that's way past his prime?

Maybe this is all banking on the fact that there'll be a players union lockout next year, and salary caps will be raised.

Ray
11-16-2010, 09:58 AM
As a fair weather Eagles fan, last night was sort of fun, but also quite brutal to watch. It was like the Skins were playing in slow motion, or maybe Vick and Jackson and Maclin are just playing in particularly fast motion? I don't know.

But I haven't seen that bad a blowout in a loooooong time. So I feel for ya...

I always liked McNabb and thought he got a raw deal up here, so I started the season as kind of a Skins fan and was happy when they beat the Iggles early in the season. And now I just feel sorry for him because he's stuck on a team without a lot to begin with and a lot of what they started with is injured, so he's got no chance. And he's not good enough to just carry a bad team. While Vick, at least for now, is playing at a higher level than McNabb ever did, and McNabb played a a pretty high level for a long time. But Vick is just unconscious these days. No idea how long it'll last, but its kind of fun to watch.

As for the contract, McNabb will never see most of that money...

-Ray

veloduffer
11-16-2010, 10:04 AM
'nuff said.

Yep, brutual to watch last night. :( The Skins looked like they must have been wearing leg weights, because they looked really slow.

I think Vick is playing up to his potential - NFL football is better than prison football. The guy looked invincible last night.

Climb01742
11-16-2010, 10:08 AM
As for the contract, McNabb will never see most of that money...

isn't $40mil guaranteed? could someone, anyone, please explain that contract to me? why on earth would the 'skins offer it?

tuxbailey
11-16-2010, 10:11 AM
isn't $40mil guaranteed? could someone, anyone, please explain that contract to me? why on earth would the 'skins offer it?

Because Mike Shannahan and his son effed up with that benching thing.

Mgmt has to move or they won't have a decent QB next season.

rice rocket
11-16-2010, 10:12 AM
I see it as some sort of attempt to establish a "franchise player" of sorts, not unlike Brady, the two Mannings, Roethlisberger, etc. It lets McNabb know that he's in it for the long run, so his reputation rests on his ability to pull this team out from the ditch...and hopefully the players will rally around him.

That said, I don't think he has it in him. He can make great plays, but not consistent great plays.

Hawker
11-16-2010, 10:16 AM
I live in the Atlanta area. Mike Vick was the most exciting player I'd seen in decades, then he destroyed it all, lost 100 million dollars in endorsements and disappointed everyone.

He has a great man in Tony Dungy mentoring him. I trust he'll turn it around and change his life for good...even after his playing years are over.

What can you say about last night's game; the man was just totally incredible to watch, just astonishing. Frankly he reminds me of Bo Jackson, doing things on the field that leave even his competitors shaking their heads.

But can he ride a bike?

GuyGadois
11-16-2010, 10:23 AM
Sucks more to be an LA Rams fan :(

tuxbailey
11-16-2010, 10:51 AM
But can he ride a bike?

I don't know about him, but TO can ride one while giving an interview, albeit a stationary one.

cody.wms
11-16-2010, 12:59 PM

It's either sign him now or watch him leave. There was some speculation that he wanted the Vikings job, long term, and it looks like it will be available next year.

Beyond that, it's Snyder. I think he makes Al Davis look sane.

snah
11-16-2010, 01:13 PM
'nuff said.

Do what I did, move to Indy, become a Colts fan. :banana:

tele
11-16-2010, 01:13 PM
Beyond that, it's Snyder. I think he makes Al Davis look sane.
Snyder definitely has more $$$ than is good for him. He has consistently tried to buy a team, various coaches haynesworth, etc, and it has gotten him nothing but ridicule. And he deserves it. Uncle Al is just plain crazy.

Smiley
11-16-2010, 03:01 PM
The DEAD SKINS have made me a avid college football fan. In a nut shell the Skins organization SUCKS and its starts at the top of the heap. Screw Snyder, really he sucks.

FEAR the Turtle and root for Turtle Love (Univ of maryland) against FSU Saturday nite :banana:

tuxbailey
11-16-2010, 03:06 PM
Do what I did, move to Indy, become a Colts fan. :banana:

I wished that I when I moved to Columbia (the US for that matter) in 88 the Ravens and the Colts were around.

Unfortunately, I was introduced to the era of 88 SB winner, JG I, the era of Monk, Clark, Sanders, Hogs, Rypien, etc.

So I am stuck with the Redskins. If I have been a Ravens fans I would have been a much happier football fan for the last decade.

Lifelover
11-16-2010, 03:30 PM

One of the guys commentating last night said that he thought it was more like 10M guaranteed.

BryanE
11-16-2010, 06:09 PM
As a long time Lions fan welcome to my world.
Bry

rice rocket
11-16-2010, 06:12 PM
One of the guys commentating last night said that he thought it was more like 10M guaranteed.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/31715/a-closer-look-at-donovan-mcnabbs-contract

Good call. Pretty overinflated by the media.

If the Redskins decide to cut ties with McNabb following this season, they'd only be on the hook for $3.75 million.

My favorite line in Schefter's report: "The deal's maximum value is $88.5 million if McNabb leads his team to a Super Bowl victory every year."

harlond
11-16-2010, 07:48 PM
I started following the Skins with the Over The Hill Gang, so it's way too late to change. But Danny Boy sure makes me miss Jack Kent Cooke. Always overpaying for yesterday's all-stars.

tuxbailey
11-16-2010, 10:37 PM
I started following the Skins with the Over The Hill Gang, so it's way too late to change. But Danny Boy sure makes me miss Jack Kent Cooke. Always overpaying for yesterday's all-stars.

Fantasy Football.

FlashUNC
11-17-2010, 06:53 AM
As a long suffering Browns fan, believe me, it can always get worse.

veloduffer
11-17-2010, 08:02 AM

Same here. Good ol' George Allen had a way of making yesterday's stars turn back the clock for another year or two when they played for him. Of course, this was before free agency.

Danny sure ain't Jack. Then again, Jack's last wife was a bit of a distraction - she had a thing for unique hood ornaments (Cooke wife arrested (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/local/longterm/library/cooke/marl93.htm) ), IIRC. :D

johnnymossville
11-17-2010, 08:28 AM
McNabb is one of the most inconsistent players I've ever seen, or maybe his great plays (he shows brilliance once in awhile) are just luck. Huge mistake for the Redskins, but then it's the Redskins and they are nothing but a big mistake.

I guess it's been awhile since Riggins hasn't it?