PDA

View Full Version : Dura Ace -newbie repair problem

drewski
11-16-2010, 09:32 AM
Mayday, Mayday. Rear d issue.

I am trying to teach myself to change and service rear d cable
on newer Dura Ace stuff. I am having a vexing problem. When I tighten cable with the fastening anchor bolt on the rear d,and I shift with the rear STI shifter the chain is not jumping to the next cog.

I greased the cable with Pedro's light wet lube. I am able to manually
make the cable jump by pulling the cable taught with my hand.
But it no worky with the shifters.

I made sure that the cable is in the correct port on the STI shifter
and seems to be fastening down. Is there something i need to
do to troubleshoot the hand shifter?

Any suggestions as far as troubleshooting websites would be appreciated.

rice rocket
11-16-2010, 09:40 AM
Your cable is binding somewhere.

ahumblecycler
11-16-2010, 09:46 AM
Question: which DA model?

Helpful website: Park Tools!!!!!

oldpotatoe
11-16-2010, 09:50 AM
Mayday, Mayday. Rear d issue.

I am trying to teach myself to change and service rear d cable
on newer Dura Ace stuff. I am having a vexing problem. When I tighten cable with the fastening anchor bolt on the rear d,and I shift with the rear STI shifter the chain is not jumping to the next cog.

I greased the cable with Pedro's light wet lube. I am able to manually
make the cable jump by pulling the cable taught with my hand.
But it no worky with the shifters.

I made sure that the cable is in the correct port on the STI shifter
and seems to be fastening down. Is there something i need to
do to troubleshoot the hand shifter?

Any suggestions as far as troubleshooting websites would be appreciated.

So you attach the cable to the rear derailleur, proper place and then shift but it doesn't shift to the next cog? Turn the barrel adjuster on the rear derailleur until the chain moves to the next cog and then align the chain, with the barrel adjuster, with the second cog up. Shift, again and again, all the way up the cogset, adjust upper limit screw.

drewski
11-16-2010, 10:01 AM
Thanks for your help peeps.

Andrew

drewski
11-16-2010, 10:02 AM
How do I tell what type of model dura ace I have?

champ
11-16-2010, 10:39 AM
Post a pic of the RD and a forum member can tell you the year model.

As for the adjustment problem - when looking from behind the bike turn the adjuster barrel, one notch at a time, TOWARDS the direction the chain is having trouble moving. In other words turn clockwise if it will not shift down (14t to 13t) and vice-versa. Once you get it to shift properly, shift to the second cog from the bottom (usually a 12t or 13t) and fine tune vertical alignment of the pulley wheel to be directly centered below the cog. Keeping in mind that with the cable under tension the RD pulley cage will move laterally in the direction you turn the barrel adjuster. If that doesnt work loosen the cable bolt under the RD, zero the ergo (shift small inner lever until no more clicks), pull cable finger tight at RD, tighten, then downshift to the second cog and turn the barrel adjuster until it shifts. Align the cog and pulley as above. If it comes out of adjustment while riding you can adjust with the DT adjusters.

AngryScientist
11-16-2010, 10:43 AM
its all about cable tension, as O.P. said. take a look at the park tools site, there is a very good procedure there, its certainly a little more involved than just attaching the cable, but def. not rocket science either.

good luck!

eddief
11-16-2010, 01:36 PM
i thought all was correct until i realized the cable end was not anchored correctly in the STI shifter. make sure it is seated properly and, that prior to anchoring at the derailleur end, you have shifted the shifter so it thinks it is on the smallest cog. tap tap tap on the the small paddle.

Mike748
11-16-2010, 03:05 PM
New cable? I have heard of DA cable cores "stretching" after a few k miles to where they won't shift the derailleur although there seems to be tension in the cable.

Bob Loblaw
11-16-2010, 10:58 PM
So you attach the cable to the rear derailleur, proper place and then shift but it doesn't shift to the next cog? Turn the barrel adjuster on the rear derailleur until the chain moves to the next cog and then align the chain, with the barrel adjuster, with the second cog up. Shift, again and again, all the way up the cogset, adjust upper limit screw.

This.

If it was working before you changed out the cable, I'd wager there's nothing to troubleshoot except cable tension. Make sure you've shifted the shifter to the last click (smallest cog).

BL