PDA

View Full Version : Proper Riding Manners

g3neration
05-01-2005, 02:44 PM
Ok, I'm just curious as hell but, is drafting a big no no if you're just out riding? Basically I like to draft a guy if hes riding relatativly fast, say about 20+ mph. Makes me want to ride harder. But a few times the guy in the front slows down and waits for me to pass. Just wondering, is this like a big no no or impolitie?

Ken Robb
05-01-2005, 03:16 PM
I'd prefer that you ride beside me and chat a bit so we can decide if we want to trade pulls. I don't want anyone sneaking up on my wheel.

Ray
05-01-2005, 03:22 PM
Ok, I'm just curious as hell but, is drafting a big no no if you're just out riding? Basically I like to draft a guy if hes riding relatativly fast, say about 20+ mph. Makes me want to ride harder. But a few times the guy in the front slows down and waits for me to pass. Just wondering, is this like a big no no or impolitie?
There've been a few threads on this. As one who tends to be the draftER far more often than the draftEE, I tend to ask if it's ok before I grab someone's wheel that I don't know. Unless its an organized ride of some sort and spontaneous pacelines are forming all over the place. There are a bunch of local racers around here who I can't really hang with, but when a small group comes by on a training ride and we're on a relatively flat section of road, I'll sometimes ask if they mind if I sit on the back. They're generally fine with it and know better than to ask me to pull. I just drop back as they rotate. I always thank them for the tow when the road goes up or we otherwise go our separate ways. I'm rarely with them for more than 4-5 miles.

-Ray

M_A_Martin
05-01-2005, 03:22 PM
Do a search for Wheelsucker and see what discussion has gone before.

If you ride up to someone and say hello and ask if you can draft, and be kind enough to take a pull at the front and not be squirrely when you do? Yeah, that type of drafting is ok.

Coming up behind someone or snagging them on the way by and sitting on their wheel without saying anything or asking is rude. (Anyone who slowed down when you were behind them? They thought you were being rude.)

and while we're at it: Riding with earphones or on aerobars in a paceline (or drafting) is unsafe. In this case, nobody cares if you, yourself is safe, it's the safety of the rest of the people in the pack we're talking about.

g3neration
05-01-2005, 03:35 PM
Oooo ok well good to know. But sometimes I can barely keep up so how do you ask then? Can barely get my breath too :confused:

dirtdigger88
05-01-2005, 03:39 PM
Oooo ok well good to know. But sometimes I can barely keep up so how do you ask then? Can barely get my breath too :confused:

then you shouldn't be trying to hang on- Unless I am actually working on intervals I dont care that someone hangs on- I dont even mind doing all the pulling- but if you can barely hang on to ask if its ok to hang on- please just give me my space- its all about the safety man- when riders get tired they get squirley- no one wants to ride with squirles

Jason

g3neration
05-01-2005, 04:08 PM
Ah ok thnx for the feedback, next time I'll know. :D Lots of fun drafting but I guess I wont do it unless I ask first. ;) I figured it was ok since I was the puller in 2 cases. I was ok with it but I guess its polite to ask.

flydhest
05-01-2005, 06:52 PM
what dirt said. even if he is a looooser.

Just a friendly, "I'm on your wheel" is enough for me. If I'm doing intervals or something, then I'll say so. If not, I don't much care, although I'm usually happier talking. If you're going to suck my wheel, however, make sure you pay attention to the road, as I'm not likely to point out potholes and such.

M_A_Martin
05-01-2005, 07:09 PM
I think it's sad that bike riders have given squirrels such a bad rap...

flydhest
05-01-2005, 07:15 PM

for a different view on squirrels, check out
http://www.illwillpress.com/vault.html

particularly the one at the bottom labeled "Small, Medium, and Large"

M_A_Martin
05-01-2005, 07:45 PM
Are you thinking I'd argue with Foamy about Starbucks?

g3neration
05-01-2005, 07:46 PM
Ok thnx for the tip...and if anyone cares...blue putty tastes like chicken. :D

700 x 23c
05-01-2005, 07:59 PM
As someone who has been innocently either spit at or had nasal mucus sprayed on me, let those ahead of you know you are drafting! ;)

g3neration
05-01-2005, 08:33 PM
Are you sure those were innocent? ;) But I'll definitely keep that in mind. Then again you can tell them that you're drafting and the can still do that. Think I lost my dinner too. :D

Ozz
05-02-2005, 10:28 AM
squirrels give themselves a bad rap!! ;)

http://www.scarysquirrel.org/campus/washuni.html

BTW - I don't care if you wheelsuck....just let me know you're there....

William
05-02-2005, 10:35 AM
I know a few ornery folks who just might hook you if you sneak up and sit on them. :mad:

Squirrels? Don't make me break out my Ode to Squirrels again. :no:

William ;)

g3neration
05-02-2005, 10:36 AM
I'll let you know I'm there as long as you dont spit or sneeze while I'm there. :D