PDA

View Full Version : Alpine bicycle

spartacus
11-15-2010, 12:44 PM
I'm looking for some ideas about what characteristics make for a good road bicycle for the mountains (French and Swiss), in particular the style and geometry of the frame, and which of the current Serotta framesets would be most suitable for such riding?

atb, Sparts.

dave thompson
11-15-2010, 01:09 PM
'Standard' Serotta geometry, which is essentially stage race would work extremely well in that environment. Gothard, a frequent forum poster, lives in Switzerland and seems to like his Serottas. His sig line is "All the Swiss passes".

sg8357
11-15-2010, 02:17 PM
Some Swiss bike routes are unpaved, there are also unpaved road/tracks
in the mountains that can be fun. All the big climbs are paved.

First time I used 27mm tires, next time I used 35mm, hotel touring with
a light load.

spamjoshua
11-15-2010, 02:32 PM
As noted, the mountains do not call for change from a standard stage race bike, but you do want to be prepared for speeds that may be unfamiliar.

I live in the Sierra Nevada around Tahoe. You do not need to pedal to be going very fast.

RADaines
11-15-2010, 02:50 PM
As noted, the mountains do not call for change from a standard stage race bike, but you do want to be prepared for speeds that may be unfamiliar.

I live in the Sierra Nevada around Tahoe. You do not need to pedal to be going very fast.
Down hill I presume... ;)

Ken Robb
11-15-2010, 03:25 PM
Down hill I presume... ;)

Well when the wind comes up maybe not. :banana:

Karin Kirk
11-15-2010, 07:53 PM
Any road bike that fits well would be fine. Having a bike that handles well and that you are very comfortable with is a big help for the insane downhills.

For the climb up, basically it needs to fit well, and it's helpful if it's light.

GeorgeK is the obvious expert here - since he owns as many Serottas (and other fine bikes) as there are Swiss passes.

Wilkinson4
11-15-2010, 09:42 PM
My two favorite bikes for the mountains

http://www.mariposabicycles.com/bike-for-mountains.html
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mapcycles/sets/72157624178607178/with/5048070427/

mIKE

jh_on_the_cape
11-16-2010, 11:46 AM
I spent last summer in the Italian alps. I only had a mtb with me, but there were lots of road bikers. Some of the passes are very steep so consider a triple or at least a big cluster, depending on your fitness. A double is manly, but walking your bike is not-manly.

Descents are very fast and curvy. Most people just ride your typical wanna-be-a-pro style bikes.

Gothard
11-16-2010, 12:02 PM
There are nough paved roads here to last you a lifetime, so unless you are a mountain biker, your std road bike will work nicely.

What I use usually is either 39/53 and a 13/29 cluster, or 34/50 and a 13/26. On rare occasions I have the 34/50 and the 13/19.

For the rest, I would make sure the bicycle I ride is *confortable*, i.e. I can sit on it for several hours on end. The usual crit bike, stupid long and low might be a problem; after all, if you ride like me, you'll be for 4+ hours on the thing.

My personal favourites? the Hors Cat (johnny Cash) and the Kirks. By far.

tv_vt
11-16-2010, 06:56 PM
Boy, I have been dreaming of an alpine trip for quite a while now. Doesn't look like it's going to happen any time soon, but I've been wondering lately how my lower back will tolerate the 15-20km climbs. Have noticed that really long climbs tend to cause my lower back to tighten up. Have been working on various modifications, like shortening the reach to bars and raising the bars, which helps, but how those long climbs will work out remains a question mark.

Something for you to keep in mind...

And someday, I hope to check out the Galibier, the Alpe, Glandon, etc. Maybe with Grenoble as the basecamp.

Thom

jh_on_the_cape
11-16-2010, 07:12 PM
if you haven't try pilates for the back. And a hot tub.

Boy, I have been dreaming of an alpine trip for quite a while now. Doesn't look like it's going to happen any time soon, but I've been wondering lately how my lower back will tolerate the 15-20km climbs. Have noticed that really long climbs tend to cause my lower back to tighten up. Have been working on various modifications, like shortening the reach to bars and raising the bars, which helps, but how those long climbs will work out remains a question mark.

Something for you to keep in mind...

And someday, I hope to check out the Galibier, the Alpe, Glandon, etc. Maybe with Grenoble as the basecamp.

Thom

chromopromo
11-16-2010, 10:12 PM
I rode in the French Alps this summer all on pavement. My lessons learned: get a compact crank with a 12-27 cassette or better; lighter is better; get comfortable going up it takes a lot longer; make sure your brakes are perfect; and no matter which bike you choose the descents are terrifying.