PDA

View Full Version : Second Place Finish

Chief
05-01-2005, 12:25 PM
Yesterday was the USCF Texas State Road Race in which yours truly finished second in the 65+ age group. The course was a 30 mile loop with lots of hills about 80 miles northwest of Dallas. The races were staged such that the 30+ Cat 4/5 racers started after our 65+ group. About half way through our race, the Cat 4/5's had a break away that overtook us. The race officials asked us to form a single file to allow them by. At that stage I was leading our group. I found out later from others in our group that the guy who finished first in the 65+ latched onto the break away Cat 4/5 riders and hence got off the front unbeknownst to me. I dropped the remaining riders in my group on a long climb with about 15 miles to go to the point where they were no longer in sight. I was tooling along fat, dumb and happy because I thought I was the leader, not realizing that I and others had been snookered. I am not saying that I would have beaten him if I had known that he had latched onto them, but it would certainly been a much closer race. O'well so much for being inexperinced in racing and not keeping track of everyone in our group. Nevertheless, it was fun, I did my first USCF race and earned a medal at 67.

Kevin
05-01-2005, 12:36 PM
Congratulations. Does this mean I have to wait 25 years to be competitive?

Kevin

Bill Bove
05-01-2005, 12:55 PM
Good going Cheif. I have question though, you said that as you were overtaken by the 4/5's you told by the officials to form a single file and allow them to pass. ALLOW THEM TO PASS. Were you told NOT to mix groups before the start of the race? It's not an uncommon rule in racing. I have been in races where mixing was allowed and in ones where mixing was not allowed, in a state or district championship race I would think it would be. I've been in a few races where the 45+ men were combined with the 1/2 women and we stayed together for the entire race and somebody would yell out that at .5 miles to go the men would take one side of the road and the women the other to prevent a guy from giving a women on his team a leadout and cheap win. It's probably to late to file a protest so you were either caught sleeping or the victim of a cheap win.

700 x 23c
05-01-2005, 01:12 PM
Congratulations....you came in first in my book! :beer:

Chief
05-01-2005, 02:08 PM
Good going Cheif. I have question though, you said that as you were overtaken by the 4/5's you told by the officials to form a single file and allow them to pass. ALLOW THEM TO PASS. Were you told NOT to mix groups before the start of the race? It's not an uncommon rule in racing. I have been in races where mixing was allowed and in ones where mixing was not allowed, in a state or district championship race I would think it would be. I've been in a few races where the 45+ men were combined with the 1/2 women and we stayed together for the entire race and somebody would yell out that at .5 miles to go the men would take one side of the road and the women the other to prevent a guy from giving a women on his team a leadout and cheap win. It's probably to late to file a protest so you were either caught sleeping or the victim of a cheap win.

Bill,

My understanding of the rules, was that we were NOT to mix groups, but since I didn't personally see him get away with the group, I didn't feel I could legitimently protest. Live and learn.

g3neration
05-01-2005, 02:11 PM
Whoah 65+ and still racing :eek:. Well hey if it makes you feel better, so far all the older generation that I've seen has passed me at least a dozen times and then some. :D

Chief
05-01-2005, 02:16 PM
Congratulations. Does this mean I have to wait 25 years to be competitive?

Kevin

Kevin,

Certainly, one key to success is to out live your competition!

coylifut
05-01-2005, 02:16 PM
that kind of thing happens all the time. the winner attacked while you were neutral :no: If he took draft or worked with the 4/5 group in any way, he should be relegated. It doesn't matter if he did or did not know better, it's un sportsman like conduct.

Blastinbob
05-01-2005, 02:45 PM
I unofficially declare you the winner !!! :banana: :banana: :beer:

RABikes2
05-01-2005, 03:28 PM
CONGRATULATIONS Chief! :D Way to go! Bravo! Bravo!
:beer: :banana: :beer:

RA

zap
05-01-2005, 03:43 PM
Congratulations. You guys are my inspiration.

To bad about the mixed mixup, but it happens around here too.

Air Jer
05-01-2005, 04:33 PM
This is a good story! Cheif, tell us about your training that led to such a great story in your first race.

Birddog
05-01-2005, 05:24 PM
Chief, you more than likely got hosed by a cheater. As others have stated, that's almost always an illegal move. There is usually a time to file protest after the unofficial results are posted. It was at this time that you needed to file and have a witness or two ( usually the other guys that got screwed) to verify your allegation. That's really "bush" to pull that crap. One thing I like about Master's Racing is that it tends to be more honorable. How much money did you win? I'd hate to think some geezer on SS did it for the dough.

Birddog

97CSI
05-01-2005, 06:26 PM
Congratulations, Chief. Better luck next time.

Now tell us you were riding a Serotta.

Lost Weekend
05-01-2005, 06:46 PM
Chief, two words- you rock :beer:

g3neration
05-01-2005, 07:40 PM
Ok, just my opinion here and I dont wish to offend anyone but...well its that time of month where I get philosophical for a day or two. I may seem like a complete a$$***e for say this but here goes: :rolleyes:

I havent raced or anything so I'm not too sure as to the rules and everything but from my expierence I've attended a few pro tourneys in other areas. Basically most ppl that join a contest, etc. has the drive to be first. From what I've went thru, anything goes as long as the referee or judging entity didnt see it, its all legal. It's a pretty cutthroat event. Whether or not its right or not, the person that won first place, doesnt really care. Why? Cause he had a stronger drive/will/desire to be first. Enough that he didnt care. What I'm getting at is if someone cheated or they didnt, they still beat you. Get over it and move on.

Ok now my philosophical moment has passed and I should be back to normal tomorrow. :D No offense meant.

OnceFast
05-01-2005, 08:38 PM
I agree with your second sentence - Chief was hosed.