PDA

View Full Version : Dog crap on the path...

Dekonick
11-14-2010, 08:53 PM
Today I went for a nice 3 mile run with my Mutt. There is a trail near my house (the trolley trail in Oella/Catonsville) that is a favorite for a quick run as it is 1.5 miles up a gentle climb, 1.5 miles back. Lots of folks stroll this park/trail and many bring their dogs. While enjoying some RUSH on my IPOD, I saw a nice, young (late 20's, eraly 30's) couple and their dog walking on the trail. Looked like nice folks! As I approached, I smiled and waved. I then saw their dog (off lead) squat and take a crap. I figured they didn't see it so I paused my music and pointed this out - and was given a dismissive wave and they continued on their merry way. Right next to where this dog left a steaming pile was a family with 2 kids - a baby and a toddler. The toddler was having a grand old time meandering near the new pile of poo. Normally I would have just minded my own business, but something just made me pissed - so I hollered to the couple walking away - "Hey! Do you need a bag to pick up your dog's poop? I have one you can have!" and what did I get? Same dismissive attitude and they continued on their amble down the path. I proceeded to mutter under my breath and pick up their poop, wrap it in my bag, and chase them down. I started to hand them the warm, steaming offering reminding them it was the law and their dog's mess. They stated their dog did not poop to which I replied that I saw it, as did the other couple, and if they did not believe me the bag was still warm. I pretty much forced the girlfriend to take the bag of ***** and waved, smiled, and continued on my run.

Later, while on the return leg, two other people thanked me for doing what I did. I was not so sure it was a wise thing to do, but it just bothers me when I see dog crap on or near a path (don't even get me started on horses...) as there are too few places we can take our dogs as it is. This attitude of thinking it is OK to leave waste just perplexes me - would they be OK if I left a pile on their front porch? On their lawn? On their sidewalk?

Further on the run, I ran into the same couple and they commented 'look, if it isn't the poop police!' - well that was it. I went off on them. Gave them the third degree - then finished my run.

I don't know - but something sure seems wrong with a lot of folks today. No ownership for their actions. It seems to be ME ME ME. Am I crazy? Probably.

Perhaps I should have just kept my mouth shut and ignored their inaction.

:confused:

What would you do?

rustychisel
11-14-2010, 09:07 PM
The law is the same here.

People who cannot/will not take responsibility for dog crap might not be the people you want as owners for a dog which might chase cyclists, bite strangers, stuff like that. I'm impressed that you gave them a chance, then a mild rejoinder, then the word, followed by both barrels. Remarkable restraint. If someone nukes your home you know the escalation is continued and can act accordingly.

Anyway, I think you did right, speaking as someone who on occasion has picked up a cigarette butt and flipped it back in the car window from whence it came.

Peter P.
11-14-2010, 09:13 PM
You handled the situation perfectly and are to be commended for your approach. After your earlier, more diplomatic efforts, you were ENTITLED to give them the third degree.

I personally would have skipped the diplomacy and started foaming at the mouth.

Louis
11-14-2010, 09:33 PM
speaking as someone who on occasion has picked up a cigarette butt and flipped it back in the car window from whence it came.

Speaking of flipping, a few years ago I nearly flipped out when I noticed how many cigarette butts there were at a stop light near work. I don't know if they were due to the accumulation of individual butts, or folks emptying out the entire ash tray.

At first I thought "Isn't it terrible that they don't give a d@mn about littering?" But then I realized that these are people who don't give a d@mn about what they are putting into their own bodies, so it's unlikely that they will care about some street corner. Either way, in my book they're idiots and will eventually pay a heavy price.

nathbdp
11-14-2010, 10:33 PM
In NYC on the west side path the NYPD have a habit of riding their horses down a stretch of it and leaving piles of manure in their wake. :(

avalonracing
11-14-2010, 11:20 PM
I've handed back people's litter but never their dog dirt. Nice work.
I live a stones throw (well, maybe a long golf drive) from that trail and my favorite thing are the pitbulls that obviously in control of their owners leash.

Most of the time it is a nice trail though.

tuxbailey
11-14-2010, 11:28 PM
Awesome.

Since you have additional witnesses of the violation (it is against the law after all,) could you have told them that you could call the police on this?

BTW, what is the third degree?

Dekonick
11-15-2010, 12:33 AM
I've handed back people's litter but never their dog dirt. Nice work.
I live a stones throw (well, maybe a long golf drive) from that trail and my favorite thing are the pitbulls that obviously in control of their owners leash.

Most of the time it is a nice trail though.

Damn - so you live within a long drive of my house! Lets go ride! Mind you - I am an older slower rider... not a racer type at all...

BTW - my mutt is a pitt mix - I often let him off lead (he is extremely obedient and sedate) as he runs right next to me (after he gets his first sniffs... he always does the sniff, sprint to catch me, sniff routine) but I never let him off lead if there are people around. Any dog in control of their owner is an owner who is not in charge - size does not matter. I fear the ankle biter on a retractable leash more than any mastiff, Pitt, Shepard, etc... off lead with an owner who is in control. The Dog Whisperer, Cesar, is an example of someone in charge of his dogs. Be the leader! If you own a dog, you should also assume responsibility for that dog. No matter - the law in Ho Co and Balt Co is your dog has to be on leash or in control. You are also responsible for picking up your pets 'presents'

Anyway - PM me and lets go for a ride! Mtn or road... either way...

You can show me the trails in Paptasco!

Dek

Dekonick
11-15-2010, 12:36 AM
Awesome.

Since you have additional witnesses of the violation (it is against the law after all,) could you have told them that you could call the police on this?

I doubt they cared one way or the other. I wanted them to know what they were (not) doing was wrong and that some folks would not stand for it. I think the embarrassment I caused them was worth more than any ticket. Crazy people! Well - I am off to bed.

G'Nite forum folks...

RABikes2
11-15-2010, 12:58 AM
I don't know - but something sure seems wrong with a lot of folks today. No ownership for their actions. It seems to be ME ME ME. Am I crazy? Probably.

What would you do?
You handled that well, Dek, good job. :beer:

Doubt they'll do it on their own, but hopefully they'll remember your lesson.

William
11-15-2010, 04:16 AM
Good on ya Dek!!! :banana:

Sometimes you have to press a matter to get people to do the right thing. I've never understood why folks will let their dogs dump in another person's yard, or on public property and just walk away. I've always picked up after our dogs when we're out for a run or walk.

On a side note...and speaking of responsibility and people sucking....

My mother is part of a Japanese Chin Rescue group and just got a call about a Chin that someone dumped at a local park. After taking the dog to the Vet to be checked out he was found to have some medical issues which could indicate why someone dumped him. I can understand not being able to pay for medical issues, but that's what rescues are for. Just call them and they'll help. Don't just ditch the animal on a road or in a park. Sometimes people just suck.

Here he is.....dumped at Goddard Park, it appears and spent two weeks at the Warwick Animal Shelter until they called rescue and I picked him up Wednesday. Age 9-10 years, weight 14.6 lbs., very nice guy. Cried for the first few days here and sounds just like a cat or a baby. Settling in now. Good with other dogs. . I am trying to get past some medical issues for him and then there is a foster in New York for him or hopefully I can find him a home before then.

BumbleBeeDave
11-15-2010, 05:40 AM

You're not crazy. You did the right thing. You're just lucky the guy--or both of them!--didn't take a swing at you.

Welcome to 21st Century America . . . It's all about ME! Everywhere! All the Time! Me, Me, ME! :mad: :crap:

BBD

AngryScientist
11-15-2010, 06:16 AM
i agree with the group that you did the right thing, and handled it well.

what amazes me about this story is that the offenders were so indifferent about it. most people who are generally lazy would be mortified if they were ever called out for their behavior, these people sound like real winners.

snah
11-15-2010, 09:02 AM
Gotta share this story, friend of mine, kind of a hot head, saw a neighbor's dog, while being walked, sh*t in his front yard. Yelled out and asked the guy if he'd pick it up, guy told him sorry, no bag, friend offered a bag, guy just walks away. Friend picks up the sh*t in a paper bag, follows the guy home, sets it on his porch, lights it on fire, then calls the guy to tell him there's a fire on his porch. Guy comes out, sees fire, steps on it. After realizing what he'd stepped in, never did let his dog sh*t in friends yard again.

Maybe a little overboard, certainly more than I'd ever do, but the story was funny.

slowandsteady
11-15-2010, 09:21 AM
You handled the situation perfectly and are to be commended for your approach. After your earlier, more diplomatic efforts, you were ENTITLED to give them the third degree.

Kudos to you - excellent job!

Idris Icabod
11-15-2010, 09:41 AM
I've had 2 encounters with dog owners in about the past month whilst riding. The first was in my neighbourhood, just finishing a ride and a younger lady with a dog took a poop and she started walking off. I rolled up next to her and said "you know that you need to pick that up". I got "mind you're own god damn business, god damn it". I told her that I lived in this neighbourhood so it was my business. She ranted at me for quite a long while, told me she was going home to get a bag and that she would. I told her I would circle round and if it was still here I would be calling the HOA. That pile got picked up.

Second one was crazy. Riding through a neighbourhood a ways from home and an older fellow let his dog squat and dump, again I was riding past but as the dog finished and he was walking away he just looked at me and said "f#*k you". I figured that it was pointless wasting any time arguing with this fellow as he was clearly deranged.

My dog is 11 years old now and I can honestly say that I have a 100% record of picking up after him. I even take 3 bags with me now after an epic walk when he produced 3 good sized gifts for me and I only had 2 bags. I walked him home, got on my bike and rode back and retrieved the third.

AngryScientist
11-15-2010, 10:09 AM
i've got one of these little gems for my hounds leash. for her, walks are the most exciting thing in the world. they literally excite the crap out of her :banana: , so you never know how many bags you'll need.

i stuff this thing full of shop-rite bags, and always have as many as i need.

http://ny-image1.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.170614433.jpg

rugbysecondrow
11-15-2010, 10:17 AM
I applaud you dog crap picker-uppers. I do the same thing, although my dogs typically crap in our yard and not on a walk.

As an aside, I can't think of the last time somebody looked and me and said, F&*k You. Likely not since my tavern days...ah, the good ole days. :beer: Probably a good thing as I have a low tolerance for arse holes like that.

I was once walking from the metro to my car and saw a car back up, hit another car and start driving away (she took the bumper off the car she hit). I immediately sprinted after the lady and told her she just hit that car. She mumbled a few things and drove off. I took her plates, went to the metro police in the station and they did nothing with it. I left a note on the victims care with the plate info and a description along with my contact info. About 2 weeks later I got a call from the insurance company.

4 points stuck with me from this incident: 1) the driver didn't care at all that she hit somebody. 2) the police didn't care. 3) of the 10 people who witnessed the accident, none stopped, and they thought I was odd for acting. 4) the lady who's car was hit never called to say thanks.

Knowing what I know now, I would still do the same thing, but I unfortunately have less confidence in how others would react/act.

I've had 2 encounters with dog owners in about the past month whilst riding. The first was in my neighbourhood, just finishing a ride and a younger lady with a dog took a poop and she started walking off. I rolled up next to her and said "you know that you need to pick that up". I got "mind you're own god damn business, god damn it". I told her that I lived in this neighbourhood so it was my business. She ranted at me for quite a long while, told me she was going home to get a bag and that she would. I told her I would circle round and if it was still here I would be calling the HOA. That pile got picked up.

Second one was crazy. Riding through a neighbourhood a ways from home and an older fellow let his dog squat and dump, again I was riding past but as the dog finished and he was walking away he just looked at me and said "f#*k you". I figured that it was pointless wasting any time arguing with this fellow as he was clearly deranged.

My dog is 11 years old now and I can honestly say that I have a 100% record of picking up after him. I even take 3 bags with me now after an epic walk when he produced 3 good sized gifts for me and I only had 2 bags. I walked him home, got on my bike and rode back and retrieved the third.

rugbysecondrow
11-15-2010, 10:18 AM
What is it? Can you post or PM a link to it? Would make a great gift for my bro.

i've got one of these little gems for my hounds leash. for her, walks are the most exciting thing in the world. they literally excite the crap out of her :banana: , so you never know how many bags you'll need.

i stuff this thing full of shop-rite bags, and always have as many as i need.

nahtnoj
11-15-2010, 10:21 AM
If I flipped out on every idiot doing something stupid on the mixed-use trail near my place...

Sadly, most of my pet peeves involve cyclists. Or at least, people riding bikes.

zap
11-15-2010, 10:33 AM
You did well.

JMerring
11-15-2010, 10:43 AM
i have 2 dogs, both of whom get walked, and whose crap always gets picked up. every time i do, however, it occurs to me that leaving the crap and letting it decompose and disappear naturally is probably the better long-term result, since the bag in which the crap goes won't degrade nearly as efficiently. leaving the crap would, of course, be unsightly, but the net effect would probably be to leave a nicer planet for my kids and theirs. just sayin.

DreaminJohn
11-15-2010, 10:45 AM
To paraphrase George Lopez:

(from the dog's perspective) Why are you picking that up? If I knew that you wanted it, I would have done it in the living room!

:D

Dekonick
11-15-2010, 11:23 AM
i have 2 dogs, both of whom get walked, and whose crap always gets picked up. every time i do, however, it occurs to me that leaving the crap and letting it decompose and disappear naturally is probably the better long-term result, since the bag in which the crap goes won't degrade nearly as efficiently. leaving the crap would, of course, be unsightly, but the net effect would probably be to leave a nicer planet for my kids and theirs. just sayin.

I use biodegradable bags - and NO it is not better to let it decompose. This path sits on a river that feeds the Paptasco and that feeds the Chesapeake. Dog poo - like human poo - has lots of bacteria that in large numbers are harmful for watershed area's. If it were only one dog, one time it would be a different situation. In addition, this can spread parasites from one dog to another (or little toddlers...) so it is a responsible thing to clean up after your pet. iI is the law and it is a common use area. If enough dog owners let their pets poo and leave it there... it is bad for the little fishies, and can get pets banned from the park.

JMerring
11-15-2010, 12:21 PM
I use biodegradable bags - and NO it is not better to let it decompose. This path sits on a river that feeds the Paptasco and that feeds the Chesapeake. Dog poo - like human poo - has lots of bacteria that in large numbers are harmful for watershed area's. If it were only one dog, one time it would be a different situation. In addition, this can spread parasites from one dog to another (or little toddlers...) so it is a responsible thing to clean up after your pet. iI is the law and it is a common use area. If enough dog owners let their pets poo and leave it there... it is bad for the little fishies, and can get pets banned from the park.

fair points all. thanks for enlightening me.

AngryScientist
11-15-2010, 12:29 PM
What is it? Can you post or PM a link to it? Would make a great gift for my bro.

first off, sorry for the xtra large pics,

secondly, i bought mine at a local pet shop, but this is pretty close, and inexpensive. the good news is that its always with me when we're walking away from home.

http://www.barkavenuedogboutique.com/clean-pet-dog-waste-bag-holder-crimson-red-p-544.html

Louis
11-15-2010, 01:52 PM
Sometimes people just suck.

And those that are mean / cruel to animals suck worst of all. :mad:

Seramount
11-15-2010, 01:55 PM
pet excrement is more than just a 'litter' problem, it's a serious public health issue.

here's some stats for my town...Austin, TX.

an estimated 1,327 lbs. of dog waste is deposited into the watershed every
day or nearly 500,000 lbs. per year.

a half-MILLION pounds of feces in local creeks, lakes, and rivers is a major pollution problem.

palincss
11-15-2010, 04:57 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_degree_%28interrogation%29

wc1934
11-15-2010, 08:16 PM
Today I went for a nice 3 mile run with my Mutt. There is a trail near my house (the trolley trail in Oella/Catonsville) that is a favorite for a quick run as it is 1.5 miles up a gentle climb, 1.5 miles back. Lots of folks stroll this park/trail and many bring their dogs. While enjoying some RUSH on my IPOD, I saw a nice, young (late 20's, eraly 30's) couple and their dog walking on the trail. Looked like nice folks! As I approached, I smiled and waved. I then saw their dog (off lead) squat and take a crap. I figured they didn't see it so I paused my music and pointed this out - and was given a dismissive wave and they continued on their merry way. Right next to where this dog left a steaming pile was a family with 2 kids - a baby and a toddler. The toddler was having a grand old time meandering near the new pile of poo. Normally I would have just minded my own business, but something just made me pissed - so I hollered to the couple walking away - "Hey! Do you need a bag to pick up your dog's poop? I have one you can have!" and what did I get? Same dismissive attitude and they continued on their amble down the path. I proceeded to mutter under my breath and pick up their poop, wrap it in my bag, and chase them down. I started to hand them the warm, steaming offering reminding them it was the law and their dog's mess. They stated their dog did not poop to which I replied that I saw it, as did the other couple, and if they did not believe me the bag was still warm. I pretty much forced the girlfriend to take the bag of ***** and waved, smiled, and continued on my run.

Later, while on the return leg, two other people thanked me for doing what I did. I was not so sure it was a wise thing to do, but it just bothers me when I see dog crap on or near a path (don't even get me started on horses...) as there are too few places we can take our dogs as it is. This attitude of thinking it is OK to leave waste just perplexes me - would they be OK if I left a pile on their front porch? On their lawn? On their sidewalk?

Further on the run, I ran into the same couple and they commented 'look, if it isn't the poop police!' - well that was it. I went off on them. Gave them the third degree - then finished my run.

What would you do?

I would not have been able to handle it as well as you - one must speak up to inform the ignorant - litter and throwing cigarette butts out the car window also get to me - not sure why, but it does.

gasman
11-15-2010, 11:14 PM
Dek-

You couldn't have done a better job. Kudos ! Some people are just idiots who don't think about anybody but themselves.

Keith A
11-16-2010, 04:02 PM
Dekonick -- You handled that perfectly IMO.

This reminds me of an incident I had with a neighbor who lived on the street behind me. They had a small dog that kept coming over to our backyard and making a deposit right under our swingset. Not sure why he liked going there, maybe it was the bare dirt under the swings instead of grass. Anyway, both my wife and I tried talking to the dog's owner and she brushed us off with "it's not my dog doing it". At that point, I hadn't seen her dog do his business there, but my kids had and said it was her dog.

One day I was working in the yard and I watched her dog walk across the street to our back yard and drop one in the same place as he always did. I marched over to their house, her child answered the door and the mom refused to come to the door. After giving up on talking to the mom, I grabbed my shovel, picked up the poo, walked back over to their house, dropped it in her open garage, knocked on the door and told the child to tell his mom I left them a present in their garage.

The dog never dropped another load in our yard :D

William
11-18-2010, 05:36 PM
Chuck Norris' dog is trained to pick up his own poop because Chuck Norris will not take crap from anyone.

Just sayin'

Dekonick
11-18-2010, 08:49 PM
Chuck Norris' dog is trained to pick up his own poop because Chuck Norris will not take crap from anyone.

Just sayin'

William - you AND Chuck Norris are my hero's!

BumbleBeeDave
11-18-2010, 08:50 PM
. . . Jens Voigt's dog? :D ;)

BBD