PDA

View Full Version : Pedals

TmcDet
01-31-2004, 10:30 AM
I am having some problems that I think could be caused by my pedals. At the moment I am using Campy ProFit pedals (really like the looks of them) and am having some problems with hot spots. As if the hot spots aren't bad enough from time to time I am awaken by a hurting foot that feels like a hot spot.

Anyone else had this happen?

I have heard real good things about new Shimano pedals and wonder if they would stop this problem.

chuck
01-31-2004, 11:58 AM
I'm not sure that pedals are the "sole" culprit for hot spots. Air circulation, fit of shoe, freedom of movement (float), positioning of the cleat fore/aft are also involved. I would ask what type of riding do you do, and how far do you ride on average?

I used to have hot spots but no longer. Used to hit me at about mile 80-100 on longer rides, more so in hotter weather, and stay with me. Rather than change pedals, I opted for the following: 1) went to quality wool socks year round, 2) replaced manufacturer's insoles with Superfeet insoles (not labeled for running or anything else - get the ones labeled for biking - good LBS should have), 3) moved the cleat from right under the ball of my foot to a position much further back (I do brevets and not races so this is not so much of a power/stroke issue for me as perhaps for others), 4) loosened the straps on my shoes quite a bit.

This winter I've been commuting with sandals. On the very cold days (from zero to 15 degrees), I've put on wool socks over a pair of thinsulate socks (from Cabela's) over a pair of wool socks (3 layers), and my feet are by far the warmest I've ever experienced in winter (much better than Sidi boots imho). Given this success, I'll likely abandon biking shoes altogether come spring. Sandals rule - more comfy, feet breathe, swelling can occur naturally without constriction, feet dry faster in wet weather.

There's nothing worse than riding with the feeling of holding a lighted match right under the ball of your foot for mile after mile. Hope you lose the pain soon.

Chuck

dbrk
01-31-2004, 12:17 PM
I'm not a medical doctor but I have a very similar condition. Basically the ball and center of my right foot are often---walking, riding, waking in bed, driving the car---burning and aching. I've been diagnosed with facisitous (spelling bonk, say, fa-see-eye-tis) or plaintair facisitous. This is most unpleasant. The remedy is massge and excercises---an excellent yoga teacher will know what to do. Further, if it has progressed expect it to linger and if you don't do something about it expect it to get worse. You may be on the wrong spot on your pedal and so putting undue pressure on your foot. Your shoes can be too tight. Check your positioning. If that's okay then it's sort of a stress injury and, well, you will endure it till it goes away. I am currently wondering if mine will ever go away. If it really hurts while riding, get off, take off your shoe and massage your foot like crazy and you'll feel a lot better. Some shoes are better, some are worse. Experiment but listen to the pain. Sorry for the bad news, this may not be your condition but what you describe sounds much like mine for the last year.

dbrk

theoldman
01-31-2004, 12:55 PM
I don't think it is the pedals. I had the same problem until I placed an orthotic foot bed in my shoes. After that, all hotspots were gone.

A good custom orthotic is worth the money. You can have them made by a Dr. of Podiatry or, for less money, go to a high end ski shop. They can make you a pair for about $150.00. I use my orthotic from my Ski boots and it works great.

If your knees hurt, it is probably your pedals, if your feet hurt, it is probably the shoe/footbed/foot alignment/support.

Good luck.

Kevin
01-31-2004, 07:55 PM
Hot spots tend to be caused by:

1. Tight shoes. Have you purchased new shoes recently. Maybe you are wearing thicker socks for winter.

2. Small pedal platform.

3. Cleats that are too far forward. Is it possible that your cleats have shifted? This happened to me last year.

Kevin

cycler48
01-31-2004, 08:00 PM
If the pain is in the ball of your foot and you're having pain there during the night, my guess would be you might have a neuroma. My problem is the same. I've been diagnosed ... both feet ... pain and burning ... and they're painful at night from time to time.

TmcDet
01-31-2004, 11:38 PM
I have had some problems with hot spots ever since I have been riding. I started out riding a mountain bike mostly on the road with SPD pedals which were really bad about hot spots. When I purchased the road bike I ordered the Profits which seemed from pictures to have a cleat of similar size to Looks and the new Shimano's. When the profits came in the cleat itself is close to the size of Looks and Shimano's but the part that actually attaches to the shoe is more the size of a SPD. I do not think the Profits hotspot as bad as the SPD's did and I know that I haven't had the problem with them this bad before.

I had not changed the location of the cleats before Friday's ride which is when this problem really reared its ugly head. I have however recently move my saddle to the head of the bike a tad and Friday I was trying to keep my toes turned in to keeps my legs closer together as I pedaled. I have a feeling that I had my feet in a position that they were not used to and that the cleat was no longer in the proper position on my foot.

For now I am going to play a bit with the position of my cleats to see if that helps any. Today I moved the cleats to the outside of my foot as far as I could and rode for 20 miles. At the end of the 20 miles my foot was starting to hot spot. I moved the cleat a bit and rode for another 10 miles and didn't notice a problem during that time.

Too Tall
02-02-2004, 07:31 AM
Alot of good suggestions here. Couple more things to check. Feel the inside of your shoe carefully and assess that your fasteners are not poking the bottoms of your foot under pressure..don't laugh I've seen it.

Are you shoes stiff? Stiff is good esp. for your issue.

If your shoe has room, consider a small toe lift...a strip of material under all five toes.

Ozz
02-02-2004, 08:06 AM
Lots of good advice here...I have been using Pro-Fits for about a year and have had no problems.

Check out what others have said previously and see if it helps. I'd probably focus on fit of shoe, stiffness of sole, and make sure you don't have screws coming thru the footbed.

If you can't get it fixed and want to unload your pedals, send me a note.

Good luck!