PDA

View Full Version : Campy QS Shifter Question

97CSI
11-14-2010, 12:39 PM
Been offered a pair of Chorus QS shifters and am wondering if they will work with my standard Chorus FD and RD, or do I have to QS there, as well. Also, do the QS models work the same as the previous? That is, can I shift up and down 4 or 5 gears at a time? Thanks.

thwart
11-14-2010, 12:55 PM
In lieu of Dave, let me say that the QS ergos play nice with all other Campy parts. I have a set of QS Chorus carbon ergos set up with non-QS 10 spd stuff, and it's completely a non-issue.

IIRC, the QS front shifting concept allows for smaller lever movements to shift (if both the ergos and FD are QS).

97CSI
11-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Thanks. That's good to read.

sjbraun
11-14-2010, 01:45 PM
There's QS and there's QS. Chorus and every group above it in the Campy pantheon always maintained the ability to shift multiple cogs. Centaur lost that functionality in 2006 and 2008 when Campy used the "escape" mechanism. If I get this correct, in 2009 and 2010, Centaur regained the ability to shift multiple cogs. Alas, in 2011, the escape mechanism returned to Centaur and the groups below it. Many different Campy shifters sport the QS label, though what that means seems to vary either by component group or laymen's understanding. I think Campy uses QS to refer to the amount of lever throw needed to compete a gear change. In discussion, many people seem to equate QS with the much maligned escape mechanicals.

Steve-who gave up looking for 2009-2010 Centuar levers when he came across a NOS set of Record levers and likes being able to slam into a smaller gear when cresting a hill.
PS- all info in this post is distilled from internet sources and simply reflects my understanding of others. I am not a Campy expert nor know much more than I like how Campy ergolevers shift gears.

Mike748
11-14-2010, 03:03 PM
The quick shift FD rises a little faster with lever movement. I've got one in a box upstairs. The difference in lever ration is miniscule. The shifter is only different in the index wheel that the shift lever engages - I think it has finer teeth, so it resets faster. The ratchet that holds the shift detents is the same. So for the shifter the difference is really very little. Overall I think QS is more marketing hype than anything else, but I've never ridden with it.

As Steve correctly points out, this is true for Record and Chorus only. Centaur is confusing.

Dave
11-14-2010, 03:23 PM
All QS does (to the left shifter only) is reduce some of the dead travel from the finger lever. It makes no change to the cable pull. The QS FDs should require a bit less force to operate, but may require one more click to cover the full range of travel (4 instead of 3). You can mix and match whatever combination is desired.

oldpotatoe
11-15-2010, 07:29 AM
Been offered a pair of Chorus QS shifters and am wondering if they will work with my standard Chorus FD and RD, or do I have to QS there, as well. Also, do the QS models work the same as the previous? That is, can I shift up and down 4 or 5 gears at a time? Thanks.

No need for anything 'QS' in terms of derailleurs. Teeny difference in the LH lever but in actual practice, no issue. 'QS' LH levers(Record and Chorus) even work great with non Campagnolo front derailleurs.

oldpotatoe
11-15-2010, 07:32 AM
There's QS and there's QS. Chorus and every group above it in the Campy pantheon always maintained the ability to shift multiple cogs. Centaur lost that functionality in 2006 and 2008 when Campy used the "escape" mechanism. If I get this correct, in 2009 and 2010, Centaur regained the ability to shift multiple cogs. Alas, in 2011, the escape mechanism returned to Centaur and the groups below it. Many different Campy shifters sport the QS label, though what that means seems to vary either by component group or laymen's understanding. I think Campy uses QS to refer to the amount of lever throw needed to compete a gear change. In discussion, many people seem to equate QS with the much maligned escape mechanicals.

Steve-who gave up looking for 2009-2010 Centuar levers when he came across a NOS set of Record levers and likes being able to slam into a smaller gear when cresting a hill.
PS- all info in this post is distilled from internet sources and simply reflects my understanding of others. I am not a Campy expert nor know much more than I like how Campy ergolevers shift gears.

Small, teeny point but Centaur lost it in 2007, not 2006. 2007/2008 Centaur and below were 'Xenon' based innards. 2009/2010, new shape ERGO and they regained the ability previously seen in 2006 and older levers. 2011 they have changed again, going back to xenon like innards for Athena and below.

97CSI
11-15-2010, 07:40 AM
Want to run a set of Chorus QS levers with a Centaur triple FD/RD combo. Will that work?

oldpotatoe
11-15-2010, 07:42 AM
Want to run a set of Chorus QS levers with a Centaur triple FD/RD combo. Will that work?

Yep..no problem.

97CSI
11-15-2010, 02:27 PM
Another Campy question............. What is Record Red? Would a set of them work with my Centaur triple derailleurs?

Gotta get more educated on post-'05 Campy gear. I'm sooooo old-fashioned. My newest ride was made in '03.

Dave
11-15-2010, 04:26 PM
Record red was only offered in 2008, just before the new ultrashift levers came out for '09. The only difference is stiffer g-springs for an even more distinct click when shifting. The shifters will work with any Campy 10 speed drivetrain.

97CSI
11-15-2010, 04:38 PM
Great. Just picked up a pair of '08 Chorus rebuilt with Red springs for $91. Think I got lucky. Thanks.

thwart
11-15-2010, 04:58 PM
Think I got lucky.
I think you stole 'em... ;)

Ralph
11-15-2010, 05:11 PM
Ribble still has new 08 QS Chorus and Record shifters.

oldpotatoe
11-15-2010, 06:07 PM
Ribble still has new 08 QS Chorus and Record shifters.

Actually if you try to 'buy' them, they show out of stock.

Ralph
11-15-2010, 06:32 PM
They had them until recently.

Question....if you're satisfied with how the escape mechanism worked, or the new power shifters, what's so bad about them? Do they last a while? Do they shift easy? Not repairable? I don't really need the ability to dump a bunch of gears, so just wondering.

97CSI
11-15-2010, 07:34 PM
If you are asking about Red, they are a bit more positive when shifted, like pre-QS. For some reason, Campy decided they needed to go 'mushy'. More like that wimpy, girlie-man ShimaNo stuff. Not that I would have an opinion on which is the better of the two, or anything like that.........

Dave
11-16-2010, 07:45 AM
If you are asking about Red, they are a bit more positive when shifted, like pre-QS. For some reason, Campy decided they needed to go 'mushy'. More like that wimpy, girlie-man ShimaNo stuff. Not that I would have an opinion on which is the better of the two, or anything like that.........

QS has nothing to do with the firmness of the clicks. It's a minor change to the LEFT front rachet to eliminate some of the dead travel from the finger lever. It's a feature found on both the traditional (pre2009) Campy mechanism and the escape shifters.

The 2009+ ultrashift mechanism is entirely different than the previous design, eliminating the heavily stressed g-spring that wears out quickly. The ultrashift mechanism will never have the distinct finger lever clicks of the previous design, due to the nature of the mechanism, but they were made more distinct for 2011.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=154068&highlight=inside+2009+ergopower

The escape mechanism wasn't a failure, but I've read plenty of reports about the need for repairs.

The powershift mechanism is not exactly like escape, but similar to it. It's obviously too new to say whether it will have longevity issues. If the lack of multiple shifts to small cogs is not an issue, then it's worth trying. Personally, I'd pay more and buy Chorus 11. If you buy 10 speed, you've got no choice, unless you find some 2010 or older shifters for sale.

97CSI
11-16-2010, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the clarification. I bought a set of '08 Chorus QS that have the Red internals in them. But, as have several 10-speed cassettes and chains, I'll be good with the one less gear (and, hopefully for the next 20-years).

Nags&Ducs
11-18-2010, 02:47 AM
And how that related to single shifts. It seems counter-intuitive. When I hear Escape mechanism, I think of the ability to dump a bunch of gears to the smaller cogs (upshift) and powering away, allowing one to "escape away". Thanks for clearing it up Dave, et al.

FlashUNC
11-18-2010, 07:26 AM
They had them until recently.

Question....if you're satisfied with how the escape mechanism worked, or the new power shifters, what's so bad about them? Do they last a while? Do they shift easy? Not repairable? I don't really need the ability to dump a bunch of gears, so just wondering.

FWIW, I've used a pair of the old-style 10-spd Veloce levers with the Escape mech on my main bike for about two years now, and like them just fine. (I've got a pair of ratcheting Centaur shifters on my back-up bike.)

I'm swapping them out soon to try out the new Campy hood shape on their most recent levers, but they've worked flawlessly for me. If anything, its easier to find the right gear with the Escape mech rather than the ratcheting style when I'm totally knackered. Which is early and often on most group rides.

Also, I've found those levers felt just a touch wider than those that use the ratcheting mechanism. It might just be a placebo effect, but I do feel like there is a subtle width difference.

Mark McM
11-18-2010, 09:29 AM
And how that related to single shifts. It seems counter-intuitive. When I hear Escape mechanism, I think of the ability to dump a bunch of gears to the smaller cogs (upshift) and powering away, allowing one to "escape away". Thanks for clearing it up Dave, et al.

While the original Ergopower shifters used a spring detent mechanism, Escape shifters instead use an escapement mechanism.

Escapements:
http://www.answers.com/topic/escapement
http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tables/Cams_Springs/Escapements.html