PDA

View Full Version : Mighty nice weather in Central Florida this Am.

Ralph
11-14-2010, 09:50 AM
Just finished my normal Sunday AM 35 mile ride. Temps in low 60's when I started, low 70's when I finished. Humidity about 55%. Had to take off my leg warmers about mid way. Not a cloud in the sky, no snow.

Anyone wanting a cycling vacation this time of year, head on down. This is dry weather and low humidity season (for here) until it warms again in late spring and brings rain. Of course, we do sometomes get freezing weather also a little later in winter. There is no better place in US to ride this time of year than here. And we've got some tough hills too.....if that's what you want. And the best trails in US for the whole family to ride , especially this time of year, if that's what you want. Bring the family to do Disney, Universal (Harry Potter), etc, and bring your bike to ride.

And BTW....I get no where near the tourist area. That's not Florida.

rnhood
11-14-2010, 09:55 AM
I'll be there in a week (for Thanksgiving week). Looking forward to it. I especially like riding around Clermont and Mount Dora. Hope the weather holds for another couple weeks.

Elefantino
11-14-2010, 10:01 AM
If any of you happen to be in the area next weekend, be sure to try the Horrible Hundred. (http://www.horrible-hundred.com/) Not really horrible, but a good century with some fun, short climbs.

rugbysecondrow
11-14-2010, 10:04 AM
Leg warmers for mid 60 degree weather? :)

BCS
11-14-2010, 10:08 AM
When you train all summer in heat indices of 110*, the mid 60s are frigid. ;)
I have grown to be very intolerant (soft) of the cold.

Shoeman
11-14-2010, 11:41 AM
Just finished my ride this morning it was in the 70's, course it was on the trainer in the Basement. I'm an old fart on Blood Thinners & I can't stand it below 50's.

KeithS
11-14-2010, 11:53 AM
We stay away from Central FL too. Just signed a rental agreement, booked plane tickets, rented a car. We are spending 10 days in March on Marco. I have shipped my bike in the past. I may try renting this year. PIA factor for renting much lower. Cost almost equal. Always looking for someone to ride with Ralph. Don't mind the drive, we rent a house with a pool so my wife and the kids have enough to do if I'm gone. I'm not so very fast, but after a long winter of indoor riding in MN I have a smile on my face the whole week in Florida.
November 19th marks the beginning of the "continuous snow cover season" here in Minnesota. It is almost over when we get home on the 19th of March. We ride with Coach Troy and Spinervals on the Kurt Kinetic trainers four days a week from next Tuesday through mid March. I rode outside for the last time last Sunday it was 60 and sunny. Yesterday we got about a foot of snow so the outdoor season is over for me.

Ralph
11-14-2010, 03:42 PM
I've been retired for 12 years now, and am very fortunate in that my wife doesn't mind if I load up my bike and take off for a while for a road trip when ever I want to. I've ridden about everywhere in US at some time of year. And believe that about everywhere in US has some terrific riding some time of the year. I've even driven from Florida to Alaska.

I do admit to especially liking Colorado front range when weather is nice. Boulder to Fort Collins. Also enjoyed riding the Glenwood Canyon trail in Glenwood Springs, though trail not so good. Also liked riding out of Frisco, but weather not predictable. There is a trail along the river between Aspen and Glenwood Springs that I haven't ridden that looks interesting, or some parts of it anyway. When I'm new to an area, I usually do the trails until I'm comfortable with the area and getting on the local roads.

The thing about Florida is that while we also have a few months of the year when cycling is terrific, you can also ride year around here. In the summer, when it's hot and humid, I just get out early, then get home about mid morning, and relax in the pool. Life is good, even if it's hot.

Just saying that this a great time to bring a bike to Central Florida if some of you are looking for a trip. Stay around Winter Garden, use the trail thru the middle of town to get to the hilly area. Ride around some of the large lakes in Clermont area from there. You can easily do the tourist thing from there also.