PDA

View Full Version : Ebay: When to leave negative feedback

Wilkinson4
11-13-2010, 09:29 PM
I have been an ebay member for over 10 years, I have almost 800 transactions as a seller and buyer, and a 100% feedback rating. Over that time I have had a few bad experiences as a buyer, and one as a seller.

Anyway, I just had one that left me frustrated and I got fed up. I won a pair of MKS Cube pedals which I use on most of my bikes b/c they are good pedals, as well as being cheap. I thought I got real lucky and won them for .02 cents since nobody else bid. The shipping was very high at over $14.00 via USPS priority.

Twelve days later the package arrives parcel post. I open it up and instead of a pair of MKS pedals I got a pair of cheap Welgo pedals. I wrote the seller and all I did was ask for a refund since the item was not as described.

What followed was an exchange where I was called a liar, an extortionist, and a general tone that just left me astonished at the lack of customer service. Then the final straw was the seller agreed to refund in full only after I left positive feedback. Who is the extortionist now? I was ready to accept the refund and send the pedals back but when they took that tact, where I would only get my money back after I left positive feedback I just had enough and escalated the dispute to customer service and then left negative feedback immediately.

Did I over react? I think I have only left negative feed back once and then it was mutually withdrawn. But this guy was just a dishonest soul and I kept trying to take the high road.

mIKE

Peter B
11-13-2010, 09:54 PM
Mike, I know from personal experience you are not an extortionist.

IME eBay's 'buyer protection' is a farce. For me, for $14.02, I'd just write it off, frustrating as that is. Better that than potentially deal with the seller's negative feedback on your rating.

rice rocket
11-13-2010, 10:18 PM
Sellers can't leave negative feedback anymore, so hate away. :)

I got dicked around by some vendor in Florida, led me on for a month, and finally got fed up and made him refund my money. Left negative feedback. Honestly, if something went wrong, people need to know. And maybe they'll rethink their tone next time.

gone
11-13-2010, 11:14 PM
I definitely don't think you overreacted. You gave the seller a chance to make it right and instead of taking advantage of it he accused you of trying to cheat him. Negative feedback is definitely in order to warn others.

vqdriver
11-14-2010, 12:20 AM
In that situation I don't know that you had any choice BUT to leave neg feedback. You did what the whole feedback thing is intended for. The 14.02 on your part is nothing. The 14.02 for him doesn't seem worthwhile.

oldpotatoe
11-14-2010, 07:23 AM
I have been an ebay member for over 10 years, I have almost 800 transactions as a seller and buyer, and a 100% feedback rating. Over that time I have had a few bad experiences as a buyer, and one as a seller.

Anyway, I just had one that left me frustrated and I got fed up. I won a pair of MKS Cube pedals which I use on most of my bikes b/c they are good pedals, as well as being cheap. I thought I got real lucky and won them for .02 cents since nobody else bid. The shipping was very high at over $14.00 via USPS priority.

Twelve days later the package arrives parcel post. I open it up and instead of a pair of MKS pedals I got a pair of cheap Welgo pedals. I wrote the seller and all I did was ask for a refund since the item was not as described.

What followed was an exchange where I was called a liar, an extortionist, and a general tone that just left me astonished at the lack of customer service. Then the final straw was the seller agreed to refund in full only after I left positive feedback. Who is the extortionist now? I was ready to accept the refund and send the pedals back but when they took that tact, where I would only get my money back after I left positive feedback I just had enough and escalated the dispute to customer service and then left negative feedback immediately.

Did I over react? I think I have only left negative feed back once and then it was mutually withdrawn. But this guy was just a dishonest soul and I kept trying to take the high road.

mIKE

Leave negative feedback, he will respond, move on. I sold a used BB to a guy in Tiawan and he left negative feedback because the BB was used(?)...

It's $14.02, it's ebay..not the end or the beginning of the world.

bigflax925
11-14-2010, 08:25 AM
Not only should you leave negative feedback, file a complaint with PayPal. While it may not do any good, sometimes they can/will leverage the seller to do the right thing. If you paid via PayPal with a CC, file a chargeback with your CC company. AmEx is a pretty good one.