PDA

View Full Version : thanks forum

flickwet
11-12-2010, 09:02 PM
Thanksgiving is coming and I really gotta say something, found out today from my MRI report that arthritis has destroyed my hip it the report actually said "obliterated". Now I'm gonna need a total replacement. For me, as for many of you, cycling is the one thing that defines me. I really don't know where I would be without it, for myself I would be lost (fat). When I got home I was really bummed. Ya know, the first place I researched anything on hip replacement was the search on this forum, the knowledge and consideration the forumites have shared over the years is amazing.While I am certainly not looking forward to the procedure I am now far more optimistic and better prepared to ask some questions.

As many of you know there's a unique soul, a culture, to this site that isn't present on other forums (certainly not across the hall) what with Pete and others going through much more trying times I really appreciate this band of brothers and sisters (wow the percocet are working) now get outta here.

Louis
11-12-2010, 09:08 PM
FW, sorry to hear that.

I don't know anything about the health details on this, but I do know that having a positive attitude and looking forward to the future is one of keys to a good recovery.

Time to start making plans for a really cool new bike to ride when you get your new hip. :)

thwart
11-12-2010, 09:13 PM
You too, could be Floyd Landis... well, nevermind... :o

You'll be riding again. Without pain.

Lifelover
11-12-2010, 09:37 PM
Your cycling fitness is sure to pay dividends through recovery. GEtting back on the road will make a great carrot.

What makes this forum different is shared acknowledgement that there are many more important things than cycling.

Sharing is one of them

Thanks and good luck.

rounder
11-12-2010, 09:54 PM
A guy who rides with us had a hip replacement last year. He was dreading it. He bought an excercise bike after the surgery and trained over the winter. By spring, he was riding as he ever was.

PacNW2Ford
11-12-2010, 10:00 PM
People I know who've had one say it was life changing. Good luck!

TAW
11-12-2010, 10:07 PM
Hope this goes well for you and you can get back to enjoying yourself again. Many of the folks I know that have had hip replacement have done well. ;)

Dekonick
11-12-2010, 10:16 PM
My mom had one and is as mobile as you can ever imagine a 70 year old woman... she puts many 20 year old folks to shame!

You will be better than new...

cheater...

:)

Ahneida Ride
11-13-2010, 12:14 AM
My mom had one and is as mobile as you can ever imagine a 70 year old woman... she puts many 20 year old folks to shame!

You will be better than new...

cheater...

:)

My Mom had hers done at 91. Took about 6 months to heal, but she
is walking with no assistance and almost back to 100%. :beer:
Miracles do occur ! :hello:

vqdriver
11-13-2010, 03:40 AM
You are a man among men to ride thru so much pain as to obliterate your hip.

Best of luck with the procedure and recovery.

Maybe you can get something 'bionic'???

Johny
11-13-2010, 05:05 AM
...there's a unique soul...

I feel you bro. Get well soon.

AngryScientist
11-13-2010, 08:03 AM
i just mentioned the same to another forumite, my father-in-law recently went through double hip replacement surgery, both of his hips needed total replacement. he testified that the pain from the surgery and recovery period were nothing compared to the pain he was living with before the surgery.

think of it as a bike with a worn-out bottom bracket - pull the old one out, slap a new one in, and you've got a bike that pedals like new again.

you'll be back in no time. :beer:

93legendti
11-13-2010, 08:05 AM
Feel better!

csm
11-13-2010, 11:06 AM
think of it as a bike with a worn-out bottom bracket - pull the old one out, slap a new one in, and you've got a bike that pedals like new again.

you'll be back in no time. :beer:

just make certain it's a phil wood bb with ceramic bearings....

flickwet
11-13-2010, 05:43 PM
just make certain it's a phil wood bb with ceramic bearings....
perfect! or should I go bb30

97CSI
11-13-2010, 07:47 PM
Getting my new hip on the 22nd. Ceramic-on-ceramic. Plan is to be back on the bike by spring. Once you select your surgeon get busy on all the pre-op exercises to help speed your recovery. Good luck with all (and be thankful it isn't a knee).

SamIAm
11-13-2010, 09:54 PM
As many of you know there's a unique soul, a culture, to this site that isn't present on other forums (certainly not across the hall) what with Pete and others going through much more trying times I really appreciate this band of brothers and sisters (wow the percocet are working) now get outta here.

Amen to that!

etu
11-13-2010, 10:24 PM
i would imagine the toughest part of your experience may be the rehab rather than the immediate post-operative recovery.
a positive attitude will obviously help, but patience with the rehab process and discipline to stick with a reasonable schedule will be key.
your bike will be always be there waiting for you. ;)
good luck!

rdparadise
11-13-2010, 10:33 PM
FW:

Best of luck with your surgery and hip replacement. I assume you are getting both done simultaneously? Our thoughts and positive mojo are with you now and through the process. Check back in often and keep us updated on yoru progress.

Regards,

Bob

tlarwa
11-13-2010, 10:53 PM
I had a THR a couple years ago at the (relateively) young age (for hip replacement patients) of 47. My doctor and PTs all said that I made the fastest and most complete recovery they'd ever seen, and they attributed it to my age and physical condition (from cycling). Anyway, I did a 60-mile charity ride about 7 weeks after the surgery, and haven't looked back. It took a year + to finally lose my limp, but it did go away. This year, I rode 3000+ miles, mostly with the "hammer" group on my club rides. No issues whatsoever. My point, I guess, is that I'm as good as ever (which isn't necessarily "good" compared to many other cyclists) and certainly worlds better than I was before the surgery (when I could barely swing my leg over the top tube). It was truly a life-changing surgery, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

Tom

flickwet
11-14-2010, 12:57 AM
you all rule!

BTW, signed up at the JCC today and started doing what I can, If I can't ride I will devote myself to being ready to ride, when the Doc says go, I'm goin'

flickwet
11-14-2010, 01:03 AM
Swimming sure ain't ridin' a bike. Slow, no view, no thrill, my god its work; and I won't admire anyone's custom...anything.

harlond
11-14-2010, 07:14 AM
I had hip-resurfacing in October 2007, and I'm riding as well as ever (considering how fat and out-of-shape I am). My experience is that it has no adverse impact on your riding and probably will aid your flexibility. Good luck, and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

RABikes2
11-15-2010, 12:41 AM
I have a few friends who have had hip replacements. One particular guy, in his late 60's, continues to train hard and does numerous triathlons a year. He rides his bike like an animal, swims a few times a week, but runs shorter distances now (impact). Swimming and water running are great for rehab exercises.

Keep your spirit up, think positive, and you are going to do great. Riding will be so wonderful when you are recovered since the pain will be gone! I agree that your fitness level is going to benefit you through the surgery and recovery. Your bike will be there for you when you are healed and ready.

May the wind be at your back for a full recovery.

RA

William
11-15-2010, 04:20 AM
We'll send you all the good Mojo we can muster!! Lean on us when you need to...then ride us off your wheel to the Town line when you're feeling better. :D We'll love you no matter what. :banana:

Best of luck!!!

William

giverdada
11-15-2010, 06:15 AM
both of my grandparents have had their hips replaced, my grandmother being the latest candidate this past july. the change is amazing. it's probably like getting off of a mountain bike and hammering out your first ride on a road bike that even remotely fits - you didn't know all of the things that were wrong until you got them thoroughly fixed! i remember my grandfather tossing a frisbee with us. and he currently walks about 3 miles a day to keep in shape and in touch with my mom. and my grandmother smiles and moves a lot more than she used to. i am sure it's a huge obstacle for daily living and certainly for riding, but it seems that the future is bright. best of luck!

flickwet
11-15-2010, 11:38 AM
I want my misspent youth back! and all my friends are gonna help. Thanks all, the positive responses really keep me optimistic,