PDA

View Full Version : Date this frame!

brianplaugher
11-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Help! Nobody at Serotta central has any way to figure out the vintage of the Serotta frame I bought off of ebay. Steel, lugged, cable guides brazed to top of bottom bracket shell, 130mm rear spacing. Been repainted, so no decals to read. Let me know if you can help me figure out when it was born.
Brian
brian.plaugher@gmail.com

Keith A
11-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Post some pictures and there's a good chance that the forum members will be able to help you out.

Hard Fit
11-12-2010, 12:28 PM
You know you really need to get a life when you start dating a frame.

dave thompson
11-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Help! Nobody at Serotta central has any way to figure out the vintage of the Serotta frame I bought off of ebay. Steel, lugged, cable guides brazed to top of bottom bracket shell, 130mm rear spacing. Been repainted, so no decals to read. Let me know if you can help me figure out when it was born.
Brian
brian.plaugher@gmail.com
Post the serial number, stamped on the bottom bracket. Without factory paint and model decals, anything is going to be an educated WAG (wild-ass guess).

If it has the cable guides on the top of the bottom bracket, that would most likely make it somewhere in the mid-80s. By the late 80s Serotta was putting the cable guides on the bottom of the bottom bracket. Also if yours has 130MM rear spacing, I'd think it has been changed to that dimension by someone.

gone
11-12-2010, 02:58 PM
You know you really need to get a life when you start dating a frame.

Yeah, I don't know that I'd want to commit to a date. Perhaps meeting for drinks followed by an evening of torrid sex? :D

dave thompson
11-12-2010, 03:05 PM
Yeah, I don't know that I'd want to commit to a date. Perhaps meeting for drinks followed by an evening of torrid sex? :D
You like bicycles that much!?!? :eek:

Pete Serotta
11-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Post the serial number, stamped on the bottom bracket. Without factory paint and model decals, anything is going to be an educated WAG (wild-ass guess).

If it has the cable guides on the top of the bottom bracket, that would most likely make it somewhere in the mid-80s. By the late 80s Serotta was putting the cable guides on the bottom of the bottom bracket. Also if yours has 130MM rear spacing, I'd think it has been changed to that dimension by someone.

PETE