PDA

View Full Version : 26" wheel hardtail mtn bikes dead?

LegendRider
11-12-2010, 06:53 AM
I'm looking for a mountain bike and have ruled out full-suspension because of cost and the fact I will probably ride on the road to some local trails. Ideally I'd like a hardtail 29er (Niner or Superfly) but there are some really great deals on hardtail 26" wheels bikes out there. Am I sacrificing too much performance? Is the hardtail 26" wheel bike dead?

oldpotatoe
11-12-2010, 07:09 AM
I'm looking for a mountain bike and have ruled out full-suspension because of cost and the fact I will probably ride on the road to some local trails. Ideally I'd like a hardtail 29er (Niner or Superfly) but there are some really great deals on hardtail 26" wheels bikes out there. Am I sacrificing too much performance? Is the hardtail 26" wheel bike dead?

Hardly. If the size of the rider is smallish, 29ers won't work unless the frame and front suspension is custom. Look at this, nice ride.

http://gunnarbikes.com/site/bikes/rock-hound

old fat man
11-12-2010, 08:04 AM
the 26 inch hardtail is not dead, there is just a greater desire for full suspension or for 29 inch wheels these days. ride all three on your usual trails and then decide which works best for you.

avalonracing
11-12-2010, 08:20 AM
Am I sacrificing too much performance? Is the hardtail 26" wheel bike dead?

Sacrificing too much performance? I don't know. I don't think that all mountain bike racing records and been shattered by the scary performance boost of the 29" wheel bike. ;)

Yesterday I was out on my 26" Ti Seven Sola. I had a great time, I was cleaning all the roots, rocks and ruts in my path and I don't remember any of the 29'ers riders that I saw yesterday waiting to get past me on the single track.

Hmmm, I just wonder if the 29" craze has anything to do with getting people to buy an additional bike or replace their 26" bike.

BTW- I'm 6' tall... not a shorter guy desperately holding on to a smaller wheeled bike. I just hate trends, misinformation and group-think.

lemondsteel
11-12-2010, 08:40 AM
I have (3) 26" hardtails and never even considered a 29r. All have front suspension and I love em. I do ride the road occasionally but not enough to warrant a change. Never given the trail to a faster bike. Maybe a better rider but not because he had the new and next great big wheel. There is a lot of great deals on traditional hardtails. As for rear suspension.... I seem to lose too much power on the uphills on single track. I even swithched back to the wonderful Shimano SL MT-62 thumb shifters that NEVER fail and work better than anything currently available. Grip Shifts will never be on my bikes again. For what it's worth.... Joe

rugbysecondrow
11-12-2010, 08:43 AM
I think it is just about preference and what sort of riding one does. For me, I like the 29er and I have two (geared and SS) Redlines rigids. I ride XC mostly and am not a dive-bomber downhill. For me, on a 26er, it just feels too small and not natural...not a very great explanation.

fourflys
11-12-2010, 09:00 AM
I think for most people, a 26er or 29er would be fine... 29ers do have the advantage of rolling over thing a little easier, but have a bigger disadvantage when going uphill IMHO... I'm also not sold on the "suspension" thing that a 29er is supposed to hold over a 26er...

I do think they will each ride a little different, but not enough to warrant buying one over the other or saying the 26" is dead... I've heard 29ers are near as popular over in Europe, that 26" still hold a big chunk of the market...

question- why no full suspension? I was thinking a hardtail as well and ran across a great deal on a used Santa Cruz and couldn't be happier... if you get the right FS, it can climb almost as well as a hardtail and is so much more fun going down... at least that's what I've found...

sixfootbrit
11-12-2010, 02:51 PM
To quote Doug Robinson, Great Pacific Iron Works Catalog 1974, used in the 1992 Bridgestone Bicycle Catalog~

"Technology is imposed on the land, but technique means conforming to the landscape. One forces a passage, while the other discovers it. The goal of developing technique is to conform to the most improbable landscape by means of the greatest degree of skill and boldness supported by the least equipment."

The 26" wheeled rigid mountain bike satisfies this requirement and is therefore not dead IMHO.

ThomasRZ
11-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Plenty of people are buying 'em, myself included (NOS '08 Jamis Dragon), Europeans especially.

29ers are awesome, but they won't transform the experience.

I'm still into hardtails, but I do all my trail riding in Illinois/Ohio/WI and never wanted for full squish.

majl
11-12-2010, 05:15 PM
Is the hardtail 26" wheel bike dead?I hope not. Just bought a new frame today that will replace a Specialized Epic and join my SS 29er.

Dekonick
11-12-2010, 05:57 PM
I really like my 26" Ellsworth Truth... I only ride off road a few times a year so why change?

yakstone
11-12-2010, 06:09 PM
I ride a 1994 Ibis Ti-Joe and still absolutely love it everytime I get it out. This ride has a SID on the front with an Avid disc and is a 1 X 9. I go everywhere that anyone else can go. I have been passed by better riders but have yet to see somebody take me just because they had a 29'er.
Also in my stable is a Dean Ti SS fully rigid, man i love this ride too. Each has its place. Likewise, I am not a "Trendy" type person. I have had a couple of full suspension rides but I prefer the HT. sometimes less technology is better; that's what I love about the SS.

Lifelover
11-12-2010, 06:26 PM
26" MTB = Ti or Steel Frames

Not the current craze but capable of more than you or I could ever get out of them.

Dlevy05
11-12-2010, 06:33 PM
http://gunnarbikes.com/site/bikes/rock-hound

I'd love to build one of those up as a monster cross bike... That'll be my next project as soon as my road ride is dialed in properly!

fourflys
11-12-2010, 06:43 PM
26" MTB = Ti or Steel Frames

Not the current craze but capable of more than you or I could ever get out of them.

why just Ti or steel? There are some mighty fine aluminum frames as well in 26"... Ibis make one heck of a 26 in carbon (although FS...)

Lifelover
11-12-2010, 06:56 PM
why just Ti or steel? There are some mighty fine aluminum frames as well in 26"... Ibis make one heck of a 26 in carbon (although FS...)

I meant that 26" MTBs are viewed like Ti or Steel Frames. Carbon is the current craze like 29er are the current craze.

I'm in full agreement with you on there being great aluminum MTBs.

ATMO, frame material means nothing for FS MTB's and it means damn near nothing for hardtails.

McQueen
11-12-2010, 07:39 PM
I have always been a stubborn hard tailer. And this year I went to a hard tail 29er, and I absolutely love it.. For me there's something about the size of the bike and the ride quality that I think suits me more as a (primarily) road rider.

If you are looking at the Superfly, (did I see that mentioned), check out the specialized expert carbon 29er.. A good value at the price point.

fourflys
11-12-2010, 07:54 PM
I meant that 26" MTBs are viewed like Ti or Steel Frames. Carbon is the current craze like 29er are the current craze.

I'm in full agreement with you on there being great aluminum MTBs.

ATMO, frame material means nothing for FS MTB's and it means damn near nothing for hardtails.

gotcha...

BTW- I'd LOVE to have Garro build me a steel 650b or 26" one day...

Jack Brunk
11-12-2010, 08:05 PM
The 29 inch wheel changed my whole way and being when on a bike. I now consider myself a real mountain bike rider instead of a timid wanta be guy in the dirt. Stability on the trail is one huge benefit on tight switchback singletrack. Stuff that I'd go well maybe I'm better off walking now I just point and ride the heck out of it. I can climb faster, go downhill faster and overall I'm just flat out faster. For me 26 wheels are in the past. Racing starts in January.

Love 29er's baby!