PDA

View Full Version : Concours or Ottrott?

97CSI
11-12-2010, 05:19 AM
As it usually works out, just after purchasing a very nice '01 Concours frame I've been offered a similar '03 Ottrott frame. Which would you choose and why? Thanks for your input.

soulspinner
11-12-2010, 05:30 AM
Id pick the bike least like my other bike(s).

97CSI
11-12-2010, 05:45 AM
My other bikes are both lugged steel, so the Concours and Ottrott are quite dissimilar.

spartacus
11-12-2010, 05:54 AM
The best fitting one?

97CSI
11-12-2010, 06:12 AM
Both are stock 54x54 Serotta geometry.

Mike748
11-12-2010, 06:13 AM
I had a titanium Fierte which isn't too different from a Concours I think, and then bought an Ottrott. I found the Ottrott to have much more snap under power, carve turns much better, and be an overall more satisfying ride. And I'm one who doesn't really notice small differences in frames. So I'd vote Ottrott. May sure the rear pivots are in good shape.

93legendti
11-12-2010, 06:14 AM
I had a Concours and Ottrott ST at the same time and kept the Ottrott. My Ottrott is perfect and I wouldn't change a thing. It's a pleasure to ride.

trophyoftexas
11-12-2010, 06:36 AM
Ottrott....I have 14 bikes and if I was restricted to one-for-life (heaven forbid!) it would be my Ottrott. Everytime I ride it I'm like "why do I ride all of the others"....then I remember that my steel lugged stuff is simply art on wheels. Ottrott, NO question.

happycampyer
11-12-2010, 07:29 AM
The ride of my (well, now 54ny77's*) Ottrott is truly unique. Another vote for the Ottrott.

*It was a dealer demo that was too small for me, so I ended up riding it less than I would have otherwise. I will replace it for sure.

Smiley
11-12-2010, 07:44 AM
OTTROTT, from a guy that knows the Serotta line very well. Don't think about it anymore, no brainer.

SEABREEZE
11-12-2010, 09:03 AM
Christmas is coming, you now have steel and Ti, go for the Ottrott, but keep
the other two as well. You have the best of all the worlds,well almost, you need to add an all carbon, man, do I Ilike spending others money...

Kidding aside, go for the Ottrott, if its a good fit...

Good luck with your decesion.

Update:

If the possiblity exists, go for a ride on the Ottrott, the ride will make your decesion a lot easier...

terrytnt
11-12-2010, 09:21 AM
I've had my Ottrott ST for 5 years now and ride 6500 per year. I absolutely love this frame (but then I only have my Vitus Mavic Pro Group to compare) boy does that date me!!!

Seriously, I ride the Ottrott with Record and tubulars... it doesn't get any better for me!

Go Ottrott!

Ken Robb
11-12-2010, 09:50 AM
Since I gather that you got them used so neither was built to your specs I think you should ride them both and keep the one that rides best for YOU.

I respect the opinions that the Ottrot would be better than the Concours IF they were both built to your specs but that's not the case here is it? OTOH If you can get the original design sheet you could probably make an informed guess/decision.

54ny77
11-12-2010, 09:55 AM
Umm, uhhhh.... ;) :D :banana:

The ride of my (well, now 54ny77's*) Ottrott is truly unique. Another vote for the Ottrott.

*It was a dealer demo that was too small for me, so I ended up riding it less than I would have otherwise. I will replace it for sure.

CNY rider
11-12-2010, 09:59 AM
Since I gather that you got them used so neither was built to your specs I think you should ride them both and keep the one that rides best for YOU.

I respect the opinions that the Ottrot would be better than the Concours IF they were both built to your specs but that's not the case here is it? OTOH If you can get the original design sheet you could probably make an informed guess/decision.

This is the real key.
I bought an Ottrott many years ago on the classifieds. Fit was good but it was built for a bigger, stronger more aggressive rider and the ride was not what I was looking for.
Finding out the weight and riding style of the original buyer would help if possible.

ergott
11-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Send the both to me. Which ever one I send back is the one you should keep.

Lifelover
11-12-2010, 11:06 AM
This thread is useless without pictures. Buy the one that looks better.

97CSI
11-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Bowing to the greater good, I have, of course, purchased them both. Once the Ottrott arrives I'll post pic's and let you decide (the collective 'you' rather than the royal 'you', that is). Another week or so, I am guessing.

For the impatient (like me) the Concours pic is over here:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=847317#post847317

Pete Serotta
11-12-2010, 04:47 PM
:hello: great bike,,,if a 57cm send to me and I will evaluate over the winter riding time :D

PETE

97CSI
11-13-2010, 07:42 PM
slowgoing was kind enough to sell me his 54x54 Ottrott so I can decide which is best for myself. Will likely be a visual selection, as I won't want to build them both up. Maybe I'll just hang them as art. Both are beautiful pieces of American craftsmanship.

Who are the likely culprits for welding up the '01 Concours and the '03 Ottrott? KB? Whom else?

Smiley
11-13-2010, 07:49 PM
slowgoing was kind enough to sell me his 54x54 Ottrott so I can decide which is best for myself. Will likely be a visual slection, as I won't want to build them both up. Maybe I'll just hang them as art. Both are beautiful pieces of American craftsmanship.

Who are the likely culprits for welding up the '01 Concours and the '03 Ottrott? KB? Whom else?
Kelly does not weld in TIG, that would have been Andy if I had to guess.

veloduffer
11-13-2010, 09:17 PM
Bowing to the greater good, I have, of course, purchased them both. Once the Ottrott arrives I'll post pic's and let you decide (the collective 'you' rather than the royal 'you', that is). Another week or so, I am guessing.

Awesome! :banana: :hello: :beer:

I think you'll really like the Ottrott. While I have a Concours, it is a cross bike so I can't compare.