PDA

View Full Version : Fulcrum 7s are LOUD....Race Wheels?

hairylegs
11-12-2010, 12:54 AM
So the sound of the freewheel on the Fulcrum 7s that came with my Look Tribike are soooooo loud! I'm kinda considering getting a racing wheel setup anyway which I might leave on most of the time, but in the meantime anybody have any tricks/pointers for quieting a freehub? I saw one on a google search involving a dremal tool....but not sure if that's such a good idea!

Those Dura-Ace tubeless on Bonktown sure look great though.....or the Mavic SLRs....I guess either wheel would more or less work as all around wheels, right? I could also get that Jtek adapter and interchange wheels on my Campy-based Serotta.

Would love your thoughts! I kinda want to hold out on new wheels for awhile if I can quiet down the Fulcrums...on the other hand if the Dura-Ace or Mavics will make my day to day riding that much more enjoyable...why wait?

thegunner
11-12-2010, 12:58 AM
you shouldn't hear your freehub if you're pedaling. just sayin'

vqdriver
11-12-2010, 01:25 AM
Maybe add some grease
When I changed the cassette body from campy to shimano it quieted down considerably. That's assuming fulcrum and campy hubs are the same.

AngryScientist
11-12-2010, 06:14 AM
i actually really like the campy-esque loud freehubs, i wouldnt do anything to "quiet" them, thats the way they're designed to sound...

oldpotatoe
11-12-2010, 07:12 AM
So the sound of the freewheel on the Fulcrum 7s that came with my Look Tribike are soooooo loud! I'm kinda considering getting a racing wheel setup anyway which I might leave on most of the time, but in the meantime anybody have any tricks/pointers for quieting a freehub? I saw one on a google search involving a dremal tool....but not sure if that's such a good idea!

Those Dura-Ace tubeless on Bonktown sure look great though.....or the Mavic SLRs....I guess either wheel would more or less work as all around wheels, right? I could also get that Jtek adapter and interchange wheels on my Campy-based Serotta.

Would love your thoughts! I kinda want to hold out on new wheels for awhile if I can quiet down the Fulcrums...on the other hand if the Dura-Ace or Mavics will make my day to day riding that much more enjoyable...why wait?

3 pawls and that noise means they are workin'. You can apply a LIGHT film of grasso to the teeth that are engaged by the pawls..oil the pawls.

Stay away from the Mavic..the very epitome of a crappy rear hub.

AngryScientist
11-12-2010, 07:15 AM
Stay away from the Mavic.

i agree, mavic's heyday is gone IMO, for whatever money you would pay for the mavic name, there are a hundred better performing wheels for the same green.

skijoring
11-12-2010, 07:31 AM
I think oldpotatoe gets paid for every negative post he throws up about Mavic rear hub design. :D

oldpotatoe
11-12-2010, 07:33 AM
I think oldpotatoe gets paid for every negative post he throws up about Mavic rear hub design. :D

Same thing for AngryScientist, he agreed with me as do many others. Or ya just don't like it when I say it?

I don't get paid when I say it, but I do get paid everytime I overhaul a FTS-L hub, which is often.

Look, if ya like your mavic wheels, groovy, but there are much better designed rear hubs out there. Mavic refuses to upgrade their rear hub in spite of YEARS of problems with it.

R2D2
11-12-2010, 07:58 AM
Same thing for AngryScientist, he agreed with me as do many others. Or ya just don't like it when I say it?

I don't get paid when I say it, but I do get paid everytime I overhaul a FTS-L hub, which is often.

Look, if ya like your mavic wheels, groovy, but there are much better designed rear hubs out there. Mavic refuses to upgrade their rear hub in spite of YEARS of problems with it.

+1.

Dave
11-12-2010, 08:01 AM
I have to agree about the Mavic hub. There are only two wimpy pawls with shallow engagement and weak springs. I've got a rear wheel that occasionally slips a tooth or two, right after I start pedaling from a brief coast. I replaced the cassette body, pawls and springs, but it still does it once in awhile.

skijoring
11-12-2010, 08:09 AM
I don't use 'em, I don't ride 'em. Peace my forum pals.

OldP - have you sent Mavic any feedback on their hub design? Serious question.

oldpotatoe
11-12-2010, 08:50 AM
I don't use 'em, I don't ride 'em. Peace my forum pals.

OldP - have you sent Mavic any feedback on their hub design? Serious question.

Yes, talked to a French Mavic guy who visited the shop and he, once again, gave the industry, 'really, never heard of that problem before' type answer. They did come out with 'red' pawls(don't fit on road hubs), said the sluggishness was from 'pawl dust' and a softer seal for the base, which did nuthin.

So, just about everytime I tune a bike with these hubs I OVH the rear hub as well. install the .5mm axle apscer('tech tip from the mavic outside rep), clean it, oil it.

Along with backordered rims that come unexpectedly(thanks, really wanted 10 CXP-33 in November, and the shipping cost $55!!), inability to fill an order then invoice it at the same prices per item(that only took about 2 weeks of calls), out of stock things like cold weather gear(hello, it's NOVEMBER) and sending a wheel back for rim replacement only to find out they overhauled the hub also, for an additional $70($70????)...I'm pretty tired of Mavic.

So for 2011, 36 hole Mavic rims, but just a few and the remainder of 32 and 28h rims from DT and Velocity. 415, 465, 585, 450 models, Aerohead, A23, Escape, Major Tom, Deep V. No 'preseason' pricing from these guys but no headaches either.

There seems to be some sort of shakeup going on at Mavic USA. They seem really gooned up. As one of their customers, i think I'll look elsewhere.

skijoring
11-12-2010, 09:03 AM
Yes, talked to a French Mavic guy who visited the shop and he, once again, gave the industry, 'really, never heard of that problem before' type answer. They did come out with 'red' pawls(don't fit on road hubs), said the sluggishness was from 'pawl dust' and a softer seal for the base, which did nuthin.

So, just about everytime I tune a bike with these hubs I OVH the rear hub as well. install the .5mm axle apscer('tech tip from the mavic outside rep), clean it, oil it.

Along with backordered rims that come unexpectedly(thanks, really wanted 10 CXP-33 in November, and the shipping cost $55!!), inability to fill an order then invoice it at the same prices per item(that only took about 2 weeks of calls), out of stock things like cold weather gear(hello, it's NOVEMBER) and sending a wheel back for rim replacement only to find out they overhauled the hub also, for an additional $70($70????)...I'm pretty tired of Mavic.

So for 2011, 36 hole Mavic rims, but just a few and the remainder of 32 and 28h rims from DT and Velocity. 415, 465, 585, 450 models, Aerohead, A23, Escape, Major Tom, Deep V. No 'preseason' pricing from these guys but no headaches either.

There seems to be some sort of shakeup going on at Mavic USA. They seem really gooned up. As one of their customers, i think I'll look elsewhere.

Interesting stuff, OP. Thanks for the reply...Do you like their A719 rims and the other touring model?

zap
11-12-2010, 09:40 AM
i agree, mavic's heyday is gone IMO, for whatever money you would pay for the mavic name, there are a hundred better performing wheels for the same green.

Agree as well.

oldpotatoe
11-12-2010, 12:18 PM
Interesting stuff, OP. Thanks for the reply...Do you like their A719 rims and the other touring model?

Yes, I like the A719 but also like the 585 and some of the TK rims from DT...more.

hairylegs
11-12-2010, 02:09 PM
Yeah, I pedal most of the time.... ;)

Trying to grease it up a bit and I got the pawl spring back in...but there's a 90' angle on it and I can't figure out how it's supposed to fit in. Anybody got a good reference for this? Google is pretty unhelpful!

I'm hoping I can just make these wheels work for me!

Thanks all

vqdriver
11-12-2010, 02:57 PM
See if this helps.
Around the 3:20 mark the hub body is reinstalled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu9TnP_tgEw
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?xl=xl_blazer&v=eu9TnP_tgEw

hairylegs
11-12-2010, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the link! I actually figured it out pre-lunch, but the video is great.

For anybody searching, you basically put the 90' little piece of the spring into the hole on the freehub.

BTW, but using a cut disc on the pawls and basically adding a hair of depth to the space where the spring goes the wheels are MUCH quieter! More explained here:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?p=2953758

Thanks all!

dana_e
11-12-2010, 04:26 PM
I got a pair of mavic ksyrium elites for a song used from a guy at my work

I also have several campagnolo rear wheels, proton and older zonda

the mavics sucked. IMHO. The rear is light, but pawls slipped when comng off stop signs and after coasting then gassing it. really lame.

I sold them on craigslist

Marcusaurelius
11-13-2010, 01:38 PM
I had a fairly loud campagnolo wheelset and LBS just added a bit of grease and it was siginificantly quieter. I do however remember reading somewhere (campagnolo website I think) a warning about too much grease in the hub.