PDA

View Full Version : Night Riding

93legendti
11-11-2010, 08:49 PM
Even thou it was gorgeous today, I didn't get out 'till 5:00 pm, when the sun was starting to set. I had my lights and reflective clothing and stayed in a sub north of here that circles a nice lake. Very few cars, a few people walking dogs and plenty of quiet. I was really surprised just how quiet it was. I'm looking forward to the next evening ride.

Blue Jays
11-11-2010, 09:12 PM
I don't even try to rush through work to squeeze-in a ride.
Weekday rides are exclusively done with nice lights.
Have fun and be sure to carry a spare battery, just in case.

rinconryder
11-11-2010, 09:46 PM
Haven't done night road riding on purpose, but I love night MTBing! You see and perceive things so much differently, it is like learning to ride all over again, or simply a different form of riding with added difficulty. Plus you get all the night wildlife which you don't normally see.

rice rocket
11-11-2010, 09:51 PM
^^ Yeah, bears!!! :eek:

stackie
11-11-2010, 10:07 PM
I hear you. I ride a bunch at night after kids in bed. The quiet is amazing. I ride in Pebble Beach in Monterey California. I can go two hours in there at night without seeing a single car. A handful of deer, a couple of possums, and more raccoons than you can count though.

Love it. Fortunately, it's still warm enough at night here that the cold doesn't make me want to ride daytime.

Jon

Wilkinson4
11-11-2010, 10:20 PM
First night ride yesterday for 45 min, 38 degrees. Tonight, 28 degrees and just didn't have it in me. Meow. It was 80 last weekend, farewell long summer.

mIKE

mo3039
11-11-2010, 10:58 PM
It usually takes me a few times to really get comfy with the cold park, but I commute throughout the Colorado winter for those quiet, beautiful dark nights. Especially when you get the dark midnight blue sky behind the black silhouettes of the mountains...throw in a crescent moon, a planet or two, and a couple of foxes not bothering to get scared by the alien bike creature....sweeeet.

rinconryder
11-11-2010, 11:10 PM
yeah, I find that it takes a few rides to adjust to the cold air on the lungs...but after that it can be refreshing!

93legendti
11-11-2010, 11:34 PM
I don't even try to rush through work to squeeze-in a ride.
Weekday rides are exclusively done with nice lights.
Have fun and be sure to carry a spare battery, just in case.
I'm going to carry a strong headlamp-Brunton L5...good tip.

rugbysecondrow
11-12-2010, 05:59 AM
Night rides are great. I typically stay off of the roads but there is a great paved trail network in Ellicott City/Columbia MD, so I just take out the ss bike and have a blast.

Like somebody else said about wildlife, I am always amazed at how many eyes I see reflecting back at me from the woods. Many deer and fox to be sure, no bears though. :)

russ46
11-12-2010, 06:48 PM
While I hate the time change, I have to admit I quickly get used to night riding & actually enjoy it. I've got a great after work route that has little traffic. I had a couple of hassles last year. A school bus that wouldn't dim its headlights & damn near blinded me - I finally had to stop until it went by. A driver who didn't want to go through the ice on his side of the road & came within a foot of running me into the lake. A couple of deer stopped in my lane as I came around the corner that required a full brake lockup to avoid. But that's what makes life interesting. All the "hassles" are offset by the quiet, the stars, the reflection of the moon on the lake & oh...., the lack of wind.

Jack Brunk
11-12-2010, 08:10 PM
Nothing better than doing awesome singletrack with a headlight. Paying super close attention to the trail with the occasional lookout and see how many sets of eyes are watching you while you travel through their domain.

Dekonick
11-12-2010, 10:09 PM
Night rides are great. I typically stay off of the roads but there is a great paved trail network in Ellicott City/Columbia MD, so I just take out the ss bike and have a blast.

Like somebody else said about wildlife, I am always amazed at how many eyes I see reflecting back at me from the woods. Many deer and fox to be sure, no bears though. :)

But beware the thugs in 'hide a thief' err hideway heath... and many other columbia communities...

Next time call my arse and we can forge forward and bravely take on the local riffraff including spooky squirrels aiming for our wheels...

jeo99
11-12-2010, 10:35 PM
Even thou it was gorgeous today, I didn't get out 'till 5:00 pm, when the sun was starting to set. I had my lights and reflective clothing and stayed in a sub north of here that circles a nice lake. Very few cars, a few people walking dogs and plenty of quiet. I was really surprised just how quiet it was. I'm looking forward to the next evening ride.

Adam,
You should come up to the North side of the county and ride the dirt roads at night with me. It is very quiet and when the cars(not many) do come by they slow way down or stop as they have no idea what the light is coming at them (aliens). It is quit funny!

:banana:

rdparadise
11-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Guys:

I've been riding at night for years. I originally started out doing night time MTB riding and it was really cool. Rode all winter long at night in the woods and on the road during the day when weekend temps were favorable.

Then several years ago, some of the guys that I ride with on Tuesday nights during the season wanted to keep the ride going year around. Anyway, when the days get shorter, we just break out our front and rear lights and keep riding. The distance is slightly shorter, 25-35 miles and we ride at a slower pace but we still get our miles.

Here in way south Jersey, the roads at night are desolate. No cars to be seen after about 6pm and with a clear night sky sparkling above, the rides can be incredible. This past week, with the crescent moon and the clear skies on Tuesday, I couldn't help but wonder in amazement while I rode and looked up and the starry, starry night.

Oh, we had one deer that ran like a deer in the headlights and almost hit one of our riders Tuesday night. That deer crossed the road in a sprint, on an angle and barely missed the first rider in line.

One practice that we honor on the road though is that we attempt to stay closely clustered as we ride so that we have a critical mass in case an odd car or SUV comes along.

It's fun and I love riding at night.

Bob

Ps. haven't done night mtb riding since the late 90's. Gotta get back out there sometime.

Johny
11-13-2010, 04:57 AM
I always feel I am faster and fresher in the dark. :) I particularly enjoy winter moonlight rides on the trails covered with snow. Everything becomes so white and a bit unreal.

Almost hit a deer the other night. I was ready for a crash. Fortunately she accelerated at the last moment. Not to mention dodging rabbits coming at you left and right. Ride safely bros.

93legendti
11-13-2010, 07:58 AM
Adam,
You should come up to the North side of the county and ride the dirt roads at night with me. It is very quiet and when the cars(not many) do come by they slow way down or stop as they have no idea what the light is coming at them (aliens). It is quit funny!

Are you talking Clarkston?

jeo99
11-13-2010, 08:32 AM
Of course!