PDA

View Full Version : Props to Rapha

davidlee
11-10-2010, 07:27 PM
Love 'em or hate em I thought I should share this.
I decided to treat myself to some new winter gear today.
First off they have one of the smoothest , easiest sites to navigate.
2nd, Hit the "free shipping " $ quota and placed the order this am. Was curious what shipping I would get for free.
Ten minutes later got confirmation email , and yep, goods were shipped overnight International and I'll have em by 10 in the AM.
Top that!!
Pro set up right there.
xo
davidlee

false_Aest
11-10-2010, 07:33 PM
Ten minutes later got confirmation email , and yep, goods were shipped overnight International and I'll have em by 10 in the AM.

For those prices I'd expect them "hand delivered" by the Assos girl that night and again the next morning.

davidlee
11-10-2010, 07:37 PM
For those prices I'd expect them "hand delivered" by the Assos girl that night and again the next morning.

Oh yeah , I forgot to mention that she is bringing them over :banana:
xo

vqdriver
11-10-2010, 07:42 PM

haha. nice :D

AngryScientist
11-10-2010, 07:57 PM
rapha is hands down my favorite cycling gear. its not cheap, but the stuff is great.

Derailer
11-10-2010, 08:09 PM
I'm a big fan of their bibs.

thwart
11-10-2010, 08:23 PM
Merino wool base-layers are fantastic.

But their 'non-sale' prices are awfully close to outrageous.

fiamme red
11-10-2010, 08:30 PM
I'm a big fan of their bibs.They're on clearance now for only $186. :banana:

http://www.rapha.cc/rapha-condor-sharp-team-bib-shorts

http://www.rapha.cc/images/gallery/2266-13.jpg

rwsaunders
11-10-2010, 08:59 PM

C'mon Tom...Assos gear is so expensive, every time I see an ad with the Assos girl, she's only wearing the bibs because she can't afford the jersey.:cool:

fiamme red
11-10-2010, 09:18 PM
For those prices I'd expect them "hand delivered" by the Assos girl that night and again the next morning.In general, I'm not a big fan of white shorts, but I'll make an exception here (warning: possibly NSFW):

http://www.bikesomewhere.com/bikesomewhere.cfm/productLarge/259/2416/35338?i=default

jlwdm
11-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Will we ever get to the point where we can have a Rapha thread without 1/3 of the posts complaining about the cost?

If they are more than you are willing to pay just don't buy them and leave it at that.

I did not want to pay full price for the light blue lightweight jersey but it has been disappearing. I have found it on sale in other sizes but not mine. Finally bit the bullet today. Did not want to regret not buying it.

Jeff

pdbrye
11-10-2010, 09:44 PM
I just recently bought one of their sportwool, long sleeve jerseys. Hands down, by far, the nicest jersey I have ever worn. It is a joy to wear on a chilly Fall ride. Same goes for their bib shorts.

DAMN IT! I'm a Rapha fan...

crownjewelwl
11-11-2010, 05:10 AM
i have to admit that im a rapha fanboy. what i think gets lost in the equation is durability. every piece of kit went full rapha for me last year. and after wearing and washing the stuff a ton it still looks brand new. cant say the same for other stuff ive owned. may cost more initially but i wont be replacing anything soon.

spartacus
11-11-2010, 05:14 AM

I'd expect her to dress me for every ride, wash the stuff afterwards, and clean my bike. :beer:

jeffreyt
11-11-2010, 06:15 AM
Personally, I'm a huge fan of Rapha. I bought a couple of the Rapha sportwool summer jerseys and bibshorts. Yes, Rapha is expensive, but I find it less expensive then Pearl Izumi pro octane and Assos clothing.

Birddog
11-11-2010, 07:06 AM
I'm a fan of quality products at a reasonable price and by that standard, Rapha qualifies, at least if you find them on sale. Their bibs are the most unflashy devoid of geegaws and graphics of any that I know of, but they are superb, esp for big mileage days in the saddle. The regular jerseys are also finely crafted and well thought out. For me, they are 3 season, as they are too hot in the Oklahoma summers. I'd like to try one of their lightweight jerseys, but white is too impractical, and black is like wearing a solar collector, so for now I'll pass. Perhaps my favorite Rapha piece of kit is the cotton cap. I have about a dozen "do rags" that never get used anymore as the cap is far superior. They nailed the design of the cap. The bill is just the right length. The material is very fine cotton, wicks superbly and doesn't interfere with the helmet. Of course those UK Rapha dudes never seem to wear a helmet, at least during photo shoots.

leooooo
11-11-2010, 08:44 AM
Of course those UK Rapha dudes never seem to wear a helmet, at least during photo shoots.

IF internet pictures told the whole story, it appears that alot of Euro dudes and most of the cyclists in the pro-ranks (when not racing) don't wear helmets on the regular.

John H.
11-11-2010, 11:25 AM
I must admit that I do not own a single Rapha product and I used to consider myself to be "anti-rapha".
But then I cruised their site last week...
Pretty much everything in there spoke to me from a style perpesctive. Sort of the same way cool italian threads (non cycling) look on a tall lanky dude.
Made me think that I need to scheme a way onto the Rapha team- maybe the style team, since I can't do it with bike speed.

Cantdog
11-12-2010, 09:07 AM
Your rapha gear got shipped overnight, but mine came with a reach around. Top that.

TMB
11-12-2010, 12:11 PM

This is so old ..

Current listings on CC site show the following:

SS Jerseys

Assos 130 to 200
Giordana 120 - 220
Campagnolo 100
PI 90 - 225
Rapha 160 - 190

Bib Shorts

Assos 200 - 340
Giordana 120 - 250
Campagnolo 155 - 250
PI 175
Rapha 210

These are the regular list prices, and yes there are sales currently on some of these products ( including both Assos and Rapha) but clearly Rapha is not the highest price product in either category, not by a long shot.

And yes - I fully understand that Rapha is just a marketing company while outfits like Assos and Giordana are really in it for the benefit of cyclists and really care about making the very best product there is.

And if you really want to see insanity at work, especially regarding Assos then check this link (http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=230212).

I just saw a wool jersey in the LBS the other day that I thought was pretty nice, until I saw the price tag - $280. It was a Santini. I don't see any SS wool jerseys on the Rapha site at that price.

But, I'm pretty sure you know better and none of this will convince you that there are products out there, far more expensive than your favourite whipping post.

Edit to add: I was just looking at that CC site again. Assos shorts ! , not bibs, shorts are listed at $190.

Skins bib shorts (?) 260 - 300.
Skins ss jersey 210 - 240.

Lots of brands for you to complain about it seems.

Uncle Jam's Army
11-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Bib Shorts

Assos 200 - 340
Giordana 120 - 250
Campagnolo 155 - 250
PI 175
Rapha 210

You could add Gore Bike Wear and Hincapie as having pieces more expensive than comparable Rapha products.

nahtnoj
11-12-2010, 12:44 PM
This is so old ..

Current listings on CC site show the following:

SS Jerseys

Assos 130 to 200
Giordana 120 - 220
Campagnolo 100
PI 90 - 225
Rapha 160 - 190

Bib Shorts

Assos 200 - 340
Giordana 120 - 250
Campagnolo 155 - 250
PI 175
Rapha 210

These are the regular list prices, and yes there are sales currently on some of these products ( including both Assos and Rapha) but clearly Rapha is not the highest price product in either category, not by a long shot.

And yes - I fully understand that Rapha is just a marketing company while outfits like Assos and Giordana are really in it for the benefit of cyclists and really care about making the very best product there is.

And if you really want to see insanity at work, especially regarding Assos then check this link (http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=230212).

I just saw a wool jersey in the LBS the other day that I thought was pretty nice, until I saw the price tag - $280. It was a Santini. I don't see any SS wool jerseys on the Rapha site at that price.

But, I'm pretty sure you know better and none of this will convince you that there are products out there, far more expensive than your favourite whipping post.

Can we make this a sticky?