PDA

View Full Version : Older Newbie seeks Enlightenment

WannabeBiker
04-30-2005, 03:37 PM
Hi All. I've lurked a bit and spoke to a few of you (thanks) so here goes...
I'm an on-and-off rider (due to 10 hr work days & physical labor) age 45. Ridden at best 150 miles a week 20 yrs ago - fast recreatioal, trying to stay back in the saddle - its good for my heart, my head and I just love the machine.
Started in Feb. on an old trainer and 5 - 10 milers, going easy on mildly damaged knees; Now up to 20 - 40 miles rolling, evry other day or so. Trying to build base muscle, real slow going up, trying to spin going down (I am/was? a spinner).
I'm 6'-2" loong in the leg, very lightly muscled, love a fast, friendly pace-line, usually ride alone (Rte 9-W in Jersey -GWB to Nyack for the locals)
Current ride is a 63cm Raleigh SuperCourse 12 spd downtube with a weld in the seat-stay and I think I'm due for a new rig. I have a box of older Campy stuff to hang or sell.
I love the old school, but am amazed at the new technology and trying to figure out the hype from the facts. Is Aluminum really too jarring still? Does carbon last? Is compact design wrong for my body shape? And then there's buying used vs. new to stay in budget !
Anyway, if thats long winded, I apologize; but input is welcome on fit, materials, and then sale or trade items. Thanks to the forum and for listening. Jim :-)

Smiley
04-30-2005, 03:49 PM
Here's my suggestion , get fitted by a Pro , then shop these here classifieds for a BARGIN of a lifetime . Some of our members are really careful with their bikes and much prefer to do business with fellow forumites . So get your required bike spec's and no harm posting a WTB ad and see what bites . Also if you do get a bite , go back to your friendly fitter and get them to put you on the geometry of what your looking to buy just to be 100 % certain . You'll feel much lighter in the pocket and the bike will feel just as good as new .
OK , forget compact for your size , I don't think you'll need standover , maybe a slight slope in the TT but no goofy 7-8 degree's for a tall bike , my 2 cents worth . Aluminum , I prefer my drinks and beer in it .

William
04-30-2005, 03:56 PM
Here's my suggestion , get fitted by a Pro , then shop these here classifieds for a BARGIN of a lifetime . Some of our members are really careful with their bikes and much prefer to do business with fellow forumites . So get your required bike spec's and no harm posting a WTB ad and see what bites . Also if you do get a bite , go back to your friendly fitter and get them to put you on the geometry of what your looking to buy just to be 100 % certain . You'll feel much lighter in the pocket and the bike will feel just as good as new .
OK , forget compact for your size , I don't think you'll need standover , maybe a slight slope in the TT but no goofy 7-8 degree's for a tall bike ,

As usual, all good advice from our resident Mr. Smiley.....aaaaaahhhhkcept... my 2 cents worth . Aluminum , I prefer my drinks and beer in it .

I'm a steel fan but some of todays Aluminums aren't bad. They ride better then their filling loosening counterparts of yesteryear and pricing is usually fairly reasonable.

William

WannabeBiker
04-30-2005, 04:00 PM
When you say a fitter, do you mean a knowledgeable person at a bike store - will they give you good input and time if you aren't buying a bike from them? Should I tell them up-front that I'm shopping elsewhere or just leave it open?

WannabeBiker
04-30-2005, 04:06 PM
Wow, you guys respond faster than I can type.
I bought some small items from a racer with an 02 Specialized S Works frame, $400, but I'm still figuing out my needs/desires, it just came up - Too racey for me? Anyone familiar with the frame?

Kevin
04-30-2005, 04:11 PM
When you say a fitter, do you mean a knowledgeable person at a bike store - will they give you good input and time if you aren't buying a bike from them? Should I tell them up-front that I'm shopping elsewhere or just leave it open?

Take a look at Serotta's website for dealers. These shops will have certified fitters.

Kevin

William
04-30-2005, 04:14 PM
Wow, you guys respond faster than I can type.
I bought some small items from a racer with an 02 Specialized S Works frame, $400, but I'm still figuing out my needs/desires, it just came up - Too racey for me? Anyone familiar with the frame?

I'm not real familiar with all of Specialized's offerings, but one of my guys has been looking them over. I've checked out a few with him and they don't seem to be a bad buy. Certainly I would think a good entry level type of ride.

William

dave thompson
04-30-2005, 04:25 PM
Wannabe: Go to here: (http://www.serotta.com/pages/northeast.html) to find a list of Serotta dealers and fitters in New Jersey. Pay a visit to a couple of the closest fitters to you and 'interview' them'. A good fitter will listen to what you have to say about riding, preferences, wants, needs and desires. A good fitting is in the range $100~$200 and can be well worth the money spent if it tells you the dimensions, geometry and distances of a bike that will fit you properly.

Buying used is certainly a good way to get back into bicycling, but until you have been fitted and know what will work for you, you may wind up buying the proverbial pig in a poke.

Regarding materials. How a bike is designed and constructed is the largest part of how a bike will ride and feel to you. The general consensus of opinion of folks on this forum is that materials will play a somewhat secondary part in the ride/feel category. Everyone has their favorite steel/Ti/Carbon bike material, but will agree that build design/quality is supreme.

My suggestion is for you to first get a professional fitting. Then when you know the correct sizing of the bike, place a WTB ad here in the classifieds spelling out what you need/want. Then you will be able to choose from an array of bikes, instead of one or two of perhaps the incorrect size for you.

Another thing about the professional fitting, very often you will be able to go back to them and ask about certain sized bikes you may be interested in buying and asking if they might be satisfactory for you. Having a relationship with a good shop and fitter can be invaluable to you. Perhaps if you revealed the town that your in, other forum members may be able to make recommendations of a shop they have been satisfied with.

Good luck in your search. It can be daunting, but mostly fun and challenging. And if things go as they should, you will wind up with a bike that is eminently satisfying to you. And you will continue to ride for many years.

Good luck!

BTW, you may be a newbie but certainly not older. There are more than a few of us that are of, shall we say, collecting Social Security age.

Climb01742
04-30-2005, 04:27 PM
aluminum has come a long way. a well-designed alu frame can ride beautifully. my very biased opinion is that a pegoretti alu frame rides as nicely as any frame made.

but that point aside, based on your description of yourself and your riding, a good steel or ti frame might be the best choice. as smiley suggested, a good plan might be: find a shop near you with a certified serotta fitter (elsewhere on this site is a good explanation of serotta's fit philosophy.) have a fit session done to know what geometry works best for you. then watch the classifieds here for a steel (CIII or CSi perhaps) or ti (legend or concours perhaps) frame. a quality used frame -- if its the right geometry -- could be just the ticket. or if your budget allows, why not consider getting a brand-spanking new custom CIII? as has been said here often, a CIII is a lot of bike for the price.

good luck!

CNY rider
04-30-2005, 05:48 PM
I bought my first expensive bike last summer (Legend). I went for a fitting and at first must admit I was put off by the $150 fee. The shop of course ultimately applied that to the purchase of my new Serotta.

The upside of paying for your fit though is that you should expect to leave with a very thorough well documented set of dimensions for your ride that will make it possible to judge the many different set-ups you will see. It also takes away that guilt you might feel if you didn't pay but then decided you wanted something the bike shop didn't have. This way, they get paid fairly for their work and you are free to pursue any option you desire.

BTW, having followed the classifieds here for the last year I agree that you can buy some outstanding bikes at really great prices. Just have to be a little patient until the right one for you comes along.

shaq-d
04-30-2005, 06:29 PM
Current ride is a 63cm Raleigh SuperCourse 12 spd downtube with a weld in the seat-stay and I think I'm due for a new rig. I have a box of older Campy stuff to hang or sell.

or stick with your old rig. tune it up completely and replace the drivetrain with new freewheel, chain, crankset, bottom bracket, cables, and cork tape. then ride it. the new stuff is, frankly, the same.

sd

christian
04-30-2005, 07:17 PM
Wannabebiker,

You don't say where in Bergen County you are, but if you're close to Tenafly, head down to Bicycle Workshop on County Road (501) (cross street Mahan), in Tenafly.

Have a chat with Michael and Rich and tell them exactly what you've said here. Michael will be happy to fit you and just chat bikes, and is extremely knowledgeable and friendly. I'll go out on a limb and say they're the best bike shop in the whole tri-state area!

As far as fit & materials. Fit is of utmost importance, and material is less so. I like steel because the steel bikes I have are comfy and light enough and cheap enough.

Best regards,
- Christian

christian
04-30-2005, 07:34 PM
Oh, and if you want to ride to Nyack, Piermont, Rockland Lake, the Italian Deli in Cresskill etc, give a shout.

- Christian

WannabeBiker
05-01-2005, 08:28 AM
Smiley, Kevin, Dave - I'll check theSerotta site; And hope to be gray-er and riding in the future.
Climb & William - I'll keep an eye on the aluminum, not jumping yet.
Shaq - It's in the works already; As soon as I can part with her for a few days she gets longer cranks, fresh drivetrain, and I was thinking 'cork'. and...
Christian - ...Tenafly will handle the work (Michael's got his eyes open for a frame for me) and, I will give you a shout, lets see if we ride a similar pace.
So much to learn and decide...Thanks for the nice intro everybody.

WannabeBiker
05-01-2005, 09:01 AM
This was very helpful, I definitely struggle with guilt/shop loyalty and 'what's best for me'.