PDA

View Full Version : Oakley Jawbone glasses

spartacus
11-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Following on from my other glasses post, does anyone have experience of these glasses? I want to keep the cold winter wind out as much as possible, and have the convenience of the interchangeable lens possibilities the Jawbone design offers.

Does the shape of the frame keep the wind out?
Do the lenses with vents stop fogging without letting too much air in?
What lens colors are good for low bright winter sunlight?

...and, oh yes, what is the difference between European Fit and Asian Fit?

Many thanks, Sparts.

Charles M
11-10-2010, 12:05 PM
If you dont mind having a giant hunk of plastic on your face, they're not bad at all. The one thing I dont like about Oakley is they try so hard to be visionary fashion that they're willing to block your vision... The quality if VERY good though and they do a nice job with wind.

I prefer something of a shield type with adjustable nose pieces that allow me to position the glasses a bit higher in winter...

Glasses with the nose piece that is all soft rubber that have no internal wire to let you play with adjustment dont work that well. And several brands dont give you that wanna be special forces goggle look thta Oakley tries so hard to cultivate with the Jawbone / big frame specs

crownjewelwl
11-10-2010, 12:25 PM
I have jawbones in "asian fit". The theory is that asian peeps don't have a defined enough nose bridge and faces are flatter (part of the theory is that asian peeps let their babies sleep on their backs which makes the skull form differently). So Oakley compensates by making the nosepieces larger. That is the ONLY difference (at least in the jawbones).

I found it little offensive at first, but now I can actually wear Oakleys. Before the lenses would sit too close to my face. I assumed they made these available cuz the market in Japan must be huge.

So unless you're korean or have a really flat face, go for the normal ones.

I have jawbones and flak jackets. The jawbones definitely keep more of the wind out. The trade-off is that they fog up when you're standing still. I can't comment on the vents (I have prescription lenses and vents weren't an option for my prescription), but from what I read they didn't make much of a difference. Also, I have photochromatic lenses which I think are brilliant.

spartacus
11-10-2010, 12:30 PM
I have jawbones in "asian fit". The theory is that asian peeps don't have a defined enough nose bridge and faces are flatter (part of the theory is that asian peeps let their babies sleep on their backs which makes the skull form differently). So Oakley compensates by making the nosepieces larger. That is the ONLY difference (at least in the jawbones).

I found it little offensive at first, but now I can actually wear Oakleys. Before the lenses would sit too close to my face. I assumed they made these available cuz the market in Japan must be huge.

So unless you're korean or have a really flat face, go for the normal ones.

I have jawbones and flak jackets. The jawbones definitely keep more of the wind out. The trade-off is that they fog up when you're standing still. I can't comment on the vents (I have prescription lenses and vents weren't an option for my prescription), but from what I read they didn't make much of a difference. Also, I have photochromatic lenses which I think are brilliant.

Thank you.

I have an Anglo Saxon face, so the Euro fit would seem best based on what you've written.

What do photochromatic lenses do?

jeo99
11-10-2010, 12:45 PM
And still American made!

:banana: :banana:

spartacus
11-10-2010, 12:47 PM
And still American made!

That surprised me.

flickwet
11-10-2010, 12:52 PM
are lenses that change according to the character and quantity of light, essentially they get darker when it gets brighter, but nowadays there is more to it than that.

BTW the split jackets seem to be a perfect utilization or evolution of the jawbones concept, we love them

jeo99
11-10-2010, 01:01 PM
That surprised me.

That is why I buy them. If they let in some air and do not have adjustability, so be it. I live in the cold and snowy north. I can handle the cold. As I have said before, it is not easy but with some effort you can find most everything still american made. That is if you you care too.

crownjewelwl
11-10-2010, 01:05 PM
Thank you.

I have an Anglo Saxon face, so the Euro fit would seem best based on what you've written.

What do photochromatic lenses do?

They get darker depending on the amount of sunlight. My lenses have a slight base tint and then get very dark in the bright sun. I think this is a better option than swapping lenses.

Ryun
11-10-2010, 01:16 PM
I switched to jawbones recently. Once you get over the looks, they are very good at what they are designed to do. Seem to fog slightly less than the giro haviks I had before that.
I ordered them online through the custom program so i could match the team kit and pick my which lenses. I had them in seven days from California.

Very good glasses
Ryun

spartacus
11-10-2010, 01:47 PM
are lenses that change according to the character and quantity of light, essentially they get darker when it gets brighter, but nowadays there is more to it than that.

BTW the split jackets seem to be a perfect utilization or evolution of the jawbones concept, we love them

How does the Split Jacket differ from the Jawbone? I've looked at Oakley's site but it isn't making this clear...at all. Are the Splits newer? They seem visually very similar.

Many thanks for your insight - pun but from the heart :-) Sparts

P.S.... and thanks to everyone else too. Nice forum.

Z3c
11-10-2010, 02:15 PM
Love O glasses, currently ride with Radar's. I tried the Jawbone's but the hinge was too present when I tried to look back to the left.. Really like the fit etc.. but the vision block was too much for me.

Uncle Jam's Army
11-10-2010, 07:15 PM
Love O glasses, currently ride with Radar's. I tried the Jawbone's but the hinge was too present when I tried to look back to the left.. Really like the fit etc.. but the vision block was too much for me.

+1

I have both and find the Jawbones do block some peripheral vision. The Radar's don't even feel like they are there. I much prefer them. The Jawbones hardly get used.

rnhood
11-10-2010, 07:49 PM
I have both and find the Jawbones do block some peripheral vision. The Radar's don't even feel like they are there. I much prefer them. The Jawbones hardly get used.

Same here, I much prefer the Radars. They just fit so well and offer very good peripheral vision. I did not like the Jawbones the moment I put them on.

Pete Serotta
11-11-2010, 07:14 AM
The jawbones get used more than the Radars, by me. Two friends have also switched to jawbones in the past year.

PETE

spartacus
11-11-2010, 08:06 AM
The jawbones get used more than the Radars, by me. Two friends have also switched to jawbones in the past year.

PETE

Pete,

Do they keep the wind out?

If you use the vented lenses is the air inflow noticeable? :beer:

flickwet
11-11-2010, 08:36 AM
Hey Spatacus, the Split Jackets are slightly smaller and less "almond eye slanty" then the Jawbones, not as extreme, I guess you could say, they look alot better from a purely vain aspect to me. There is a subtle but profound difference when they are worn, especially without a helmet. They also look more like the Straight Jackets If that is any help.

flickwet
11-11-2010, 09:05 AM
Check out the review of the Slit Jackets on cyclingnews.com and no I don't know how to post the link. But its easy to find under the Tech section.

spartacus
11-11-2010, 12:06 PM
Check out the review of the Slit Jackets on cyclingnews.com and no I don't know how to post the link. But its easy to find under the Tech section.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/oakley-split-jacket

This one?

Pete Serotta
11-11-2010, 12:31 PM
THe ones I mentioned keep wind out... the vented one keep most fogging (if not all out)... The "looks" are really up to you........
:o :o :o

My daughters laugh at all of them.

crownjewelwl
11-11-2010, 12:33 PM
THe ones I mentioned keep wind out... the vented one keep most fogging (if not all out)... The "looks" are really up to you........
:o :o :o

My daughters laugh at all of them.

My wife won't be seen with me when I have my Jawbones on... :no:

Z3c
11-11-2010, 01:01 PM
My wife won't be seen with me when I have my Jawbones on... :no:

That would be handy to have as an option..

c77barlage
11-11-2010, 04:27 PM
I've been using polarized jawbones this season. I do like them for cycling s they provide good coverage. Vision is compromised a bit over the left shoulder but doesn't bug me to a great extent. They are not fog proof but better than anything else I've used. I'm excited to use them Xc skiing as I beloved that will be the true test.

flickwet
11-12-2010, 11:05 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/oakley-split-jacket

This one?
that's the one