PDA

View Full Version : Fear of buying someone else's custom bike...

dd74
11-09-2010, 09:35 PM
There seem to be many "custom" frames on eBay these days. More than a few Serotta, a couple IFs, a Seven.

I'm wondering how ill-advised it might be to buy one of these pre-built "custom" frames. I mean, the only reason I'd even consider it is the price on some is so reasonable.

On some of these frames, I've asked for dimensions, and in a few cases, the size, top tube, etc., has come back favorable. Still, I'm hesitant...

Any advice or warnings will be appreciated.

Thx.

DRZRM
11-09-2010, 09:39 PM
Ask all the questions you need to, if you don't get answers, skip the deal. All IFs are now custom, there are no stock sizes, as long as you know what size works for you, and what weight rider it was built for, you may find fantastic deals, but the fact that it was custom is hardly a selling point, it likely makes it harder to find the perfect bike.

Louis
11-09-2010, 09:39 PM
If the geometry fits and the person is in the same weight ballpark as you (which is likely since you probably have the same approximate body size) I don't see why not.

What's inherently scary about a custom bike if it fits you?

jlwdm
11-09-2010, 09:46 PM
As already said it should not matter as long as the bike fits you and your style of riding and/or weight.

The key is knowing what works for you. I see way too many bikes that are sold on the forum show up for sale again because they did not fit. Doesn't matter custom or stock - it needs to fit.

Jeff

maxdog
11-09-2010, 09:59 PM
another consideration besides, geometry and weight, is riding style/intended use. in other words, did the original owner request a frame for aggressive riding/racing or more recreational or long distance riding.

pdmtong
11-09-2010, 10:17 PM
not a deal if you have to buy it twice

fortunately, my parlee, IF and ottrott are all "stock" sizes but were made to order. comaptibility in geomoetry, tubing, rider weight and design intent. luckily, no fear here.

Cinci Jim
11-09-2010, 10:41 PM
I've had great luck picking up used custom frames at great prices. The down side I have found is when people have a custom bike built up, they seem to like having the fork cut with no extra length on top. I total understand this but it does impact flexibility to the second hand buyer.

The first bike I bought for my wife had this problem and we ended up ordering a S3 fork in a 52 rake to make the bike rideable for her. The second bike I negotiated the fork out of the deal on the frame and ordered a S3 fork painted to match the frame and it is a truly beautiful bike now.

My advice - if it fits, buy it, but watch the length of the steerer.

pdmtong
11-10-2010, 12:57 AM
so you are the guy with the kirk tandem. whoa

dd74
11-10-2010, 01:12 AM
Found this thread, which sort of confirms my fears...

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=121333

...unless the prior customer is a doppelganger of myself. :eek:

Ti Designs
11-10-2010, 01:24 AM
If the geometry fits and the person is in the same weight ballpark as you (which is likely since you probably have the same approximate body size) I don't see why not.

Do a couple hundred bike fittings and you'll answer your own question. I have two kids on the Harvard team who are about the same height and close to the same build, at least on paper. Both are on Tarmacs, one rides a 56 with a shortish stem in the down position, the other rides a 58 with rise to the stem. So many factors to think about - how do you even put lower back range of motion into a number?

My suggestion, if you must shop for bikes on-line, is to boil your own position down to frame numbers based on a bike that fits you well. For example, I know my positional numbers (saddle height, setback and reach and drop to the bars), and I know I fit well on a frame with a steep seat angle, around 55cm top tube and a head tube right around 14cm. I also know I like steep angles, very low fork rake and a rock solid bottom bracket. Given this info, if I trusted anyone on the internet to post accurate numbers, I could shop for a bike that way...

Lifelover
11-10-2010, 07:46 AM
I'm a pretty average 6' 1" but a well above average 250 lbs and I have bought 2 custom frames used. 3 if you count a Slawta tourer build for Gary V. I have no clue who they were made for and have no problems at all.

However, over the years of reading fourm like this, I have concluded that I'm not very sensitive to small differences in frame handling or flex. As long as the FD does rub under load, the bike is stable at speed down hill and I can ride no handed I'm pretty happy.

If you are somebody that can feel and evaluate every little detail of how a frame rides and you don't ask the weight and riding style of who the frame was made for, it might be a problem.

ATMO, with a quality (non crazy ass light weight) frame, it will never be a safety issue. Just because the tubes were selected for a 150 lb person does not mean it is going to crush under my lard butt. A bit whippy maybe, but safe.

I don't see where TiDesigns concerns are really any more specific to a custom.

Just ask the seller specific questions and if it sounds like a good match get it.

I also don't see where that RBR thread provided anything to scare you off. The potential buyer asked the right questions and found that the bike didn't fit.