PDA

View Full Version : 1-Inch Forks ???

DHallerman
11-08-2010, 07:00 PM
Hi,

I'm looking for a 1-inch fork for a steel road frame, with an axle to crown length of about 365mm.

Typically, I'd get a Wound Up fork because I just like the way they ride and the way they look. I also like a steel steerer for 1-inch sizing.

But for variety, I'm thinking of the following forks which I see are being sold, and wondering what you know about them.

Easton EC90 SL, carbon fork, carbon steerer (threadless)
Winwood RT-10, carbon fork, aluminum steerer (threadless) or steel steerer (threaded)
Ritchey Comp, aluminum steerer (threadless)

Or, while I know there are a fair amount of framebuilders around, who makes relatively lightweight steel forks? Any suggestions there?

Thanks,

Dave, who knows that some people don't like how Wound Up forks look but thinks a debate on that issue would be fruitless

Pete Serotta
11-08-2010, 07:24 PM
that is the one that I have first hand experience with and is excellent.

Another option is probably a Serotta 1inch carbon but I would have to double check if that is what you would like.

rugbysecondrow
11-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Rivendell is making/selling one inch steel forks. Might work for you.

eddief
11-08-2010, 07:36 PM
and noticed they sold forks separately; both carbon and steel, and steel with threaded steerers. But by the time you pay the price for one of those, you could go to any custom builder. If price is a factor, I believe Doug Curtis of Curtlo might be the competition. I'm guessing Richard Schwinn could snap one off in a reasonable timeframe too. Elelcheapo at Nashbar.

cadence90
11-08-2010, 08:18 PM
Hi,
I'm looking for a 1-inch fork for a steel road frame, with an axle to crown length of about 365mm.

Typically, I'd get a Wound Up fork because I just like the way they ride and the way they look. I also like a steel steerer for 1-inch sizing.

But for variety, I'm thinking of the following forks which I see are being sold, and wondering what you know about them.

Winwood RT-10, carbon fork, aluminum steerer (threadless) or steel steerer (threaded)

Of those listed I'd say the Wound Up or the Easton. I love Wound Up.

Or, while I know there are a fair amount of framebuilders around, who makes relatively lightweight steel forks? Any suggestions there?

Thanks,

Dave, who knows that some people don't like how Wound Up forks look but thinks a debate on that issue would be fruitless
Chris Igleheart makes great steel forks. (http://iglebike.com/forks.html)

Dekonick
11-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Kirk, Bedford, Walt works - all make forks.

What about a Serotta carbon fork with a 1" steerer?

93legendti
11-08-2010, 09:03 PM
Ird

97CSI
11-09-2010, 05:19 AM
Have used a couple of the Ritchey forks with aluminum steerer and found them to be high quality with no problems. For $175, or so, they are a good deal.

spartacus
11-09-2010, 05:56 AM
Hi,

Thanks,

I have a Wound Up. Good and looking (subjective). It is very stiff (objective). That's all I'm saying. :beer:

milehighness
11-09-2010, 02:00 PM
I have had some very bad experiences with Wound Up recently and will never buy a fork form them again. I ordered a Wound Up road fork and for 5 weeks they (Wound Up headquarters) kept telling me that it was shipping on Friday. It never arrived and I purchased an Edge instead.

One week after I finally cancelled my Wound Up road fork order the Wound Up on my CX bike broke on a trail ride. Scary. The carbon separated at the fork crown. I could never get anyone on the phone about a warranty.

I know other people have had good results with Wound Up but I would expect better product quality and customer service from a US manufacturer. :no:

spartacus
11-09-2010, 02:08 PM
One week after I finally cancelled my Wound Up road fork order the Wound Up on my CX bike broke on a trail ride. Scary. The carbon separated at the fork crown.

I have the Wound Up CX fork. Your fork failure story gives me the shivers.

I'd be interested to know a little more. How old was the fork?

milehighness
11-09-2010, 02:12 PM
I have the Wound Up CX fork. Your fork failure story gives me the shivers.

I'd be interested to know a little more. How old was the fork?

Fork was just over two years old. I was wondering why I was not able to hold a line on the trail then stopped for a quick inspection and found the fork blades had a good 2-3mm of play in both sides! I am unsure if catastrophic failure would have occurred but I am very happy that I did not find out!

One of the guys at my LBS was a die hard Wound Up advocate, I saw last week that his Wound Up road fork is now for sale on CL...

spartacus
11-09-2010, 02:33 PM
the fork blades had a good 2-3mm of play in both sides!

The carbon separated at the fork crown - do you mean the top of the carbon fork legs began to part from their 'wells' in the crown? Do you think it was a bonding failure?

Did you hammer the fork? I ride my WU daily on gravel and dirt roads and tracks. It's less than one year old and has been superficially checked over at a recent LBS workshop service (but it wasn't removed from the frame).

I did ask WU where their forks tend to have any record of failure and they said it was at the base of the steerer tube on the crown top center.

I am in fact waiting for Serotta to release its new line of forks for next year when I will then replace my WU - too stiff.

milehighness
11-09-2010, 02:49 PM
The carbon separated at the fork crown - do you mean the top of the carbon fork legs began to part from their 'wells' in the crown? Do you think it was a bonding failure?

Did you hammer the fork?

I did ask WU where their forks tend to have any record of failure and they said it was at the base of the steerer tube on the crown top center.

It seems that it could be the bonding of the fork leg to the fork crown is where the failure occurred.

I would not say that I hammered the fork, but it is a CX fork and has been ridden as such on fire roads, gravel, pavement and CX courses.

My LBS actually does quite a bit of buying of Wound Ups for their custom built bikes and have reportedly had issues with the failure at the base of the steerer tube and the fork crown top center. I guess they have been able to repair a few by drilling and re-setting at the fork crown and the finished product ends up stronger than the original without.

jeo99
11-09-2010, 03:13 PM
I really like Scott Quiring. He has made a couple steel road/CX forks for me! They are light, strong and reasonable.

http://www.quiringcycles.net/index.html

:beer:

milehighness
11-09-2010, 03:46 PM
I really like Scott Quiring. He has made a couple steel road/CX forks for me! They are light, strong and reasonable.

http://www.quiringcycles.net/index.html

:beer:

I was looking at a Quiring fork as a replacement but ended up with Teesdale custom for a quick turn around to get me racing again. It should be arriving any day now.

DRB
11-09-2010, 05:24 PM
97 CSI - "Have used a couple of the Ritchey forks with aluminum steerer and found them to be high quality with no problems. For $175, or so, they are a good deal."

Ditto. 5+ years; lot's of miles. Seems good to me.

DRB