PDA

View Full Version : OT: Made in the USA clothing

rpm
11-08-2010, 09:59 AM
My wardrobe needs some freshening, and I'd like to make a little effort to help the economy by buying American-made clothing. But it's hard to find! What are your suggestions for places to find American-made men's clothing--business, business casual, and casual?

learlove
11-08-2010, 10:02 AM
http://www.billskhakis.com/

harryschwartzma
11-08-2010, 10:06 AM
http://outlier.cc/

Charles M
11-08-2010, 10:34 AM
I have a pair of Chamoise Khaks from bills... soft like wearing pajama bottoms.

I have to say though that I know of a lot of clothing companies where both the initial fabrication and all of the base textiles are from overseas. No Idea about bill's and I dont care because they're fantastic, but if you think the cycling game is tough to track, Clothing is wayyyyy worse to ID country.

johnnymossville
11-08-2010, 10:38 AM
My first thought was Bill's Khakis, but others beat me to it!

Ahneida Ride
11-08-2010, 10:41 AM
HandleBra wrap is made in the USA.

amazing eh ?

Keeps Americans employed. What a concept!

benb
11-08-2010, 10:41 AM
Cool thread.. I will have to check out Bill's.. it turns out the shop I just took my suit to yesterday for a repair sells Bill's khakis.

I thought this was going to be about cycling clothes.. all I can mention is Boure.. I have a couple pairs of their bibs, they don't fit me all that great, but all be damned if they aren't the most durable bibs I've ever had.

veloduffer
11-08-2010, 10:48 AM
My wardrobe needs some freshening, and I'd like to make a little effort to help the economy by buying American-made clothing. But it's hard to find! What are your suggestions for places to find American-made men's clothing--business, business casual, and casual?

There's some US made clothes but most are high-end; even most men's suits are made abroad. Most of the textile industry closed its doors in the US a long time ago. For example, nearly all the mills in Mass. have closed and have been converted to office space for high tech.

Given the "throw-away" nature of goods, it's hard to find old world trades like tailors and cobblers. The handmade steel bike business is one of the few bucking the trend.

CNY rider
11-08-2010, 11:12 AM
I thought this was going to be about cycling clothes.. all I can mention is Boure.. I have a couple pairs of their bibs, they don't fit me all that great, but all be damned if they aren't the most durable bibs I've ever had.

Interesting you mention that.
I have a pair of their winter cycling bibs with chamois.
I love the material, the construction, everything BUT the fit. They're a medium which is my usual size and there's just too much room in the pelvic area. They don't hold things in securely if you get my drift. The other measurements are just fine. But when I look at their sizing chart I think the smalls will be too small and I've been chicken to order them.

Polyglot
11-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Just as an aside, all Euro cycling apparel gets an average of 30% duty tacked onto them by Uncle Sam, so a good chunk of your purchase price is still going into the US economy by way of Uncle Sam...

Ozz
11-08-2010, 01:53 PM
"Hickey Freeman" for the business attire (suits, slacks, sportcoats)...

Their sportswear stuff is mostly imported however.....

Ken Robb
11-08-2010, 01:57 PM

The "trouble" with getting a really well-made suit or sport coat from HF, Oxxford(sic), etc. is that you are ruined for ever wearing lesser stuff again. OTOH, if you get middle-of-the-road conservative styles you can wear them almost forever.

JMerring
11-08-2010, 01:57 PM
high end jeans. many, many us-based manufacturers that actually manufacture in the us. could be the only area where the us remains dominant (clothing fashion-wise, that is).

bike22
11-08-2010, 02:06 PM
american apparel for plain cotton t shirts, underwear, etc. all made in LA.

but their target demographic is people in their 20's who live in large cities, may not be your style.

high end levi's are made in the usa i believe. "levis vintage clothing" line.

Ozz
11-08-2010, 02:27 PM
The "trouble" with getting a really well-made suit or sport coat from HF, Oxxford(sic), etc. is that you are ruined for ever wearing lesser stuff again. OTOH, if you get middle-of-the-road conservative styles you can wear them almost forever.
ain't that the truth!

luckily they are made so well they last, and they never go out of style...

:beer:

veloduffer
11-08-2010, 03:08 PM

But I think Hickey Freeman is currently owned by the an Indian firm, SKNL.

johnnymossville
11-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Many brands of socks are made in the USA. Cycling socks included.

DRZRM
11-08-2010, 09:10 PM
This is off the top of my head, forgive me if I make any mistakes or have failed to keep up with any recent changes in production.

Jeans: Levi's higher end LVC, Jean Shop, Roy, 3Sixteen

Suits: Not sure if all HF is USA made but their higher end lines (The Presidential) still are, all Oxxford suits certainly are.

Shirts: Gitman Bros. are all made in the US, Brooks Brothers slim fit Supima cotton shirts are made in the US (check the tags in the store), as are the Black Fleece shirts (I think, at least they were a few years back), and their extra slim shirts (which are hardly that slim) are still all made in the USA.

Shoes: Alden makes a lovely shoe, and they are still all produced here in MA (I try to singlehandedly keep that company in business, I have a deep love of shell cordovan shoes, almost as much as ti frames).

Filson bags are all still made in the USA.

For casual stuff, just check labels for "Made in the USA", Hugo Boss makes some (not much anymore), Brooks Brothers makes some, Ralph Lauren makes some, Band of Outsiders makes some (maybe most), Rag & Bone used to be made in Brooklyn, but I think the company got sold and now outsource much of their line. Woolrich Woolen Mills higher end lines are made in the US, though their regular work wear is not.

dd74
11-08-2010, 10:12 PM
My mother tries (or tried) to buy only American clothes; she said it almost put her in the poor house.

Granted, American stuff is expensive, but you get what you pay for - just consider Serotta, IF, Kirk and the others in the bike world.

America, I've thought for a while now, manufacturers extremely high-end merchandise. The problem is those high-end items tend to become boutique, and very few can afford boutique.

Offshoots are the way to go, i.e. Waterford's Gunnar. Great product, and very inexpensive for the quality, and hand-built in our country. All good.

dd74
11-08-2010, 10:14 PM
This is off the top of my head, forgive me if I make any mistakes or have failed to keep up with any recent changes in production.

Jeans: Levi's higher end LVC, Jean Shop, Roy, 3Sixteen

Suits: Not sure if all HF is USA made but their higher end lines (The Presidential) still are, all Oxxford suits certainly are.

Shirts: Gitman Bros. are all made in the US, Brooks Brothers slim fit Supima cotton shirts are made in the US (check the tags in the store), as are the Black Fleece shirts (I think, at least they were a few years back), and their extra slim shirts (which are hardly that slim) are still all made in the USA.

Shoes: Alden makes a lovely shoe, and they are still all produced here in MA (I try to singlehandedly keep that company in business, I have a deep love of shell cordovan shoes, almost as much as ti frames).

Filson bags are all still made in the USA.

For casual stuff, just check labels for "Made in the USA", Hugo Boss makes some (not much anymore), Brooks Brothers makes some, Ralph Lauren makes some, Band of Outsiders makes some (maybe most), Rag & Bone used to be made in Brooklyn, but I think the company got sold and now outsource much of their line. Woolrich Woolen Mills higher end lines are made in the US, though their regular work wear is not.
Thing is, will you find any of these brands in Costco or Wal Mart? That's where they need to appear to appeal to American consumers toward American-made products.

DRZRM
11-08-2010, 11:06 PM
If American consumers cared at all about American-made products or jobs, they would not be shopping in Wal-Mart.

Thing is, will you find any of these brands in Costco or Wal Mart? That's where they need to appear to appeal to American consumers toward American-made products.

erector
11-08-2010, 11:07 PM
I'm glad to hear that, especially in a time of economic crisis, Americans look for the Made in America. I will say, Euro still works for me. I figure if I have to buy something, I would prefer it be quality, which I haven't found from Asian manufacturers, save those in Japan.

US clothing, especially dress, look to Bonobos.com. AND if you buy anything, let me know, because I get a credit! and... we could work something out. You say I recommended you, and I give you a... we could work something out. BUT, for the most part, the clothing is made in MAnhattan, AND they fit well, AND the quality is pretty nice, and they're stylish and cool. Hickey Freeman is the only suit you can find at Nordstrom (worth wearing) that is made in the USA, and Good LORD do they fit nice. I've been searching LOTS of places, and can rarely find clothes made in the USA. The ENTIRE Levi's line, the ENTIRE Lucky JEans line (rat bastards moved from USA to mexico and china, although the price for jeans is STILL THE SAME), and even True Religion (not that I'd wear them) moved to Mexico.

I mean, come on corporate America, if you outsource all the jobs, the quality goes to SH--, the rich only get richer, and we still pay the same price! I don't understand how this works.

npla2112
11-08-2010, 11:51 PM
www,wintergreennorthernwear.com.....awesome stuff made in Ely,MN. It's pricey but worth it.

dd74
11-09-2010, 12:32 AM
If American consumers cared at all about American-made products or jobs, they would not be shopping in Wal-Mart.
That's true. But the Wal-Mart/Costco prices are what we are now used to. If American manufacturers lowered their prices, even if a little, but not their standards, I bet Wal-Mart/Costco shoppers would choose "America-first" before anything made overseas.

sean
11-09-2010, 12:41 AM
http://martinclothing.com/

Made in SF and run by a good friend of mine. They are "secretly bike". Meaning that they look like normal clothing off the bike, but have things like breathable fabric, re-enforced crotch/mesh thingies, magnet pockets. All sorts of fancy stuff. Nice fitting and well made. I think every piece comes with a patch kit in the tag as well.

goonster
11-09-2010, 08:59 AM
For outerwear:
Filson (http://www.filson.com)
Bemidji Woolen Mills (http://www.bemidjiwoolenmills.com)

Not all of the Filson stuff is made in the U.S., but most of the woolen and tin cloth outerwear is. Not sure about the mills.
Bemidji definitely uses fabric made in its own mill, and I understand that custom garments can be ordered. The Bemidji stuff is a really good value, imho.

Rockmount western shirts. I confess that these came to my attention through Rivendell, and now I'm kicking myself that I didn't go the store in Denver when I was there.

dave thompson
11-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Ah, one of my favorite rants; the 'WalMart-ization of America. Wal-Mart, in its quest to become the world's largest country has done a marvelous job of convincing us that price is everything, the only thing that matters. [/rant]

Karin Kirk
11-09-2010, 09:35 AM
I'm appreciating this thread, thanks for the tips on brands to look for. I'm a big fan of voting with one's dollars. I wonder if it makes sense to ask the store clerks what they have that is made in the US? Seems that letting them know your priorities would help to show that there is demand and interest.

Agreed on the Walmart/Costco cheap equals good conundrum. But hey, that's why there are other stores and brands to patronize.

soulspinner
11-09-2010, 09:46 AM
My mother tries (or tried) to buy only American clothes; she said it almost put her in the poor house.

Granted, American stuff is expensive, but you get what you pay for - just consider Serotta, IF, Kirk and the others in the bike world.

America, I've thought for a while now, manufacturers extremely high-end merchandise. The problem is those high-end items tend to become boutique, and very few can afford boutique.

Offshoots are the way to go, i.e. Waterford's Gunnar. Great product, and very inexpensive for the quality, and hand-built in our country. All good.

97CSI
11-09-2010, 09:48 AM
If American consumers cared at all about American-made products or jobs, they would not be shopping in Wal-Mart.I purchase one (1) item in Wal-Mart.............. Mobile 1 oil.

rpm
11-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Hey, thanks for the tips! In partial answer to my own question, I discovered that Orvis has a collection of made in the US. things called U.S. Patent. Here's a link:

http://www.orvis.com/store/shop.aspx?dir_id=885&group_id=22497&shop_id=22929

christian
11-09-2010, 11:05 AM
For business attire and semi-formal wear:
Hickey Freeman
H. Freeman and Sons
Southwick
Martin Greenfield (sold as Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece)
Oxxford

Shirtings:
Mercer
Gitman Vintage

For casual attire and outerwear:
LVC
Filson

Shoes:
Alden
Allen Edmonds
Limmer Boots

And you should shop at O'Connells in Buffalo.

erector
11-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Found GREAT deals here for suits, HickeyFreeman in particular

www.sierratradingpost.com and then look at the suits/sportcoats/jackets - slim pickings, but GREAT prices

fiamme red
11-09-2010, 11:09 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/apr/09/shipping-pollution

Confidential data from maritime industry insiders based on engine size and the quality of fuel typically used by ships and cars shows that just 15 of the world's biggest ships may now emit as much pollution as all the world's 760 million cars. Low-grade ship bunker fuel (or fuel oil) has up to 2,000 times the sulphur content of diesel fuel used in US and European automobiles.

bike22
11-09-2010, 11:21 AM
here's a directory of american made products: http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/