PDA

View Full Version : New Design Could Transform 1st Bike Ride

Tony Edwards
04-29-2005, 04:26 PM
I thought this was pretty neat.

From Yahoo! (http://story.news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050429/ap_on_re_us/trike_bike):

INDIANAPOLIS - Who can forget the thrill — and terror — of that first solo bicycle ride: Mom or Dad letting go, the magic of two-wheeled freedom and, inevitably, toppling over in a knee-scraping crash?

Three Purdue University industrial designers who tapped into memories of their own childhood cycling misadventures have built a bike that ditches the training wheels but keeps rookies stable.

Called SHIFT, it slowly transforms from a tricycle to bicycle configuration as the rider pedals faster, then returns to trike formation as the rider slows down . . .

Here's a pic of the prototype -

alembical
04-29-2005, 06:02 PM
I want one :banana:

That thing would be awesome for commuting....well....I guess fenders could be a challenge....but it is sure unique and cool looking.

Alembical

William
04-29-2005, 06:08 PM
Where can I get some of those aero one spokers for race wheels? :confused: :cool:

William

Cool design!

bcm119
04-29-2005, 06:10 PM
The stem is too short...seriously! Alot of kids bikes have really really short stems, which makes the steering so quick its almost impossible to get the hang of riding one. Even some old cruisers have short stem syndrome-- yesterday on the way home from work I saw an older woman bite it hard on her grocery-laden cruiser bike...those things are not as stable as they should be!