PDA

View Full Version : Proud moment....

firerescuefin
11-07-2010, 02:26 PM
I have 2 little boys (2.5 and .5) and my 2 year old goes everywhere with me, to include 60-100 miles a week in the Chariot.

I grew up with the A-hole sports dad (pushy/loud/living through me)...you get the idea, and although I appreciated that I was introduced to sports, it certainly took away from the experience. I believe how you do something (like play a sport/ride a bike) is as/more important than what your doing (sport you choose/the level of competitive success you achieve). That being said, I have been very careful with exposing my son to things while letting him gravitate towards what he has a passion for. That might sound sillly at 2, but I don't think we give kids enough credit for their emotional IQ, even at early ages. He loves to go out on rides but was never really interested in the Stryder (no training wheel) bike that we got for him 6 months ago. He would occasionally look at it in the garage, want to wear my or his helmet around the house, but that's about it.

I came home last night to find him and my wife in front of the house. She said that he would not take no for an answer and basically demanded that he was going to ride his bike (she said it sounded like me justifying my next ride) ;)

Anyhow, not an earth shattering moment as far as world events, but one that brought a lot of joy to my heart, and hopefully the first of many rides that we will experience together.

thwart
11-07-2010, 02:56 PM
one that brought a lot of joy to my heart, and hopefully the first of many rides that we will experience together. Certainly hope that's the case!

Gotta go---grad school daughter wants to get in a 'fast' 15 mile loop as a study break. Dad is a little tired from ride earlier today but (more than) happy to go along for company and draft her... :)

soul survivor
11-07-2010, 02:59 PM
You got the strategy right -- kids need to gravitate to what really makes them happy. My son started ice skating at 8 and now he's a truly great skater and a pretty good hockey player. But the key is that because he's doing what he loves, he continues to improve virtually every time he's on the ice. And he runs track, too!

Now I bought him and me two custom Serotta CDAs -- both to be delievered on his birthday next year :) !

In short, you are doing exactly the right thing with your son -- letting him make the choices, letting him enjoy sports he chooses because it makes him happy, not you!

Steve in SLO
11-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Great philosophy; good times!

AngryScientist
11-07-2010, 06:16 PM
you sound like a great dad :beer:

Pete Serotta
11-07-2010, 06:46 PM
and coaching our children to grow. Thanks for sharing. PETE

fourflys
11-07-2010, 06:58 PM
very cool!

akelman
11-07-2010, 07:08 PM
What a great picture, and, as others have said, a great dad.

jghall
11-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Nice story and great pic.

Dekonick
11-07-2010, 07:38 PM
My 3 year old was crying this morning when I left for a morning ride... he just kept saying "want to ride bikes..."

Great pic - Your son looks like a natural!

dogdriver
11-07-2010, 09:57 PM
Nicely done!

firerescuefin
11-07-2010, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the warm comments. I was blessed with great friends (and their parents) growing up and I married WAY UP when I married my wife. This is a great place (the forum) and I was excited to share it as I am sure that the story resonates more with people/dads that share the passion for riding their bikes and hope/dream of sharing it with their children.

William
11-08-2010, 05:01 AM
Very cool!!

You've got the right idea. Enjoy every moment because they grow so fast. :)

William

giverdada
11-08-2010, 05:21 AM
i have two girls, and i've been working on doing the same thing - letting them gravitate towards things instead of being pushed. that being said, it took a long time for the older one to get off the training wheels. then, just like her ability to read, one day, she mastered the bike in about 5 minutes, and i don't even think i got to see 'the moment'! :crap: a truly beautiful thing though, as my wonderful five-year-old comes pedaling around the corner yelling, 'dada! i'm riding!' one of the greatest moments of my life, to be sure. and her little sister's crowning moment to date - not wanting to wear clothes, and not wanting to get off her bike to come to dinner, and topping it all off with: "i want to eat on my bike!" kids rock. :beer:

Johny
11-08-2010, 07:59 AM
Looks like it is well-thought-out as the color of his bike matches your kit. :)

Great parenting philosophy and keep up the good work.

Guide them and help them make good choices but understand ultimately it is they who decide for themselves. In academia, we have graduate students who like to introduce themselves as someone working for Dr. X/Y/Z. However, as one professor points out, "you are working for yourself."

My 3 boys (6,5,4) have taught me more than I teach them.

John

Pete Serotta
11-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Been awhile since I have seen him, but do miss the summer time with Douglas Brooks. (Yeah I miss DBRK a lot too) :crap: :crap: PETE

Looks like it is well-thought-out as the color of his bike matches your kit. :)

Great parenting philosophy and keep up the good work.

Guide them and help them make good choices but understand ultimately it is they who decide for themselves. In academia, we have graduate students who like to introduce themselves as someone working for Dr. X/Y/Z. However, as one professor points out, "you are working for yourself."

My 3 boys (6,5,4) have taught me more than I teach them.

John

Johny
11-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Been awhile since I have seen him, but do miss the summer time with Douglas Brooks. (Yeah I miss DBRK a lot too) :crap: :crap: PETE

Miss you (and dbrk) too Pete. And the summer time with everyone at dbrk's is something I cherish.

Hope all is well and I'll see you soon. http://cruiseshiptalk.com/forums/images/smilies/wine.gif

John

rpm
11-08-2010, 11:46 AM
That's great! When my son and daughter were growing up, I bought them bikes and really tried to get them interested, but they really wanted no part of it. They had endurance sports bodies though, and both became good runners and cross-country skiers and my son rowed in college. Much to my surprise, in grad school my son joined the cycling team and raced. (That was at Harvard, where he got some really good coaching, by the way).

Now my son lives in the SF Bay area and runs and bikes regularly. My daughter lives in D.C., does yoga, and bikes to work. I could never get them to bike with me when they were kids, but now they're happy to go biking!

Bob Loblaw
11-08-2010, 08:57 PM
That is an awesome picture!

BL