PDA

View Full Version : Where to find old style Campy brake pads (see pic)

maximus
11-07-2010, 07:52 AM
I have a pair of Chorus monplaner brake calipers that I cleaned up and would like to use. The pads are spent though - trying to find replacements.

I have a pair of silver, dual pivot Chorus brakes from an older 10s group, and I tried using the cartridges/pads from them (would have looked great), but the mounting bolt on the 10s brakes are too large for the holes in brake arms on the monoplaners.

Am I am stuck replacing the old-style pads? Will newer, silver Shimano cartridges work (smaller bolt)?

There are NOS Campy pads on eBay, and SwissStop makes some new ones. My dilemma is, the pads I removed have a cutout in the back to allow for the mounting nut within the cartridge (see pic below). Looks like you slide the nut and pad together into the cartridge. No pads I have found have this. I could cut them myself, but I am hoping someone here would know where I can find an appropriate set of pads without having to modify them.

Thanks! :beer:

csm
11-07-2010, 07:57 AM
I thought I was the only one using those brakes!
I have aztec pads on mine. they work pretty good.

wasfast
11-07-2010, 08:17 AM
Not certain if this was the same pad type used in Delta brakes but if it is, you can find the pads at World Class cycles:

http://www.worldclasscycles.com/brakepads_cart.htm

maximus
11-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Close to the Delta pads - but do not have the rounded sides...

Steelman
11-07-2010, 04:59 PM
I use Jagwire Road Comp pads in my monoplaners. The winter eats up brake pads, and they are cheap, $5 per pair or less.

shiftyfixedgear
11-07-2010, 05:07 PM
Koolstop makes replica Campy Nuovo Record pads that should fit perfectly in those holders. AND they should stop a whole lot better than the originals.

Is it that hard to take a razor blade and make the modification in the middle ?

130R
11-07-2010, 05:08 PM
Hit up Baron from http://www.the-bici.com/

he's got exactly what you need.

thwart
11-07-2010, 05:21 PM
My wife has Athena monoplanars on her Waterford. Same problem last year, so I just stole a pair of cartridge/pads from some Veloces I had laying around... they're all black, so not as elegant looking, but they stop her just fine.

That said, looks like you have plenty of options at this point...

maximus
11-07-2010, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the responses. Going with some NOS pads sans groove. :beer: