PDA

View Full Version : Buying a used carbon frame on eBay . . .

BumbleBeeDave
11-07-2010, 07:28 AM
I don't currently have a carbon bike but would certainly like to add one to my stable, and there sure seem to be a lot of good deals out there on eBay right now.

So what about buying used carbon off the 'Bay vs. other materials? Good idea? Bad idea?

If I am going to be shopping, what should I look for that might be red flags different from looking at aluminum, Ti, or steel?

Anybody have particularly good or bad experiences buying used carbon where the reason was the frame material?

BBD

avalonracing
11-07-2010, 07:42 AM
I don't know that I could by a used carbon from an unknown party. You may want to consider NOS if you must go carbon. Or buy one where you trust the seller... Like some from the forum. ;)

thwart
11-07-2010, 08:15 AM
One word.

Look.

I mean, the frame-maker...

BTW, I think (as of Nov 1) you have additional protections as a buyer on eBay. What this is going to mean as a seller... ? :rolleyes:

mike p
11-07-2010, 08:35 AM
I bought a fuji toyota united team frame on e-bay and couldn't be happier with it! I think you want to know about the frame your buying ( any broblems with them in general ) ask alot of questions, and ck the sellers feedback. Same as you would for any e-bay purchase.

Mike

oldpotatoe
11-07-2010, 08:54 AM
I don't currently have a carbon bike but would certainly like to add one to my stable, and there sure seem to be a lot of good deals out there on eBay right now.

So what about buying used carbon off the 'Bay vs. other materials? Good idea? Bad idea?

If I am going to be shopping, what should I look for that might be red flags different from looking at aluminum, Ti, or steel?

Anybody have particularly good or bad experiences buying used carbon where the reason was the frame material?

BBD

http://cgi.ebay.com/Full-Carbon-Fiber-Bike-Bicycle-50cm-Road-Frame-Fork-/220691418041

I'll bet they have your size. Looks familiar.

http://www.wrenchscience.com/road/frames/Pinarello?gclid=CKak9PL6jqUCFQqAgwodn0k-NQ

http://www.wrenchscience.com/road/frames/Pinarello/KOBH+60.1

lhuerta
11-07-2010, 08:56 AM
Buying used carbon without inspecting it first is quite a gamble. Having gone through 3 cracked Cervelo R3 frames in less then 24 months, I would not be comfortable buying used carbon given that there is simply no warranty protection on something used. In fact, I wouldn't buy a new carbon frame without a full lifetime warranty. BTW, Cervelo has quickly and efficiently replaced each frame...waiting on my fourth new Cervelo now.
Lou

ahumblecycler
11-07-2010, 09:18 AM
Buying any used frame regardless of material is a risk ... PERIOD!

What you, as the buyer, needs to do is weigh the cost savings of buying used, and perhaps greater savings through Ebay, against buying new. Alternatively (and I may spark a nasty debate here ... Pez forgive me), you may consider buying/importing a Chinese unbranded frame.

Secosera
11-07-2010, 10:50 AM
With ebay, if the item is not as described (damage that wasn't mentioned or visible in photos, different than what is described) you can go through Ebay Buyer Protection and get a full refund, even if the seller states "no returns"

I had this happen recently with a set of zipp wheels. Seller claimed they were 2004's when in fact they were 2001's. He said "no returns" in the ad, but ebay took care of it.

Look for good feedback (anything under 99.5% I am suspect of, unless they have over 10000 feedback).

97CSI
11-07-2010, 10:53 AM
Have purchased two carbon frames (Lemond & Trek) with no problems. Just like anything else on ebay.........talk to the seller first and buy from those with a good feedback profile.

Want a '97 Trek carbon frame set? I'm selling one at a good price.

cuwinbs
11-07-2010, 11:04 AM
look at the sellers feedback do they sell/buy alot of bike stuff.ive bought over 300 things on ebay and have never been burned.ask for extra pics of the frame.good luck!

rcnute
11-07-2010, 11:37 AM
One word.

Look.

BTW, I think (as of Nov 1) you have additional protections as a buyer on eBay. What this is going to mean as a seller... ? :rolleyes:

I bought two Look frames on ebay. No problems and they were great bikes. Wish I still had the KG381 or whatever it was called.

Kirk007
11-07-2010, 11:52 AM
also lots of closeout deals. I was in similar situation, hankering to give carbon another try and found one a closeout on a Ridley Damocles ISP for $1100; as Ridley is one of the very few production frame makers that make a frame with dimensions that work well for me it is now in the UPS truck. But searching around the various websites I saw a lot of very nice frames for reasonable cost, and they have the warranty!

cadence90
11-07-2010, 12:14 PM
BBD: check your PMs.

firerescuefin
11-07-2010, 12:59 PM
BBD,

Curious as to what your looking for (size/type of ride)?

Geoff

spartacus
11-07-2010, 01:06 PM
Buying used carbon without inspecting it first is quite a gamble. Having gone through 3 cracked Cervelo R3 frames in less then 24 months, I would not be comfortable buying used carbon given that there is simply no warranty protection on something used. In fact, I wouldn't buy a new carbon frame without a full lifetime warranty. BTW, Cervelo has quickly and efficiently replaced each frame...waiting on my fourth new Cervelo now.
Lou

Three in two years? Did they all crack in the same area of the frame? Not an inspiring story.

BumbleBeeDave
11-07-2010, 01:09 PM
I've always been a careful eBay shopper and have never gotten burned. I just wouldn't want this to be the first time! :eek:

I ride a pretty stock 56cm. The Queen Bee is a 57/57 and I've compensated a bit for that with a 90 insrtead of 100 stem and shallow drop Ritchey biomax bars and it fits perfectly.

My Specialized (Zebra Bike) is a compact virtual 56 with 100 stem and standard drop and reach bars and also fits just about perfect--well within the range of dialing it in via small saddle up-down fore-aft adjustments.

BBD

Charles M
11-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Buying any used frame regardless of material is a risk ... PERIOD!

What you, as the buyer, needs to do is weigh the cost savings of buying used, and perhaps greater savings through Ebay, against buying new. Alternatively (and I may spark a nasty debate here ... Pez forgive me), you may consider buying/importing a Chinese unbranded frame.

I agree completely tha buying used on ebay is a gamble regardless of material. I dont think that gamble is any less buying unbranded from overseas.

bobswire
11-07-2010, 01:31 PM
I agree completely tha buying used on ebay is a gamble regardless of material. I dont think that gamble is any less buying unbranded from overseas.

Hey Charles,maybe PEZ or some other review sources do a thorough review of unbranded Chinese carbon fiber frames? It would be of great interest as well as a service to perspective buyers.
Plus it could settle the question once and for all on the quality of these frames. Some claim they are the same as name brand frames while others say they are junk.
Just a thought.

97CSI
11-07-2010, 01:35 PM
LouNow we know why they merged their team with Garmin. You've driven them into bankruptcy. :)

BengeBoy
11-07-2010, 01:59 PM
I'd consider one of the "lightly branded" carbon frames from someone like Pedal Force before an "unbranded" carbon frame off eBay. Neuvation is another source.

I gather that these are some of the same frames that one sees roaming around eBay, but they've been imported by a US company, presumably have some quality control, and have warranties.

Like this:

http://pedalforce.com/online/product_info.php?cPath=100088_101740&products_id=6524

Another option is to get a bike from Bikes Direct or one of Performance's house-brand bikes and sell off the components you don't need and keep the frame.

wc1934
11-07-2010, 05:27 PM
can't vouch for them, but directbikes.com are selling carbon motobecanes with full ultegra (complete bike) for 1200 - might be worth investigating

weisan
11-07-2010, 05:30 PM
One word.

Look.

I second that.

Charles M
11-07-2010, 05:50 PM
Hey Charles,maybe PEZ or some other review sources do a thorough review of unbranded Chinese carbon fiber frames? It would be of great interest as well as a service to perspective buyers.
Plus it could settle the question once and for all on the quality of these frames. Some claim they are the same as name brand frames while others say they are junk.
Just a thought.

I can tell you in the three cases that thse frames look very familiar with the branded frames, that in every case I have seen first hand, the unbranded frames were of lesser quality. Shape is one thing but QC on lay up and raw material selection were evident in ride quality and weight. The unbranded finish quality was also very poor.

Nothing exploded, they just rode crappy and in one case the BB was mounted poorly and the cups didnt line up right and the cranks turned poorly.

I won't get in to all the things that can be done poorly in frames (regardless of material). But I can say that the unbadged frames I have seen, I simply wouldnt spend money on. They were not the same as frames that looked similar.

The crazy thing is that there are a group of people that are attracted to low quality product simply because of price. I guess that really shouldnt be a shock given the huge market for Knock off and fake goods, but If the hand falls off my watch, I dont wind up treating road rash or worse...

bobswire
11-07-2010, 06:13 PM
I can tell you in the three cases that thse frames look very familiar with the branded frames, that in every case I have seen first hand, the unbranded frames were of lesser quality. Shape is one thing but QC on lay up and raw material selection were evident in ride quality and weight. The unbranded finish quality was also very poor.

Nothing exploded, they just rode crappy and in one case the BB was mounted poorly and the cups didnt line up right and the cranks turned poorly.

I won't get in to all the things that can be done poorly in frames (regardless of material). But I can say that the unbadged frames I have seen, I simply wouldnt spend money on. They were not the same as frames that looked similar.

The crazy thing is that there are a group of people that are attracted to low quality product simply because of price. I guess that really shouldnt be a shock given the huge market for Knock off and fake goods, but If the hand falls off my watch, I dont wind up treating road rash or worse...

Pretty much what I would have guessed, Thanks. I was just wondering why we haven't heard much about all those frames being sold off Ebay. My guess was there was nothing to brag about.
Right now there a two Look Team Pro 585's (NOS 2008) starting at $1399 on Ebay. There is a good chance someone may be able to pick one up at that price.

chuckroast
11-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Dave, I don't know if this would work where you are but if I were looking for a carbon bike (or frame), I'd look at Craigslist here locally. My reasoning is that I could look at the frame/ bike in person.

tkbike
11-07-2010, 06:30 PM
I have purchased two used carbon frames and would not hesitate in purchasing another. Both frames were acquired from this forum, a Lemond Zurich and a Look 595, the Lemond was sold to another forumite who was very happy with it. I agree that a Look is the way to go, I don't see myself selling the Look or looking for another full carbon bike in the near future, although I am intrigued with the Calfees!

Louis
11-07-2010, 09:01 PM
One word.

Look.

I agree that a Look is the way

I don't get it. Given all the other CF framemakers out there (Serotta, Calfee, Parlee, Crupton, etc.) all of which have stellar reputations for fine products, why limit Dave to just one brand?

Lifelover
11-07-2010, 10:10 PM
I can not fathom buying a no name frame when there are so many amazing deals in the used market.

Ask direct question about the frame condition and it's history. Most sellers on ebay are honest.

You should be able to get an older, brand name CF frame and fork for under $500 shipped. Any of the Lance era Madones should be great rides.

If you are willing to take your time you should be able to find a new, premium quality frame for around a grand. Maybe even one from a custom builder.

jeo99
11-08-2010, 07:50 AM
"The crazy thing is that there are a group of people that are attracted to low quality product simply because of price. I guess that really shouldnt be a shock given the huge market for Knock off and fake goods, but If the hand falls off my watch, I dont wind up treating road rash or worse..."

+1 Well stated!

:beer:

saab2000
11-08-2010, 07:59 AM
I have bought two Looks online. One here and one on the RBR forum. Both have turned out to be excellent bikes which I enjoy riding.

Carbon bikes are not fragile, contrary to some folks' opinions.

Looks pop up all the time on eBay and are very well built, well designed race bikes with a pro race pedigree dating back to the 1986 TdF.

You can do a lot worse than getting a 585 for $1000-$1500 on eBay (or elsewhere).

cmg
11-08-2010, 08:44 AM
as always when dealing on eBay ask alot of questions to the seller, ask for additional photos. If they supply them you may be dealing with an honest seller. But anything off ebay is a risk. got a fuji carbon frame about 3 months ago. It was NOS, it's fine.

oldfatslow
11-08-2010, 07:47 PM
Get one of the many extremely inexpensive brand new ($329-$379) Taiwanese/Chinese/Hong Kong carbon frame sets available for purchase on eBay. You will not be disappointed.

When you crash it in the crit or drive it into the wall of the garage while attached to the roof of your car you'll be sad but you won't be "wholly schmolly I just killed my Crumpton!" sad.

Lifelover
11-08-2010, 09:43 PM
Get one of the many extremely inexpensive brand new ($329-$379) Taiwanese/Chinese/Hong Kong carbon frame sets available for purchase on eBay. You will not be disappointed.

When you crash it in the crit or drive it into the wall of the garage while attached to the roof of your car you'll be sad but you won't be "wholly schmolly I just killed my Crumpton!" sad.

Kinda like dating a fat girl so you won't care when she leaves you?
Problem is she might not leave.