PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for mountain biking at Lake Tahoe

sevencyclist
04-29-2005, 01:41 PM
I will have the unique opportunity to mountainbike at Tahoe this weekend. However, due to time pressure imposed by our spouses, we are limited to biking somewhere close to South Lake Tahoe to reduce travel time, which means we won't be able to ride the famed Flume Trail.

Does anyone have recommendations regarding mountainbike trails around Fallen Leaf Lake, which is about 8 miles north of South Lake Tahoe on the west side of the lake? Thanks

vaxn8r
04-29-2005, 05:37 PM
I know it's not exactly what you're looking for but I was there about 1999 and there was very good mountain biking around Squaw Valley..which is west side but maybe a bit further north than you were looking. Miles and miles of good trails, lots of technical up and down.

Skrawny
04-29-2005, 06:03 PM
Hey,
I haven't ridden in Taho much, but this site might be helpful.

http://www.tahoerimtrail.org/

-s

Tmogul
04-29-2005, 11:30 PM
Sevencyclist,

I don't know specifically what your schedule is and I'm afraid I can't give you any info on other bike trails (actually local bike shops there sell maps) but I can say that the Flume Trail is awsome!!!! My wife and I went there one summer and we did the long loop. (26mi or so....lots of climbing, switch backs) You need to do the long loop. I guess if you are short on time you can just get to the lakes up there and get back. Its a tough climb full of sandy trails getting up there....well tough cause I did it on my freeride/downhill bike. (Ellsworth Dare) We stayed there for three days and I rode it three times and she rode it twice.

Once you're up there if you go clockwise you'll first hit the section that overlooks lake tahoe itself and its just beautiful. Then you do some serious climbing up switch backs for quite some distance and then end with some really fun single track which is the real highlight of the ride. It makes you feel like your alpine skiing through the trees. If you get there really really early you could probabaly squeeze in a quick loop and have the whole day free. I highly recommend it. There is no trail up there I think that compares....at least in south tahoe.

Well I think this message is probably too late getting to you but when you mentioned good old flume trail it just brought back memories. It was our first mtn bike trip after we got married and we had a wonderful time. If you can't do it this weekend you definitely need to go back and do it some other time. Enjoy your trip.

Ken Robb
04-30-2005, 01:28 AM
15 years ago I rode some great singletrack out the west side of the campground at Sugarpine Pt. State Park. It's probably off-limits to bikes now though.

hikeabike
04-30-2005, 03:10 AM
The Sugarpine State Park recommendation is probably your best bet. Nice trails and lots of fun exploring. But snow levels may still be around that area. Might be some trails around the resort before you get to Fallen Leaf. Best to call Olympic Bicycle Sport in Tahoe City for other possible areas.

sevencyclist
05-02-2005, 10:40 PM
Thank you very much for your input. You are right that the snow is still covering most of the trails. In fact, there were some places where the drift had created about 8 feet of snow covering the trails.

We ended up riding the roads around Fallen Leaf Lake and enjoyed the snowy mountains while huffing and puffing at altitude.

According to the local riders, Flume Trail is the one to ride. I will ride it someday. Thanks.

:fight: