PDA

View Full Version : Queer eye for Sandy's winter cycling wardrobe

Smiley
12-13-2003, 09:05 AM
Help me please, I spent 7 months convincing Sandy his fit on the bike was all wrong. Now I need some help convincing him that winter cyling clothing has evolved to more that wearing 2 tee shirts under his windbreaker jacket. The guy needs Booties, a helmet cover , balakava , thermal tights and yes a modern day winter jacket. Oh yes it would be nice if it all matches his beautifull Ottrott blue tinted frame. No wonder Serotta does not use real life clients in their product bulletins. I can just see Sandy now pictured in the 2004 bulletin dressed as he normally does leaning on his Ottrott. We kid cause we love you Sandy, are you really getting a workout at spin class? Its fun riding in the cold just ask Dave N.

CIII_bill
12-13-2003, 09:49 AM
The thong has to go too.

M_A_Martin
12-13-2003, 12:16 PM
That Sandy wears a thong under his winter riding clothes?

Smiley, I think rather than to attempt to appeal to Sandy's sense of style, it would be better to point out that specific cycling clothing has been invented so that you can ride in the winter time WITHOUT getting too COLD and extend your outdoor riding season (cheaper than spin classes)!

If Sandy purchased some cycling specific winter wear, he could ride outside much longer into the fall and more importantly, be comfortable in the spring when the weather isn't any better than now, we just go outside and ride in it because it is afterall...spring.
(All those bike bunnies will abandon the spin classes and he will loose his indoor scenery too, so he better be prepared.)

Sandy, there's decent quality fairly reasonably priced winter cycling gear available. Especially when the bike shops get the next year's cycling clothing in.

Ginger, style goddess. (HA...yeah right)

And Smiley...you ain't no winter fashion plate yourself you know...I have pictures to prove it.

flydhest
12-13-2003, 12:47 PM
MA,

And Smiley...you ain't no winter fashion plate yourself you know...I have pictures to prove it.

Ouch, baby. Very, very ouch. Of course, it's true, but still . . .

Seriously, I think MA is right on. The thing that will make him update his wardrobe is to realize how much better and more comfortable you are when wearing this stuff. I really think this is one of the great breakthroughs in modern science. Capilene underwear, a long sleeve jersey, and a windproof jacket is enough for me to ride at 10 degrees. OK, so the feet and the hands are trickier, but you get the idea.

Len J
12-13-2003, 01:18 PM
When it gets really cold, does he wear his hunting gear? After all, it is warm.

Len

keno
12-13-2003, 02:12 PM
So Smiley, when exactly was it that it that folks clued Sandy in to the possibility that his bike didn't exactly fit? I figure you'll see Sandy riding during the winter in 2007, in Florida.

keno, just coming in from a quick 30 miles in a windy 30 degrees

Not to brake upon seeing upcoming ice is to screw up (there were places today where my riding partner and I had to stop, get off the bikes, and walk across the ice, which, as to the last item, creates its own challenges with cleats on defeets)

M_A_Martin
12-13-2003, 03:04 PM
I don't consider riding in winter a fashion competition. And road biking? The louder the better to be seen with.

But I'm all about using the technical breakthroughs available to extend the riding season!

Ginger

Smiley
12-13-2003, 03:24 PM
I just purchased over $ 600 worth of new gear for winter, quite the fashion hog now. I should send you pictures only if you burn the negatives on hand. Heck you can't judge the clothes I wear by the Open House weekend can you? I wore everything I brought with me , heck it was cold up there at Serottaville especially in early October.
Hey Flyman, what about those Holy Shorts does the Doctor intend on buying you new gear for Christmas. And to the best of my knowledge Sandy missed out on a good 35 miler today cause he can't ride without warm gear in 32-35 degree outside temps. I think Dave N. would call this weather Spring.

M_A_Martin
12-13-2003, 04:55 PM
The owners weekend is the only time I've ever saw you ready to ride...and you looked pretty dang funny.

Besides...I would think on owner's weekend you would have been wearing your Sunday best...it was Sunday after all...and if that was your Sunday best...

Of course, you looked better than Keno did initially, but I think Mr. Levine helped him out before the actual ride so Keno was presentable on that OttRott. No large orange flappy jacket if I remember right. Hmmmmm where are those pictures.

And yes, My PT has taken me off the bike for a while.

keno
12-13-2003, 05:21 PM
my look alike, separated at birth, impossible to tell apart, yes, none other than flydhest. He wore that day an orangish, billowing jacket and carried it off quite well, dropping back and dragging many of us back to the pack. As for myself, I had donned for the day, prior to the generous loan by Mr. Levine of a stylish, form fitting yellow number, a specially designed jacket color coordinated with Oh Bebe, having turqoise and maroon panels and, according to Mr. Levine, a disadvantageous volume insofar as making tracks, so to speak, was concerned.

In any event, I can understand your confusing fly and i.

keno

M_A_Martin
12-13-2003, 07:28 PM
Thank you for clarifying...

I do now vaugly remember the beautiful jacket you started out in. The clothing exchanges were flying fast and furious and Mr Levine swept you away so quickly to fix your aerodynamics that it was only a fleeting memory.
Reviewing my pictures, there were so many fluffy orange jackets out on that day that I can see how my mind made the switch. You and fly are both taller than I am...hence my confusion I suppose. It just shows you how little attention I pay to men that I ride with. No WONDER all my riding buddies wives let me ride alone with their husbands....
They are SO not worried.

My apologies for insulting your fashion sense.

Smiley
12-14-2003, 09:27 AM
So why does Ben and company not use US the real Serotta Clients in their photo shoots , what too embaresed to have us on the cover of Voge Serotta Catalog. The only Fashion slave at the Open House in my opinion was Bruse K , he was the bomb dressed to the nines with matching outfit to his Ottrott. My man Ahnieda did not look too shabby either.

M_A_Martin
12-14-2003, 10:51 AM
Paul Levine.

When you're that coordinated Smiley...maybe you could talk to Ben about being in his catalog.

Besides, its not like a swimsuit shoot where they go to Figi or something...

Ahneida certainly has left his fred days behind and was well coordinated in a very understated way...a huge improvement over the previous year. He's come a long long way.

Sandy
12-14-2003, 12:51 PM
Smiley,

You will be proud of me. I just went out and spent $950. I bought a black gore-tex lined tuxedo, a black top hat with matching earmuffs and Serotta logos, patent leather bicycle shoes, with Look black cleats. Now I am properly attired for any winter ride, anywhere, anytime. I can hardly wait for our next winter ride.

Sandman