PDA

View Full Version : Tail bone/butt pain after CX practice.

LiteFM
11-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Hi all, hoping to get some insight on a nagging new pain I'm getting after doing intervals in the park and basic dismount/re-mounts with stair climbs. I doubt it's a fit issue but I could be wrong. This is a fairly new bike for me and it feels dialed in but I'm not sure. The pain is in my tail bone and my butt cheeks. I've ridden plenty of road miles and never experience this before. Do I just need to harden some muscles that haven't been used before prior to a CX regiment? Any feedback is welcome. Thanks for reading.
Best,
John

Dave
11-07-2010, 08:04 AM
This subject was discussed recently. Do a google search on tailbone pain and you'll get lots of info. You may have caused yourself some injury by coming down hard on the saddle.

My butt pain is due to arthritis constricting the nerve passages in the spine. The pain has nothing to do with my butt. Spinal surgery is probably my only option for permanent relief. A cortisone shot around T5-S1 didn't do it.

mike p
11-07-2010, 08:39 AM
Make sure your re-mounting properly, coming down on your inside thigh and not directly on your tailbone?

Mike

LiteFM
11-07-2010, 09:53 AM
You know come to think of it, I always slam down on my butt when re-mounting. I really need to practice hitting my thigh instead. Going to have to learn that this week. Thanks a lot!

cuwinbs
11-07-2010, 11:07 AM
is your seat the same as your road bike?i like a bit more padding on my cross bike.

LiteFM
11-07-2010, 11:17 AM
It's an older Flite. My road saddle is an Arione CX. What's all the hype about Concor Lights? worth a shot?

shiftyfixedgear
11-07-2010, 05:55 PM
To speed your healing I would suggest a big-ass Gel saddle pad like on the department-bikes lashed to a ladder on the back of a Winnebago.

And then add a sheepskin cover to make everyone jealous.

LiteFM
11-08-2010, 01:07 PM
NICE! Good thinking there, I'll get on that. :fight:

Ralph
11-08-2010, 01:24 PM
Like Dave said....we had a long discussion about this recently.

If you actually have a Coccyx issue now.....and that's something you need to determine.....you need to stay off it. So stop riding a rounded seat in the middle. I have Coccyx pain, and I do better with a flat relatively firm seat with cutout where my coccyx might impact otherwise. I use a Specialized Alias. It's very flat, front to rear. And firm. There are others made like this. Soft, like Gel seats and thick foam seats just cause problems, I just sink into them, my coccyx gets pressure, and hurts. You have to keep all contact away from area. When mine was bad, before it started getting better, before I relearned how to sit properly at home and in car, I didn't understand all this, and it hurt so bad it was difficult to tell exactly where the pain was coming from.

But first, you need to determine the source of your pain, and let it heal. Coccyx injuries are very slow to heal. Can take a year or so.

crossjunkee
11-09-2010, 02:03 AM
Make sure your re-mounting properly, coming down on your inside thigh and not directly on your tailbone?

Mike

BINGO!