PDA

View Full Version : Wheel dish issue

Kupe
11-06-2010, 06:42 PM
Last Sauturday's CX race found my drive-side rear canti in my spokes. Fortunately, it didn't get all the way into my spokes and do damage. Cleaning my bike tonight and noticed that pad rubbing and upon further inspection found the dish to have shifted to that side as well. Is it totally out of the realm of possibility that the brake pad could have ridden on the nipples and spun them enough to knock the dish out? Sounds crazy I know, but.... :confused:

pitcrew
11-06-2010, 06:45 PM
No, the brake/brake pad couldn't have altered the dish of the wheel itself. What makes you think the dish is off? What are the symptoms?

David Kirk
11-06-2010, 06:48 PM
While I suppose anything is possible I seriously doubt that your pad could slip down and mess with all the nipples on that side equally to effect dish but not knock the wheel wildly out of true.

What makes you feel that the dish of the wheel has changed? Have you tried flipping the wheel around (won't work I know) to see if it lines up the same between the stays?

Do you have, or have access to, a dishing tool?

dave

Kupe
11-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Using the seat stays as a guide, I can tell just by looking. I haven't actually measured it yet, but sliding a finger in between rim and seat stay on either side confirms it. I'm going to switch tires to my other set of wheels, which I have checked and are centered. I'll drop it off at the shop and have my "wheel guy" look at it. It's just wierd, that's all.

Kupe
11-06-2010, 06:56 PM
...and what led me to think that this may have been possible was the baseball card effect I had when it happened and that it didn't actually get into the spokes. Beddy interesting....

pitcrew
11-06-2010, 06:56 PM
First thing I would check is to make sure the wheel is sitting straight in the dropouts. My guess is that it is not in the dropouts correctly.....

David Kirk
11-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Take 30 seconds and put the rear wheel in backward and if the wheel moves to the other side the dish is off. if it stays the same then the frame is off.

Let us know what you find.

Dave

ergott
11-06-2010, 07:18 PM
I vote for not possible. If the pad started touching the nipples, it would have locked up the wheel first.

Look at the swing of the brake pads. Sometimes they are at the end of their travel and are swinging down as them move in. You may have to work on the brake setup or possible switch brakes until they hit the rims as they are moving relatively perpendicular to the brake surface.

So Kirk's simple test. If it is out of dish it is more likely that the spokes weren't properly stress relieved. That could bring the wheel to the left and result in the drive side brake missing the rim.

Kupe
11-06-2010, 07:57 PM
I come to y'all with head hung in shame and knowing that I'll never have to leave my family for months at a time as a pro mechanic, because I can't even seat a wheel in the drop outs when I put in back in. Dumbass!!! :crap:

pitcrew
11-06-2010, 08:14 PM
Hey, gotta take the easy fixes when you can. :beer:

Peter P.
11-07-2010, 05:44 AM
Kupe, I love your confession!

thwart
11-07-2010, 06:27 AM
Well, I've never done anything that stupid... right. :rolleyes:

David Kirk
11-07-2010, 07:52 AM
We have all done it - good to hear that was all it was.

have fun,

dave