PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering

Lifelover
11-06-2010, 08:27 AM
Will a 9 speed cassette work with a 10 speed shifter?

firerescuefin
11-06-2010, 08:29 AM
Ask AndrewS :cool:

maxdog
11-06-2010, 08:40 AM
Ask AndrewS :cool:
seems unnecessary! andrew has posted some interesting and pertinent threads in my short time as a member. maybe his last post offended some in the business such as dave, and that is understandable. i'm sure he did not mean to. my guess is he was as usual, looking for some feedback on an endeavor he would like to try. it's so easy to mock, but much harder to contribute. okay time to get in a ride, as winter is rearing it's head.

dancinkozmo
11-06-2010, 08:40 AM
...i dont see why not.
...try it out on your kirk. :)

firerescuefin
11-06-2010, 08:50 AM
seems unnecessary! andrew has posted some interesting and pertinent threads in my short time as a member. maybe his last post offended some in the business such as dave, and that is understandable. i'm sure he did not mean to. my guess is he was as usual, looking for some feedback on an endeavor he would like to try. it's so easy to mock, but much harder to contribute. okay time to get in a ride, as winter is rearing it's head.

If the cap fits....you want to call people out who have legitimate questions (in their minds) mouthbreathers, while justifying your own intellectual curiosity, talk down to other forum members, and talk up your exploits as Maverick/ and or Iceman (take your pick)...prepare for some ribbing. Perhaps you could start the fan club.

rugbysecondrow
11-06-2010, 08:53 AM

Bob Loblaw
11-06-2010, 12:08 PM
It's not as simple as putting it all together. There's a company called Jtek that makes a product called the shiftmate (http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm) that may accomplish what you need. Never worked with one of these, but #2 is claimed to mate up shifters and drivetrains of different speeds.

BL

cnighbor1
11-06-2010, 05:20 PM
You can use a higher indexed shifter on less rear cogs very easy. I do it all the time.You just set limit screws on rear derailleur so no over shifting of chain occurs. the top pulley floats side to side a bit to make up difference.
There is even spacers to use campy cogs with shimano shifters
And in reverse also
I also run suntour indexed shifters on campy and shimano

TAW
11-06-2010, 05:39 PM
A 9 speed cassette will work with a 10 speed shifter, you just have to adjust the RD stops to hinder the last shift. I currently have this set up on one of my bikes and it works fine.

oldpotatoe
11-07-2010, 06:42 AM
Will a 9 speed cassette work with a 10 speed shifter?

No, 10s cogsets and 9s cogsets are spaced differently. I think it is more than changing the limit screws, the 10s shifter moves the RD a certain amount which is much less than a 9s shifter.