PDA

View Full Version : More loose bolts: This time stem bolts...

bulliedawg
04-29-2005, 09:34 AM
I have a Ritchey stem, with the four-bolt face plate. I have a torque wrench that I use to tighen them. But it always amazes me how loose the bottom two bolts become over time. What further amazes me is that the handlebar doesn't seem to slip. Or if it does, then it slips imperceptibly over time.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is this something to be concerned about?

William
04-29-2005, 10:33 AM
I never had a problem with the face plate on the 140 Ritchey stem that was on the Bianchi loosening up on me. Do you alternate from bolt to bolt as you tighten?

William

OldDog
04-29-2005, 01:28 PM
I can't remember bolt coming loose, ever, until my Ritchey compact crank, which is my first Ritchey product.

Is it just Ritchey stuff or do others have problems with bolts coming loose?

GregL
04-29-2005, 01:57 PM
I have two bikes with Ritchey 4-bolt faceplate stems (one WCS, one Comp). Neither has ever loosened up on me. I check them once or twice a year, but they've always stayed appropriately tight. Ritchey has recommendations for tightening their WCS stems on their website (http://www.ritcheylogic.com/faqtech.htm). I use a calibrated Snap-On torque wrench for many bolts on my bikes, particularly on cranks, bottom brackets, and stems.

Any bolt can loosen if not tightened correctly, sealed with a thread locking compound, or safety wired. Additionally, the torque value for a given fastener is based on many factors (fastener material, lubricated or dry threads, plating on fastener surface, etc...). For most cycling applications, correct torque will hold a fastener without the need for any additional assistance from thread locking compounds. I use a lubricant or anti-seizing agent on all fasteners before tightening them. I also re-check "critical" fasteners several times each season to ensure safety.

Regards,
Greg

PsyDoc
04-29-2005, 02:15 PM
The installation instructions for the WCS, per a conversation with Ritchey, is to tighten the top two bolts first...just till the faceplate contacts the face of the stem. I like to leave just a smidge of space. Then, torque down the bottom two bolts to 5Nm or 43-45 inch pounds. When you torque down the bottom two bolts, you may want to alternate tightening each bolt about 1/4 - 1/2 turn until you reach the correct torque. I have used WCS stems for 4 years now and have never had any of the bolts loosen up on me. The only thing I do is apply some Phil Wood bearing grease (green stuff) to the bolt threads.

Also, you should not re-check the torque of a bolt by simply putting a torque wrench to it and tightening it. You should always loosen the bolt first. I remember reading that re-checking torque settings could do more harm than good. As I recall, a tightener has a maximum clamping power at a specified torque setting. Once a tightener is torqued, there will be some "loosening" of the bolt head, not threads, even though the torque level is correct. When you retorque, you are in essence exceeding the recommended torque value. So, if you want to check the torque settings, then loosen all bolts first, then bring them back up to the specific torque level.

bulliedawg
04-29-2005, 02:34 PM
It's not the WCS stem with the Z-interface. It's the comp stem. That must factor in to the way the bolts are tightened.

Unfortunately, the FAQ page only addresses the z-interface.