PDA

View Full Version : OT: need to restore your faith in humanity a little?

Climb01742
11-05-2010, 08:18 AM
then just read this:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20101104/od_yblog_upshot/nicest-canadian-couple-in-world-doles-out-lottery-winnings

Steve in SLO
11-05-2010, 09:11 AM
That is a nice story.

Other recent nice things:

In Australia, a woman was saved from the jaws of a great white shark yesterday by a swimmer she didn't really know.

Locally, a do-gooder is on the loose, as well:
http://slo.craigslist.org/bik/2042014888.html

Pete Serotta
11-05-2010, 11:51 AM
There are lots more of the good ones than the bad ones - - but :crap: we always seem to hear too much about the bad ones :no:

Thanks Pete

Ray
11-05-2010, 01:06 PM
Humanity or people? I've never lost faith in people. Most of us are good. Put us together into groups waaaaaay smaller than all of humanity, and we get real crazy real fast. And all of us collectively??? I still don't have much faith in us. But I like almost everyone individually and these two sound like they're among the best...

-Ray

TimmyB
11-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Great story, thanks for sharing. Too often I find myself thinking cynically of humanity as a whole based on the publicized rotten apples. It's definitely important to remember the good people out there :beer:

joelh
11-06-2010, 05:11 AM
I am on crutches for several weeks and have been amazed at how nice people in general are to me. Holding doors open, even offering to push my cart in Costco. It does make you feel better about people in general. And it make me more sensitive to giving someone else a bit of a hand when needed.

RPS
11-06-2010, 06:43 AM
Humanity or people? I've never lost faith in people. Most of us are good. Put us together into groups waaaaaay smaller than all of humanity, and we get real crazy real fast. And all of us collectively??? I still don't have much faith in us. But I like almost everyone individually and these two sound like they're among the best...

-Ray
Ray, of all forum members the above sounds so strange coming from you. :confused:

Ray
11-06-2010, 08:38 AM
Ray, of all forum members the above sounds so strange coming from you. :confused:
I guess I haven't expressed myself very well then, because its not a new feeling. I've met VERY few people in my life that I haven't found something to like about, and generally respect as well. I get along with almost everyone and I think that's because I genuinely like almost everyone. But I don't have a lot of faith in what we do collectively, just based on my reading of history. Large groups of people tend to behave badly and treat other large groups of people badly - individuals generally behave well and treat each other well. Maybe that's why I don't particularly like crowds anymore? :cool:

-Ray

130R
11-06-2010, 09:01 AM
what was the point of playing the lottery then?

RPS
11-06-2010, 09:04 AM
I guess I haven't expressed myself very well then, because its not a new feeling.
I think I understood you perfectly the first time. I was just surprised because I perceive you as a strong supporter of collective decision making in lieu of individuals; yet your faith in individuals versus large groups seems to contradict what I would have expected.

It wouldn’t be the first time I read people wrong. :beer:

Lifelover
11-06-2010, 09:07 AM
what was the point of playing the lottery then?

That was my thought. Did they plan to give the money away from jump street?

Cool but a little strange.

93legendti
11-06-2010, 12:54 PM
It's a nice story.

It didn't restore my faith, because I have 100% faith in humanity, as exemplified by the Haiti response, the Chilean Mine Rescue, charitable donors I solicit from on a regular basis, my friends' volunteering stories, my kids' teachers, my family and friends, my neighbors and so many other instances.

No question there are bad seeds, but no one is perfect and I don't expect them to be (that's why Moses is portrayed as a flawed character).