PDA

View Full Version : Ran Across this Paramount

Hawker
11-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Ran across this bike in a smaller frame size. Original owner and the bike is all OEM except the wheels have been replaced with something newer and lighter. Supposedly the bike is pristine and weighs right at 24lbs. Drive train is original 600 series.

He told me this was Asian made and is not a Waterford frame and that it was a limited run. Indeed, I think I've only seen one of these over the years. Not sure about the price but I think around $750.

So..if it fits do I really want it? I'm thinking it may be a fair weather bike/collectors item but compared to my Giant (17lbs) I might not be happy with it as any sort of primary bike. Not to mention the fact that this may be a hard sell with the wife.

Opinions? Will try to include pic here.

http://velospace.org/node/20801#comment-54881

130R
11-04-2010, 08:24 PM
pdg's were made in asia so... they will never be in the same league as a waterford built paramount.

for $750... that's a bit much for a bike with dt shifters. I would not get it.

if you like the bike, and don't mind dt shifting, give it the ride it deserves :)

avalonracing
11-04-2010, 08:30 PM
I'd have to agree, it's overpriced for what it is.

bobswire
11-04-2010, 08:35 PM
I think it's about $350 over priced and the only reason I would put it near $450 because it looks in pristine condition.

Hawker
11-04-2010, 09:48 PM
Regarding the shifters, it has first generation STI, not down tube.

I didn't mean to mislead, it is NOT the bike in the photo but the same model and same paint job in a smaller size in 'Like-new" condidtion. BB and seat post have been replaced with Titanium parts and it is owned by a bike shop owner.

I believe the tubing is Tange Prestige OS, but not sure how that compares to the Waterford built models of '91?

Thanks

PacNW2Ford
11-04-2010, 10:10 PM
'91 Paramount OS's used True Temper oversize tubes, and would be a little lighter than the Tange PDGs.

joelh
11-05-2010, 04:17 AM
Have not ridden an asian paramount and, while they are not as valuable as a waterford built modle, they are supposed to be very nice rides. At $500 I think it would be a decent value.

Peter P.
11-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Tange Prestige was a light gauge tubing, between Columbus SL and SP in weight. It was definitely tubing worthy of european professional racing in its day. The OS designation is for the oversized diameters of the main tubes, which I believe Schwinn was the first manufacturer to use.

The bike is definitely overpriced considering its age and technology, but I feel would lose nothing in performance if the frame were stripped and contemporary parts installed. The complete bike might be worth $350-$450.

sean
11-05-2010, 08:55 PM
In all honesty, PDG's were kinda junky. They were borrowing on the Paramount status. I think bikes Like the Fuji and Nishiki Pro or the Centurion Dave Scott Ironman from the same era are much cheaper and much nicer bikes.

97CSI
11-06-2010, 08:55 AM
Don't agree with most of the posts above. The group-set off the bike will sell for $300-400 for someone wanting to build a 'correct-era' bike with first-gen STIs. The frameset and wheels are worth the $300-350 balance. So not badly over-priced. Especially if is as pristine as stated. However, that does not mean you should not negotiate. Especially in this economy at this time of year. While not a Waterford Paramount, it will provide an excellent real-steel ride.

xjoex
11-06-2010, 12:24 PM
That bike is neat, i had two just like it, I would not spend a dime over $350 for it though. It will quickly become a money pit for you, well it would for me :)

You'll ride it and have fun, then think "Oh with a thompson stem and seatpost it will be much nicer." Then you'll need tubulars...

At least that is what I would/have done.

-Joe

Hawker
11-06-2010, 01:27 PM
I rode it yesterday. It weights exactly 23 lbs and is very nice...I'd say a 9 out of ten. It has a few tiny paint chips and a small dent in the middle of the top tube that I didn't notice for the first ten minutes. Rides very smoothly and I'd love to add it to the stable...if I had a stable and a job right now. I'll probably have to pass it up, but it sure is sweet. By the way, it is a 49cm and can be found on Craigslist Atlanta.

jvp
11-06-2010, 05:32 PM
the craigslist ad reveals it's a dealer (re)selling it, not a private party, hence the too high price.

learlove
11-06-2010, 09:29 PM
By the way, it is a 49cm and can be found on Craigslist Atlanta.

your telling us the bike in the pic (first post) is a 49cm? I think you need to measure again or get a new tape measure.

97CSI
11-07-2010, 06:49 AM
OP states specifically that the one he posted is only to show what the color-scheme is and is not the correct size. Post #5.