PDA

View Full Version : Cable/ hydro disc adapter

spartacus
11-04-2010, 12:24 PM
http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/eurobike-2010-trickstuff-cyclo-cross-disc-brake-converter-27723

I've come across this and I wonder what the forum thinks about the idea?

Has anyone seen anything similar, or a fully hydro set up for road levers?

oldpotatoe
11-04-2010, 03:36 PM
http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/eurobike-2010-trickstuff-cyclo-cross-disc-brake-converter-27723

I've come across this and I wonder what the forum thinks about the idea?

Has anyone seen anything similar, or a fully hydro set up for road levers?

Yikes......

spartacus
11-04-2010, 04:14 PM
Yikes......

OK, and would you want to expand on that? :beer:

dave thompson
11-04-2010, 08:49 PM
Well....at least they're offered in colors.

oldpotatoe
11-05-2010, 06:38 AM
OK, and would you want to expand on that? :beer:

Sure, Is hydraulic discs on a road bike that much of an improvement to warrant this ungainly huge and complicated gadget?

Nope, A $500 answer to a $5 question. How do I stop my road bike quickly, efficiently, safely...how about

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=22338

Again for a typical road bike..not cross bike, not tandem, not touring bike....

spartacus
11-05-2010, 07:12 AM
Well, "gadget" may hint at where you're coming from :beer:

In wet weather disc brakes 'work'...for me. This gadget may not be the answer (I suspect a 'total solution' from the bigger manufacturers within a year), and, how do you know the price is going to be $500? :beer: :beer:

ergott
11-05-2010, 07:17 AM
It's the beginning of the next evolution in cross bikes. It will only get sleeker in design or perhaps integrated into a road lever. Bottom line, cross bikes are getting disc brakes at the pro level which means more options for the rest of us.

oldpotatoe
11-05-2010, 07:25 AM
Well, "gadget" may hint at where you're coming from :beer:

In wet weather disc brakes 'work'...for me. This gadget may not be the answer (I suspect a 'total solution' from the bigger manufacturers within a year), and, how do you know the price is going to be $500? :beer: :beer:

Disc brakes(mechanical) in wet weather is a GREAT idea but this to have hydraulics with this is the very definition of gadget. But if ya like it, go get it, let us know how it works. I won't be selling it tho....

$500 answer to a $5 question was not literal, but symbolic..very complicated answer to a simple question, like so much else 'bike' these days.

spartacus
11-05-2010, 07:36 AM
Disc brakes(mechanical) in wet weather is a GREAT idea but this to have hydraulics with this is the very definition of gadget. But if ya like it, go get it, let us know how it works. I won't be selling it tho....

$500 answer to a $5 question was not literal, but symbolic..very complicated answer to a simple question, like so much else 'bike' these days.

I do have mechanical disc brakes, and the cable stretch is a disappointingly regular adjustment requirement. BB7 is 'OK' but with the UCI change I am hoping for better soon.

Trickstuff do 'try' though. I like their eccentric bb cups for standard dropouts for single speed/ fixed adaptations. I think they deserve some credit. :beer:

Charles M
11-05-2010, 07:49 AM
It's not just cross...

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/10ibike/ib101vol1.jpg
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/10ibike/ib101volfork.jpg

This one is straight cable to disc

There are a couple of other options for cable to hydro, but all are basically different versions of the OP unit. Not sure what's ready for pub and what's not, so no pics, but there are a couple of companies that intend to go disc road.

A few friends that live in very wet places like the Pac NW and or have to change surfaces a lot on their road bikes like the idea. A couple of wheel companies have already ponies up new rims that get to change their structure a little because no brake heat and or force are directed into the sidewall of the rim...

This wont suite some folks and will please others.

Straz
11-05-2010, 08:24 AM
Why not go full hydraulic? Why continue to fight cable stretch? Seems to me the hybrid system would diminish the potential gain of going to a hydraulic caliper.

Tim

oldpotatoe
11-05-2010, 08:40 AM
I do have mechanical disc brakes, and the cable stretch is a disappointingly regular adjustment requirement. BB7 is 'OK' but with the UCI change I am hoping for better soon.

Trickstuff do 'try' though. I like their eccentric bb cups for standard dropouts for single speed/ fixed adaptations. I think they deserve some credit. :beer:

Why do you have 'cable stretch' that requires regular adjustment? This doesn't happen with regular road calipers. Adjustment because pads wear, same with discs but brake cables don't keep stretching and stretching nor does housing compress and compress. At least on the brakes I have set up and on the ones I use.

sg8357
11-05-2010, 08:48 AM
It's not just cross...

Hipsters need all weather braking too.

Drum brakes are making a comeback.

http://www.pashley.co.uk/products/guvnor.html

zap
11-05-2010, 08:54 AM
It's not just cross...

This one is straight cable to disc

Avid needs to further develop their mechanical disc kit. Lighter caliper and dual piston would be nice improvements.

spartacus
11-05-2010, 09:00 AM
Why do you have 'cable stretch' that requires regular adjustment? This doesn't happen with regular road calipers. Adjustment because pads wear, same with discs but brake cables don't keep stretching and stretching nor does housing compress and compress. At least on the brakes I have set up and on the ones I use.

I'm using cross top levers exclusively. Until the new kit comes out I'm staying away from road levers on this particular dirt road bike.

spartacus
11-05-2010, 09:02 AM
Avid needs to further develop their mechanical disc kit. Lighter caliper and dual piston would be nice improvements.

Dual piston would be lovely.

HenryA
11-05-2010, 09:30 AM
The thought of skinny tires on wet road with disks scares me a little. Might just be too much stopping power. Although a purpose made road disk system could be designed to keep that from being a problem.

dogdriver
11-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Wow, leave it up to the Germans. I'm sure that 'ze machining in accurate to 1/1000000 inch, though.

Agreed with the above-- why not retro to a good set of hydros or BB7's (I have 3 sets of bb7's on various bikes, to include a mountain tandem with about 18 feet of cable to the rear, with no signifiant cable stretch issues noticed...). I have do prefer road BB7's to mtb BB7's, even on mtb's, as you get a lot more brake actuation for a given deflection of the lever.

Charles M
11-05-2010, 10:09 AM
A better solution might be machining a stem to act as the master...

hmmm someone might be working on that.

Full hydro doesn't happen without SHRAMPY creating levers with a master inside. Until then it's cable to Hyrdomaster, or full cable.

spartacus
11-05-2010, 10:34 AM
hmmm someone might be working on that.

Teaser. :beer:

spartacus
02-04-2011, 08:06 AM
Have there been any press releases announcing new hydro disc for road products that I've missed this new year?

ald
02-04-2011, 08:31 AM
Years ago there was a cable to hydraulic adapter made by Hope(?)for Santana tandems. As I remember it was for rear wheel only? At least it looked less Rube Goldbergy than that thing, is it really attached with a rubber band? Anyway, the concept was ok but but in execution it didn't work very well.

I agree that with a little more development from Avid, cable actuated disc brakes will work just fine: pistons that actuate the pads from both sides of the rotor, stiffer and lighter alloys in the body of the caliper, and better pad compositions. I'm surprised Shimano has not jumped into this.

spartacus
02-04-2011, 08:55 AM
Years ago there was a cable to hydraulic adapter made by Hope(?)for Santana tandems. As I remember it was for rear wheel only? At least it looked less Rube Goldbergy than that thing, is it really attached with a rubber band? Anyway, the concept was ok but but in execution it didn't work very well.

I agree that with a little more development from Avid, cable actuated disc brakes will work just fine: pistons that actuate the pads from both sides of the rotor, stiffer and lighter alloys in the body of the caliper, and better pad compositions. I'm surprised Shimano has not jumped into this.

Both pads closing on the rotor would be a major improvement.
Swiss Stop make the better pads.
Cables and their stretch need retiring. :beer:

ald
02-04-2011, 09:54 AM
Both pads closing on the rotor would be a major improvement.
Swiss Stop make the better pads.
Cables and their stretch need retiring. :beer:

As Ol' Potatoe said I'm not sure where you are getting cable stretch... If you are using good quality stainless steel cables this should not be an issue. Cheap cables or housing that compresses too much, flex in the stops or flex in the calipers, pads wearing down prematurely, maybe?

The reported benefits of hydraulic brakes are easier to modulate (not sure about that), less effort to actuate the lever, better mechanical advantage, easier / more effective to braking. I would like to see some studies that back up those claims. Until then my preference would be cable over hydraulic for simplicity sake.