PDA

View Full Version : Stans Alpha Rim Twice the Price..Why?

mso
11-03-2010, 12:28 PM
I'm getting really good feedback on the Kinlins it's hard to understand why the Stan Rims are twice the price? I can build both rims the same and save $150.00 on the Kinlins which will weigh 50grms more at 1306. Are the Stans worth the extra $$. More than double the rim costs, not sure why. Most rims seem to be priced within twenty dollars of each other with the exception of the HED Beligum and Stans Alpha. Am I missing something?

torquer
11-03-2010, 01:12 PM
Are the Stans rims tubeless?

Volant
11-03-2010, 01:17 PM
Yes, the Alphas are for tubeless.

mso
11-03-2010, 01:50 PM
You can make them tubeless if you purchase the rim tape but they have spoke holes. So I wouldn't consider them true tubeless rims.

oldpotatoe
11-03-2010, 04:47 PM
I'm getting really good feedback on the Kinlins it's hard to understand why the Stan Rims are twice the price? I can build both rims the same and save $150.00 on the Kinlins which will weigh 50grms more at 1306. Are the Stans worth the extra $$. More than double the rim costs, not sure why. Most rims seem to be priced within twenty dollars of each other with the exception of the HED Beligum and Stans Alpha. Am I missing something?

Both made offshore. Not sure why Stan's are so expensive. Not my first choice tho, Stans, not impressed. Kinlins aren't either but I think they build better than Stans. Really like DT, all of them.

The flatness and roundness of the rim when new has a lot to do with even tension, which makes for a long lasting wheel, if designed well. I get the DT 415, in spite of a few grams, lost in the noise anyway, and have a more reliable wheel, all else being equal.

Chasing a few grams by using a less well made rim(IMO) is not the best course, IMO.