PDA

View Full Version : Just ebayed some wheels to a National Champ!

Wayne77
04-28-2005, 12:26 PM
I had a fun ebay experience last night. I just sold a pair of Reynolds Alta Race wheels I received free with the purchase of my Concours frame from my Serotta dealer. I wanted a different type of wheel so I chose to ebay the Reynolds wheels and go with some Mike Garcia or Speeddream wheels.

Anyway, I was watching the clock tick down and happily enjoying the little bidding war going on in the last 30 seconds. "Come on baby! don't be shy!" "Live a little!" "Don't let that sucker outbid you!!" "That's right..come to Papa..what's another 20 bucks!"...In the last 5 seconds someone with zero feedback jumps in with an excellent bid to win the auction. I was obviously a little wary at first with the zero feedback, but I get an email a few minutes later from a very proud father of the current ladies junior (13/14) National Criterium champion. He tells me these will be her new race wheels!

I get all warm and fuzzy knowing that my wheels will go to such a great cause :D

Maybe I'll send a pic of my new Concours frame to the Father and tell him that he can feel good knowing that his purchase will help finance such a good cause! :D

BURCH
04-28-2005, 12:48 PM
pretty cool.

dgauthier
04-28-2005, 01:28 PM
(. . . ) I was obviously a little wary at first (. . .) but I get an email a few minutes later (. . .) I get all warm and fuzzy (. . .)

It sounds like a nice sale, provided your buyer is legit. He certainly managed to get you to drop your guard.

I'm not saying your buyer *isn't* legitimate. I'm just saying you should continue to be wary, and look out for number 1. Good luck!

Wayne77
04-28-2005, 02:40 PM
It sounds like a nice sale, provided your buyer is legit. He certainly managed to get you to drop your guard.

I'm not saying your buyer *isn't* legitimate. I'm just saying you should continue to be wary, and look out for number 1. Good luck!

Yeah, you never know with ebay...

In this case I am quite certain it is legit, since the seller has already paid, I've already had some pleasant email conversations with him about his daughter's racing career & some local rides he is familiar with, and a family snapshot of his pride and joy on the podium.

One hears all the ebay horror stories, but there really is a nice community of ebayers out there wanting to do good, honest business...
:beer:

Tony Edwards
04-28-2005, 02:49 PM
Come to think of it, I once bought some wheels off the VeloNews classified ads that turned out to belong to Jonas Carney - they were built for the Coors Light team as training wheels, and I still use them.

SoCalSteve
04-28-2005, 11:43 PM
You know, for every 100,000 great ebay transactions there is 1 or 2 bad ones. We never think about the MILLIONS of great ones that have taken place over the nearly 10 years that ebay has been in existence. We only hear about the bad...

Just a thought, dont know if its a good one...

Steve