PDA

View Full Version : Go organic with Brooks

rwsaunders
11-03-2010, 06:14 AM
Perhaps AC should have eaten the Brooks beef...

Brooks' latest Select range of leather saddles is designed to appeal to the hardcore – but not vegan for obvious reasons – environmentalist, with certified organic hides sourced from Sweden and vegetable-based tanning compounds. Brooks' new Select range of saddles uses leather from organically raised Swedish cattle and vegetable-based tanning agents.

However, Brooks' marketing spokesperson Suzette Ayotte says buyers interested in the Select saddles should bear in mind that the more environmentally friendly manufacturing does yield a much harder saddle than usual, with a feel similar to the company's older models before they began pre-softening them. As such, Select riders should expect to take more time to break their saddles in, but on the upside, they should retain their desired shape and feel longer.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/plenty-of-new-saddle-options-for-2011-28312

fourflys
11-03-2010, 08:46 AM
I don't really care if the cow my saddle came from was able to roam freely across the country side and didn't have anti-biotics... I'm putting my butt on it... ;)

Chris, owner of 3 Brooks non-organic saddles... yea, I'm a basterd..

dave thompson
11-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Great, A longer break-in for these organic Brooks. At my age, when the saddle is broken in, I'll be dead!

fiamme red
11-03-2010, 10:16 AM
A longer break-in period would be a good thing for the Swallow, which breaks in (or rather, breaks down) too quickly.

How much do you think a Limited Edition Titanium Organic Swallow would cost? :eek:

Lovetoclimb
11-03-2010, 11:53 AM
Finally I can have my Vans match my Brooks! Bonus embossed skull patterns too! #Radstoked

dave thompson
11-03-2010, 07:56 PM
Did you all notice the *significant* price decrease at WallBike?

sherok
11-04-2010, 05:30 AM
Interesting, I'm not sure what the benefits of sitting on an organic saddle are? I guess the good thing is I won't have to worry about growth hormones filtering through the saddle and absorbing into the skin of my butt.

Karin Kirk
11-04-2010, 08:34 AM
The advantage is that you are supporting a healthier environment and you can vote with your dollars that you are not a fan of industrial agricultural practices and the miserable conditions that many cattle are subjected to. :)

djg
11-04-2010, 10:18 AM
Interesting, I'm not sure what the benefits of sitting on an organic saddle are? I guess the good thing is I won't have to worry about growth hormones filtering through the saddle and absorbing into the skin of my butt.

Nothing. At the margin, you're supporting a preferred livestock practice and cleaner processing.

OTOH, it's hard to imagine that this is "greener" than a synthetic, not because synthetics are necessarily wonderful (or all created equal), but because raising cows and processing them are costly and messy.

Contra both of the above: it's a pretty small product market either way.