PDA

View Full Version : OT: Serotta-like forums for alpine skiing?

sfscott
11-02-2010, 11:16 PM
I've been searching for a community similar to this one for alpine skiing--particularly one with good gear knowledge and a minimum of yahoos talking smack.

Has anyone seen one or know of one?

mgm777
11-02-2010, 11:34 PM
www.epicski.com
www.tetongravity.com

These should keep you busy for awhile.

witcombusa
11-03-2010, 04:11 AM
www.epicski.com
www.tetongravity.com

These should keep you busy for awhile.

Well, Epicski anyway....

as for tgr..... :crap: :no:

tele
11-03-2010, 04:56 AM
yeah, tgr has a bunch of punks and yahoos.

if you need something different and want to lose your training heels, :D , come on over to telemarktips.com!!

Kevin

csm
11-06-2010, 07:41 AM
I've got a pair of Lines that I am gonna put tele bindings on to give it a whirl.

dogdriver
11-06-2010, 07:45 AM
yeah, tgr has a bunch of punks and yahoos.

if you need something different and want to lose your training heels, :D , come on over to telemarktips.com!!

Kevin

Randonne: French for "Can't telemark".

djg
11-06-2010, 07:55 AM

Kids can be so mean.

Eff that. I grew up in upstate NY. We kept our edges sharp because that's what the blue ice told us to do and the high school team wasn't giving rides and tickets to people who wanted to find the soft ice in the trees on cross country skis.

And now I'm fiddy and not sure about kneeling quite so many times in a day.

But those sites aren't for me anyway. Maybe 6-8 days in southern PA. One four day trip to SLC with a pal from olden times, as I'm allowed each year. And another four day trip somewhere out west with the kids, where I'm grabbing 2 or 3 daddy runs in a day. This is the life we have chosen.

dogdriver
11-06-2010, 08:07 AM
Kids can be so mean.

Eff that. I grew up in upstate NY. We kept our edges sharp because that's what the blue ice told us to do and the high school team wasn't giving rides and tickets to people who wanted to find the soft ice in the trees on cross country skis.

And now I'm fiddy and not sure about kneeling quite so many times in a day.

But those sites aren't for me anyway. Maybe 6-8 days in southern PA. One four day trip to SLC with a pal from olden times, as I'm allowed each year. And another four day trip somewhere out west with the kids, where I'm grabbing 2 or 3 daddy runs in a day. This is the life we have chosen.

Did I mention that I don't telemark any more (or never did it well)?

Agreed that people can get SO self-righteous regarding the ideological purity of their recreational pursuits.

You'd laugh your tuckus off at my touring setup-- Atomic Snoop Daddys, Alpine boots and binding, Alpine Trekker binding adapters. I figure about 15 pounds per foot-- but its a secure setup and insures a good workout going up hill.

I think that the Rando dig was a K2 bumper sticker...

tele
11-06-2010, 11:39 AM
K2 had some good stickers. My favorite was "if it was easy they would call it snowboarding." Priceless.

I get called all sorts of names especially when I can't keep up with some 50 year olds. It is even worse in my weekly racep league, I get a handicap for bending a knee.

as far as tele technique, It doesn't matter how you do it, as long as you enjoy it. After more than a decade of free healing I am still learning and refining.

Kevin

Karin Kirk
11-06-2010, 11:54 AM
as far as tele technique, It doesn't matter how you do it, as long as you enjoy it. After more than a decade of free healing I am still learning and refining.

That is a priceless typo, particularly given the context. :)

I agree 100% that the hair-splitting of one binding system over another is a bit ridiculous. The key thing is just getting out there and having a great time.

BTW, epicski is good stuff. There are some seriously knowledgeable folks there (some are colleagues) and their on-snow ski camps are top shelf.

One cautionary note about ski forums - skiing is a technique-dependent sport, much more so than cycling, so some of the discussions can get into some serious minutia and misunderstanding. Sort of like getting a bike fit via the forum, some things are really best addressed in person, on the snow.

tele
11-07-2010, 06:34 AM
i forget a lot of sites because i dont go to them in the warmer months, but now they are all coming back to me....

www.firsttracksonline.com really good trip reports from the world. i've skied with the guy Marc who runs it and he is a good guy, even after he moved out the land of zion. :)

on a different note, check out www.famousinternetskiers.com
for some amazing stuff. the guys who run this site are very very funny, in a tgr way, but their weather is kick ass accurate and they ski some gnarly **** dude. :D

kevin

djg21
11-07-2010, 10:21 AM
I've been searching for a community similar to this one for alpine skiing--particularly one with good gear knowledge and a minimum of yahoos talking smack.

Has anyone seen one or know of one?

Try http://forums.alpinezone.com/
And, if you are in the 'Daks, look at http://forums.skiadk.com/
The Mad River valley: http://forums.skimrv.com/forum-5.html

Finally, if you lose the training bindings, there is http://www.telemarktips.com/index.htm and
http://telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=1

djg21
11-07-2010, 10:22 AM

That what I get for not reading the whole thread. You beat me to it