PDA

View Full Version : Fizik Antares Q

RADaines
11-02-2010, 08:22 AM
Is anyone using this saddle in anyway other than level back to front? If not level, how and what difference did the angle make? Thanks.

oldpotatoe
11-02-2010, 08:26 AM
Is anyone using this saddle in anyway other than level back to front? If not level, how and what difference did the angle make? Thanks.

When we set it up we make it level, front to back. Why not try one at a level not level? Most decent bike shops have a try and/or swap/return policy, I do.

rice rocket
11-02-2010, 08:33 AM
I tried it in multiple positions, didn't fit me either way.

I tip the nose of my Aliante down a smidge, helped my perineal pain. Same w/ the Arione. I'm tempted to try their new saddles w/ the channel.

John H.
11-02-2010, 10:06 AM
Also interested if anyone is using either versus model antares or wingflex antares.
Does it make saddle more comfy after a couple hours?
I liked the Antares out the door- but did not like after 2 hours.

oldpotatoe
11-02-2010, 12:05 PM
Also interested if anyone is using either versus model antares or wingflex antares.
Does it make saddle more comfy after a couple hours?
I liked the Antares out the door- but did not like after 2 hours.

Well, since everybody's butt is different, I don't think you can get accurate advice. Try one, and then you will know. The guy that works for me raves about an Aliente, I can't stand it...nor a Brooks, tried that 3 times.

stephenmarklay
11-02-2010, 12:41 PM
I have mine level but am going to experiment with it tipped down ever so slightly. I find fine level but in a racing position I get a little pressure up front when I want to be over the BB a bit more. I am fine if I slide back a tad but I want to be more forward occasionally.

I will try tomorrow and let you know.

ahumblecycler
11-02-2010, 01:01 PM
I liked the Antares except for extended periods in the drops. Based on SoCalSteve's quick review (do a search), I picked a Versus.

After a quick ride last night, I switched out my Aliante Versus (likely up for sale ... PM me) for the Antares Versus. I noticed the channel while in the drops but only went around the block to assess positioning.

For the record, I always use a -1 to -2 degree nose tilt. I do this to ensure power rotation in my hip flexor regions and because I spend a lot of time in drops.

rice rocket
11-02-2010, 04:50 PM
I noticed the channel while in the drops but only went around the block to assess positioning.
So was it a "good" noticed the channel? Or a bad?

I like the Antares for a few miles as well, I felt much more power out of the saddle than my Aliante, if that makes any sense.

rustychisel
11-02-2010, 05:14 PM
Have switched from Arione to Antares, errrrm, it might not be a keeper. The Antares is flat and hard and it seems logical to set it up dead flat (flat out like a lizard drinking, as my old gran used to say).

At present I have it tilted nose up by a whisker, possibly a degree, and that seems to soften the blow a little.

All I can really say is that in my experience all FiZik saddles are extremely sensitive to angle of attack and they take a bit of experimentation (and possibly luck).

rice rocket
11-02-2010, 06:06 PM
I heard the Antares needs some break-in time?

CliveDS
11-02-2010, 06:58 PM

I have been using it nose up "very slight" and found this best. On my blog I did a comparative review of the Arione, Antares and Aliante and briefly went into saddle tilt on the three models.

Yes the Antares does wear in after some time. It starts out flat but after quite a few miles develops a banana like hammock. The problem here is if you ride a lot to the front of the saddle it connects with the rails and bottoms out.

Great saddle for a rider who rides in the hoods rather upright and toward the back of the saddle.

ahumblecycler
11-02-2010, 08:29 PM
So was it a "good" noticed the channel? Or a bad?

I like the Antares for a few miles as well, I felt much more power out of the saddle than my Aliante, if that makes any sense.

It's a good thing. I went out for another 35 miles, still trying to find my cycling fit after so much time off the bike, and I spent some time increasing post height (remember I switched out from Aliante Versus). I found it by the end, and I also noticed I need to tilt the nose down another .5-degree or so.

Glory Cycles blog noted the rider found the Antares comfortable after a slight tilt down. I myself always tilt down as noted above.

djg21
11-02-2010, 08:35 PM
If anyone wants to swap their antares for my black arione with k'ium rails (that has been used only n the house on my dedicated trainer bike), I'd love to hear from you! I like both saddles, but my TT bike and my road bike are equipped with the ares and antares respectively, and I really like the wide base!

rice rocket
11-02-2010, 09:05 PM
It's a good thing. I went out for another 35 miles, still trying to find my cycling fit after so much time off the bike, and I spent some time increasing post height (remember I switched out from Aliante Versus). I found it by the end, and I also noticed I need to tilt the nose down another .5-degree or so.

Glory Cycles blog noted the rider found the Antares comfortable after a slight tilt down. I myself always tilt down as noted above.
Is the rails-to-saddle height on the Antares less than that of the Aliante? The Aliante foam has some squish to it, which would change it's effective height.

I have an integrated seatpost on my new frame, I should probably leave myself some adjustability for different saddles.

ahumblecycler
11-03-2010, 06:50 AM
@RR - the Antares is lower profile and firmer padding, both of which add to my need to increase post height. On top of that, the Antares is flat so I do not have to compromise height like I did on the Aliante with its curvy profile.

All saddles are a bit different, and for me at least, provides another reason to stay away from ISP set ups. Plus, I do not need the additional stiffness an ISP provides.

ahumblecycler
11-04-2010, 07:14 AM
Cycled yesterday 42.5 miles with 18 miles against NW 20mph wind with gusts over 30mph. Note my bib shorts are Giordana Forma Red Carbon (thin pad).

I think I found the sweet spot and set up although I am debating raising it another 2 or so mm. Regardless, I was happy with the performance. I tilted the nose downward by 1.8 degrees.

Set up was tricky, and I will offer up some recommendations:
1. Be patient;
2. Take along tools;
3. Expect to increase your set back;
4. Buck the trend of flat or upward tilt; and
5. Don't be afraid to increase post height above what you have thought to be your norm in the past.