PDA

View Full Version : two reasons to go to the open house

flydhest
04-28-2005, 06:57 AM
First, I won't be at the open house, so that automatically makes it more attractive.

Second, I have it on expert authority that Davis Phinney will be there. For those of you who haven't met him, he is one hell of a guy. He has tons of great stories, is a wonderful person, and is always excited to pass on what he knows to others.

Smiley
04-28-2005, 07:53 AM
Fly won't be there but we'll miss the Doc more .
AhneidaRide Man will be there
Boston Drunk and Munson maybe there
Pete will be buying Red wine and hoepfully no Pinot Noir ( if you've seen the movie )
I will be there with my wife pulling all you sad wheel suckers along on the rolling sections up to Spiers Falls , yeah we'll be on the tandem and it will be fast . Serotta Steve will make you all wait for us and Sandy at the bottom of the Mountain .
Lets not forget that Sandy will be there along with Mrs Sandy and I will be bringing Rapid Tourist with us in the Team Van :banana:
Mrs Doc Fly , you can ride up with us and ditch the Fly back home to baby sit Lucy :banana:

Kevin
04-28-2005, 08:00 AM
I'll be there.

Kevin

Bruce K
04-28-2005, 08:19 AM
I'll be there.

Bill Bove will not.

I am waiting to hear if William wants the other half of my room at the "Bates Motel".

If he doesn't, I might have to hold an auction for the DPF (just kidding). Actually, if William is all set, I will offer it to the first forum member who needs a bed.

BK

Smiley
04-28-2005, 08:24 AM
did BeeMan and Bradford get a room at the Bates ?

Climb01742
04-28-2005, 08:26 AM
fly, are you and mr greenspan weekending on the vineyard those dates? ;)

Smiley
04-28-2005, 08:40 AM
Climb , please don't mess with Al and Fly , my Stock funds can't take it . If I will ever be able to buy my Ottrott my JDS Uniphase stock has a long way to RISE . Please "serinity now" when it comes to the Big Fella and his assistant Fly .

Bradford
04-28-2005, 08:45 AM
did BeeMan and Bradford get a room at the Bates ?

BeeMan missed out on the Bates, but came through with an "apartment style" room next door.

To be honest with you, I'm a little scared. Who knows where he really booked us. If I hear dueling bangos, I'm heading over to Bruce K's extra bed!

Climb01742
04-28-2005, 08:52 AM
smiley, the fact that my retirement is, in part, in fly's hands scares the bejesus out of me. fly, you do some work, don't you? you don't waste all your time here, do you? ;)

BumbleBeeDave
04-28-2005, 08:58 AM
. . . I wanna hear you squeal like a pig! ;) :rolleyes: :beer: :banana:

We are at the St. Francis right next door with an extra large ground floor suite which I believe will turn into "Party Central" . . . but don't tell the motel manager that! :rolleyes:

BBDave

Ahneida Ride
04-28-2005, 09:59 AM
Fly man.

I'll miss ya. !!!!!!! and the Dr. even more !!!

Take Care ...

Sandy
04-28-2005, 10:10 AM
Fly works for the government. That means that 50% of the time they are required to work, 20% of the time they are allowed to eat and take personal breaks, and 40% of the time they go on government expense paid trips. The time on these paid trips is spent trying to figure out why the time does not add up to 100%. :banana: :banana:

50 + 20 + 40 = ??

Stastician Sandy

Sandy
04-28-2005, 10:14 AM
I'll miss Fly too. I'll miss wondering where did he possibly go and how did he disappear that fast. :) :)

Sometimes Slow Sometimes Speedy STill Serotta Sandy

PanTerra
04-28-2005, 10:14 AM
Is that what is meant by giving 110%? :p

Sandy
04-28-2005, 10:26 AM
Close. The government bills us for 125% of what we have. We hire a lawyer and pay him or her 5% of what we have, and settle with the government and give 105% of what we have. The 110% is the sum of the 105% and the 5%.

So giving 110% means giving everything you have plus a little more (the 10%).

There are exceptions to the rule above. Some of the rich and dishonest corporate officers of some companies, take about 50% of what belongs to us and pays the government 2% of what they have. If they are found out, they declare bankruptcy, pay out $50,000,000 in fines, get suspended jail time, and try to live on the meager $ 500,000,000 that they have left.

Blame the Fly man for most of this!! :) :) :D

Sad Sandy

Sandy
04-28-2005, 10:52 AM
You mentioned that Davis Phinney will be there. I am somewhat amazed that Serotta does not make useage of the assets that they have in developing a much more marketable weekend. I started a thread several months ago and gave what I thought were excellent suggestions as to how to make the Serotta weekend much more successful. To have Kelly Bedford give a talk on bicycle design, Ben Serotta give a talk on innovations and direction of the bicycle industry, Davis Phinney to lead a discussion on his experiences as a pro and former Tour stage winner, Connie Carpenter Phinney (Spelling?) lead a discussion on women cycling and racing, have a team sponored pro discuss racing today, have someone like Tom Kellogg or Richard Sachs or Dave Kirk discuss designing and building bicycles ( None of these builders are a threat to Serotta or vice-versa and each are articulate and project a professional level of giving content), have workshops in racing techniques, safe group riding and cycling techniques, pedal stoke, Serotta fit methodology,....

Just think about a discussion group with Ben Serotta, Kelly Bedford, Davis Phinney, Connie Carpenter Phinney, Tom Kellog, Dave Kirk, Richard Sachs, Serotta Sandy (ok forget Serotta Sandy),..... What a draw that could be. But it is too late now to plan it. I could have sold tickets and become a rich man. Actually, proceeds could go to the Davis Phinney Foundation.

I really don't get it. But then, I don't get lot of things.

Serotta Sandy

flydhest
04-28-2005, 11:01 AM
First off, it's lunch time, so no wise cracks. Anyone who would like, I can call or send e-mail to them at 9 or 10:00 tonight--when I'll be in my office--or this weekend--when I'll also be in my office. Back when I was a professor, I used to say the greatest benefit of the lifestyle was that I could choose which 60 hours per week I worked.

Seriously, though, inasmuch as I will be teaching a class at Duke in June, going to two weddings in Cali in June, and presenting research at a conference in San Fran in early July, somehow, it just didn't seem like making it to the open house was in the cards.

Sandy, the news is fresh off the presses this morning and Serotta hasn't had time to make it more marketable. You've been to the open house. It's laid back and fun. Why be amazed that they haven't gone through lots of cost and effort to make it more elaborate when some people have balked at the nominal cost as it is.

It's just about going up, having a good time, haning out, and seeing the factory.

I reiterate my suggestion to everyone to go and meet Davis. (I don't know that Connie--my distant cousin (inside joke, she's too good looking to be related to me)--will be there.)

Ozz
04-28-2005, 11:11 AM
...Lets not forget that Sandy will be there along with Mrs Sandy...

"Mrs Sandy"????

I thought "Kevan" was "Mrs Sandy"??

so confused....... :confused:

Sandy
04-28-2005, 11:11 AM
It's all about planning. I really think that if Serotta tried, their exposure would be dramatically greater, and almost no one would question the charges. It could be done on piecemeal (spelling?) basis. I don't think that the costs would increase that much relative to the exposure and gain to be made. Those that found any charges to be too much could be given a substantial break. But that is all in the details. Serotta would first want to do it. I am sure that some Serotta Forum maniacs would certainly be willing to help do the planning.

Did you just say that your lunch lasts until June? Is that the beginning or end of June. :)

June Bug Sandy

CNY rider
04-28-2005, 11:46 AM
I'm already excited about going to my first Open House as an owner. Your ideas are wonderful , and very exciting, but I wonder just how far the folks at Serotta want this to go.

It's kind of analogous to what happens when I start building something in my yard, say a new garden. It starts with a nice simple idea, maybe a 4 foot flower garden for my wife. Then I start thinking how good a rock wall would look there, and oh well maybe I can bring in a backhoe and rearrange the terrain some.............. Next thing you know I have a huge project on my hands, and, most importantly it goes from being fun to being a major task that I don't have the time or desire to complete.

Just my 2 cents.

Bruce K
04-28-2005, 12:02 PM
I glad to hear that Davis will be "returning" to Saratoga.

He was at the factory Grand Opening bash and, as I believe I have said before, I had a chance to chat with him again at the Ride for the Roses.

He is a gentleman, an enthusiast, and a good guy. As a result of the contact I have been fund-raising for teh Sunflower Revolution and plan to be in Cincinnati in August to participate in the event.

2 things to remember for Open House:

1. K.I.S.S. :rolleyes:
2. Don't hog all the Serotta Beer and BBQ :banana:

BK

Smiley
04-28-2005, 12:16 PM
And Don't press the speed of the Peleton or Serotta Steve will reign you in :banana:

BumbleBeeDave
04-28-2005, 01:17 PM
<<Next thing you know I have a huge project on my hands, and, most importantly it goes from being fun to being a major task that I don't have the time or desire to complete.>>

Boy, YOU said it! I'm on the local MS Bike Tour committee and this happens to us every year!

Sandy, I think your ideas are great, but things like this quickly spiral out of control once things start getting added on. But you don't really need a program to get a conversation going. Just get all the people you suggested together and sit down. I'm sure they'd like to talk about it.

BBDave

Tom
04-28-2005, 01:25 PM
But you don't really need a program to get a conversation going. Just get all the people you suggested together and sit down. I'm sure they'd like to talk about it.

BBDave

If I remember right, they had an enormous stack of Sierra Nevada 6-packs under the table there. That should take care of it.

Climb01742
04-28-2005, 01:54 PM
hey, fly, you know i was just kidding, right? ;)

Bruce K
04-28-2005, 02:18 PM
Has "The Big Race" been cancelled? :confused:

BK

OldDog
04-28-2005, 02:34 PM
I'm already excited about going to my first Open House as an owner. .

I'm excited about my first open house, but not as an owner....I'm scared silly that I will demo an Otrott and love it, then sell off all my campy equiped lugged steel bikes and order a DA 10 Otrott. This could be a major life changing event.

I'm counting on my steel brethern to keep me under control :D

Serotta_James
04-28-2005, 02:45 PM
No tandems!!!!

Ozz
04-28-2005, 02:46 PM
I'm excited about my first open house, but not as an owner....I'm scared silly that I will demo an Otrott and love it, then sell off all my campy equiped lugged steel bikes and order a DA 10 Otrott. This could be a major life changing event.

I'm counting on my steel brethern to keep me under control :D

As long as you don't get "cold feet" at the last minute you should be OK! ;)

Your pal in steel,

Ozz

Bradford
04-28-2005, 02:53 PM
No tandems!!!!

No worries here, sheriff. I asked my wife if she wanted to come along and bring the tandem and she said it was ok for me to go alone and "play bikes" with my forum friends. :banana:

OldDog
04-28-2005, 02:54 PM
Thanks Ozz! I'll bring my battery powered heated socks (black wool of course).

I'll add though, a few years back my sweetie bought me a Sachs for our anniversary and I will never part with that. In 20 years I'll get e-ritchie to rebuild it into a more upright frameset for my stiffining back! Think I need to get on the list now? :D

Smiley
04-28-2005, 02:56 PM
Smiley...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No tandems!!!!

Too late Serotta James , what you been talking to Steve and Jayson ? They had fun last year keeping the peleton under control . I think we'll leave a nice comfy spot for you behind our rear panniers , I got a carbon fibre bungee to clip to that F3 fork of yours :)

Sandy
04-28-2005, 05:38 PM
As I remember last year, the Smiley Team Teriffic Tandem did very well. It was a few of the singles that decided to ride on the wrong side of the road. Besides, I need a tandem to ride with so that I will not be buried on a long climb. On the way down is fine, but not on the way up.

Are motorcycles allowed??? :) :) Motorcycles with a side car (for Kevan)??

Harley D. Sandy

M_A_Martin
04-28-2005, 06:51 PM
Gee Smiley...it *is* a Serotta tandem isn't it?

BumbleBeeDave
04-28-2005, 08:13 PM
. . . ever got “out” of control last year. If anyone gave a safety talk and laid down ground rules, I must have missed it. The only problem I saw with the tandems was that they were pretty fast--but that ceased to be a problem as soon as we went up Spier Falls hill . . . heh, heh! :cool:

Personally, I will agitate for West Mountain Road this year. The tandems--and Sandy--and everyone else, will vanish very quickly! BWA-HA-HA-HA!!!

BBDave

Sandy
04-28-2005, 08:42 PM
Yes. On the way up the mountain or hill, you will indeed crush the tandem and poor Sandy. But on the way down, the tandem and Sandy will reappear, getting larger and larger until thump (the tandem) and thump again (Sandy) roll over your sorry little butt. BWA- HA-HA HA!!!! :) :D

:) Smiling Sandy and Smiling Smiley :)

BumbleBeeDave
04-28-2005, 09:19 PM
, , , my butt is neither sorry nor little. I know this to be true because I have been called a giant @ss so many times! :rolleyes:

BBDave (Big Butt Dave!)

William
04-29-2005, 05:54 AM
I'll be there.

Bill Bove will not.

I am waiting to hear if William wants the other half of my room at the "Bates Motel".

If he doesn't, I might have to hold an auction for the DPF (just kidding). Actually, if William is all set, I will offer it to the first forum member who needs a bed.

BK

Bruce, thank you very much for thinking of me. I have accommodations at the place of a very large and well known forum member. He's an ex-professional Boxer, fortune 500 corporate CEO, Kimono Dragon breeder, botanist, Neuro surgeon, master brewer, and rocket hobbyist.
In addition to riding with the other distinguished forum members, we will be working on a school for Origami by planning the take over of a number of boutique frame builders and turning their factories into Emergency Surgery reptile and botany hospitals specializing in post recovery procedures that involve alcohol and high altitude healing practices. All this in between rounds of sparring.

But thank you again for thinking of me. :)

William ;) :rolleyes: :)

Kevin
04-29-2005, 05:57 AM
Yes. On the way up the mountain or hill, you will indeed crush the tandem and poor Sandy. But on the way down, the tandem and Sandy will reappear, getting larger and larger until thump (the tandem) and thump again (Sandy) roll over your sorry little butt. BWA- HA-HA HA!!!! :) :D

:) Smiling Sandy and Smiling Smiley :)

, , , my butt is neither sorry nor little. I know this to be true because I have been called a giant @ss so many times! :rolleyes:

BBDave (Big Butt Dave!)

Help I am blind. I have this image of Sandy thumping BBDave's giant @ss. Medic!

Kevin

Sandy
04-29-2005, 06:07 AM
How about 2 medics. I think that I need one too! :)

Sandy

BumbleBeeDave
04-29-2005, 06:36 AM
. . . that you two guys have such, uh, “active” imaginations. Remind me to always ride behind you where I can keep an eye on you. :rolleyes:

BTW, hope we get to ride by Betty Beaver’s for another rest stop! :eek:

BBDave

Tom
04-29-2005, 07:26 AM
. . . Remind me to always ride behind you ...
BBDave

You normally don't need a reminder. Ho ho!

Kevin
04-29-2005, 07:33 AM
. . . that you two guys have such, uh, “active” imaginations.
BBDave

I have been with the same woman for 22 years, the only thing that is active is my imagination. :crap:

Kevin