PDA

View Full Version : Were there ever silver Campy Protons?

akelman
11-01-2010, 11:10 PM
The title says it all: I'm curious if Campy ever made Protons in silver. Thanks.

sw3759
11-02-2010, 05:31 AM
i'm pretty certain thats a "YES" see post below. :)

post edited...i certainly didn't remember those.thanks for the link

Scott

oldpotatoe
11-02-2010, 06:50 AM
The title says it all: I'm curious if Campy ever made Protons in silver. Thanks.

Yes, first year, 1998, the infamous 1 cross rears that broke spokes alarmingly frequently. 1999 they were black and 2 cross rears. If ya had a one cross(in 1998 or so), send them to Campagnolo, NA and they would rebuold to 2 cross for free.

akelman
11-03-2010, 12:57 AM
Thanks, oldpotatoe. That's really helpful. There's a pair up on eBay right now, and I was curious to know if they were labeled correctly. It sounds like they are but also like they're worth avoiding. That's too bad, as I could use a reliable set of silver Campy wheels for a back-up.

akelman
11-03-2010, 12:58 AM
Here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110605925614&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT) they are, by the way, in case someone is interested.

oldpotatoe
11-03-2010, 06:55 AM
Thanks, oldpotatoe. That's really helpful. There's a pair up on eBay right now, and I was curious to know if they were labeled correctly. It sounds like they are but also like they're worth avoiding. That's too bad, as I could use a reliable set of silver Campy wheels for a back-up.

Miche hubs laced to say DT 450, DT Comp spokes...not $99 but a nice 'backup' wheelset. I can build you these...

DY123
11-03-2010, 09:33 AM
What are Miche road hubs like?

It really sucks that Campagnolo doesn't make silver hubs anymore. I'm looking for a reasonable alternative to make silver hubbed wheels.

oldpotatoe
11-03-2010, 11:49 AM
What are Miche road hubs like?

It really sucks that Campagnolo doesn't make silver hubs anymore. I'm looking for a reasonable alternative to make silver hubbed wheels.

Very nice, Miche. Smooth, cart bearings with adjust plates, ala Campagnolo. Well made, kinda gaudy, decal wise but I like 'em. Have built about 6 pairs.

Velocity hubs are nice also...but teeny bearings front.

buldogge
11-03-2010, 02:13 PM
Hey op...Have you ever tried removing the graphics from the Miche hubs (without harming the finish of course)???

-Mark in St. Louis

Very nice, Miche. Smooth, cart bearings with adjust plates, ala Campagnolo. Well made, kinda gaudy, decal wise but I like 'em. Have built about 6 pairs.

Velocity hubs are nice also...but teeny bearings front.

oldpotatoe
11-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Hey op...Have you ever tried removing the graphics from the Miche hubs (without harming the finish of course)???

-Mark in St. Louis

No. I can't feel a edge to the 'stickers' so I don't think ya can.

buldogge
11-03-2010, 06:58 PM
I'm sure they're silkscreened on and then clear coated...

Probably have to take the shells down to bare and completely polish them. Silver ones only obviously...

No. I can't feel a edge to the 'stickers' so I don't think ya can.