PDA

View Full Version : Pinarello - where's the love?

tv_vt
11-01-2010, 02:25 PM
I don't see much in the Forum about Pinarello bikes. Why is that? No one riding them is the obvious answer. But curious, nonetheless. I'm intrigued by their geometry - they have taller headtubes than a lot of stock geo bikes out there these days, and seem to have a good rep as far as ride quality.

In my size (60cm), I would define taller headtube as 205mm and over for integrated headtubes, and more than 190 in non-integrated. My Fierte IT, for example, has 213mm non-integrated headtube and I run 20mm of spacers and an 82* stem.

Any experience with their frames, carbon, steel, or aluminum?

Thanks,

Thom

buldogge
11-01-2010, 02:47 PM
I know it's not what you are alluding to...but...I LOVE my '89 Treviso!

Classic Italian steel (Columbus SL), 59cm ST and 57cm TT (c-c) with a 18cm head tube if I remember correctly...so...seems like their head tube geos have been that way for awhile.

FWIW

-Mark in St. Louis

AndrewS
11-01-2010, 02:55 PM
The Dogma seems to be well regarded.

I don't get the feeling that the people on this forum ride much foreign anything, if I had to summarize. I don't have a Serotta, but all my name brand bikes are domestic, for instance. Maybe that explains it.

JMerring
11-01-2010, 03:19 PM
The Dogma seems to be well regarded.

I don't get the feeling that the people on this forum ride much foreign anything, if I had to summarize. I don't have a Serotta, but all my name brand bikes are domestic, for instance. Maybe that explains it.

na. i have foreign and lust after foreign (in addition to lusting after a sachs). i have no interest of any kind in pinarello. not saying that they're not good, but in my mind they just conjure up something along the lines of "italian-in-name-only-producing-asian-made-carbon-fiber-that-looks-cute-but-that's-all". ymmv.

i do ride with a guy who has a magnesium dogma (?) and loves it. it cracked and was replaced by pinarella gratis.

false_Aest
11-01-2010, 03:40 PM
modern aesthetics.

doesn't seem to fit with what most of the forumites like.

how many times have we heard "classy" and "classic" and "class" used?

TMB
11-01-2010, 03:48 PM
As long as I have been riding Pinarello have had a reputation for being " quick", which to me means a little squirrely in the front end.

Lots of people like that, I don't. So I've never been much on Pins.

These days - I see Pins as being another in a long line of euro bike cos trading on their history and buying their frames from the far east.

From all reports the bikes are nice. Ride like a Pin. Hold no appeal to me at all.

rice rocket
11-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Two of the people I ride with have one, an FP3:13 and an FP4:13.

I personally dislike their "Onda" forks and seat stays (aesthetically, haven't ridden one).

TMB
11-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Two of the people I ride with have one, an FP3:13 and an FP4:13.

I personally dislike their "Onda" forks and seat stays (aesthetically, haven't ridden one).

Yeah, there's those too.

flydhest
11-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Used to lust after them when Banesto rode them and Big Mig was winning the Tour. Total hero worship. I was late teens, early 20s and at 6'2" it was easy to want to be like Mig. Gave us big guys hope.

TMB
11-01-2010, 04:03 PM
Used to lust after them when Banesto rode them and Big Mig was winning the Tour. Total hero worship. I was late teens, early 20s and at 6'2" it was easy to want to be like Mig. Gave us big guys hope.

And yet the funny thing is that Indurain's bike wasn't a Pinarello.

StellaBlue
11-01-2010, 04:21 PM
I have one of their cheaper ones from a few years back. Excellent frame for the money. I would love to have a Paris Carbon..

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/6271/dscn3228w.jpg (http://img827.imageshack.us/i/dscn3228w.jpg/)

pascii
11-01-2010, 04:55 PM
I have a 93 Pinarello cross bike and it is magical. It was re-sprayed so I don't know if it was made with Oria, Columbus or that Dedacciai Dolmen tubing, but there is something with the way that frame handles rough stuff that is like no other bike. The front end is super steep but the previous owner (buddy o mine) took it to 102 km/h on a 18% grade and it was rock solid. I rode the D2R2 with it this year and it was purrrrfect. It has also proven to be a very very good cyclocross racer. It's not super light by any means, but the geometry lends itself to gogin around very tight corners very quickly.

wc1934
11-01-2010, 05:42 PM
modern aesthetics.

doesn't seem to fit with what most of the forumites like.

how many times have we heard "classy" and "classic" and "class" used?

+1,
and the price tag

zap
11-01-2010, 06:06 PM
Dogma mg is cool. The only one made in Italy.

Last I checked.

Yes, it matters.

happycampyer
11-01-2010, 06:19 PM
I had an F4:13 and a Prince, and have ridden a couple of Dogmas. If you're looking for a modern, pure-bred race bike, Pinarellos are hard to beat. People refer to them a twitchy, but I found each of them to be very stable, especially on descents. With the right paint scheme and wheels, I actually like the curvy stays, but they are polarizing, no doubt.

For me, the main reason for moving away from the Pinarellos (and other super-stiff, pure-bred race bikes, although I still have a 595 Origin in team white for no good reason ...) is that I have come to the realization that there are other bikes that suit me better. I'm happy to sacrifice a little stiffness for a more forgiving ride over rough pavement, and prefer geometry that tends more toward Pegoretti's (although as the OP noted, Pinarello's have taller headtubes than a lot of others out there).

sjbraun
11-01-2010, 07:39 PM
the forks are fugly?

I rode an FP-3, a nice riding bike, but nothing about the ride made me say,
"Buy this one."

Steve-who bought a Look 585, but really liked the C-dale Super Six, too

Nags&Ducs
11-02-2010, 12:04 AM

really?!?! Wow, that is news to me. Although I haven't looked that closely st' his bikes, it looked like a real Pinarello to me. What did Mig really ride? (if I had to guess, I'd say a one-off Italian maker? Second guess is serotta???)

Kirk007
11-02-2010, 12:06 AM
really?!?! Wow, that is news to me. Although I haven't looked that closely st' his bikes, it looked like a real Pinarello to me. What did Mig really ride? (if I had to guess, I'd say a one-off Italian maker? Second guess is serotta???)

Pegoretti. Look at the extended headtubes. (at least that's what a Peg dealer told me).

firerescuefin
11-02-2010, 12:40 AM
I think the Dogma is one of the sexiest bikes out there, but you can get custom carbon for the price of one of their f/f ($5500)....that's a no brainer for me.

TimmyB
11-02-2010, 02:05 AM
FWIW I absolutely love my prince carbon with sram red + pro vibe 7s cockpit. It is the stiffest/fastest/most responsive bike I've ever ridden. And I've tried out most of the other carbon bikes in that price range...

bikemoore
11-02-2010, 04:48 AM
My 1994 Gavia w/Campy 8-speed Ergo is still my favorite bike to this day. When I ride my Atlanta, I realize the Atlanta is actually a better bike, but there is something about the old steel Pinarello that keeps me coming back for more. I have at least 40K miles and 16 years on the Gavia even though I have 4 other road bikes..maybe that's why I nearly always choose it for rides...I'm so used to it. To me, its like my favorite pair of broken-in blue jeans.

But, I would not buy another Pinarello. Their bikes have become so upscale and expensive after their great 1990s steel line-up, that they just no longer interest me. The out-sourcing doesn't bother me, as Pinarello out-sourced within Italy before they out-sourced to Asia. I just look at the price of new carbon Pinarello's and I can think of numerous other bikes I would rather have for that price (like Serotta HSG carbon).

flydhest
11-02-2010, 05:28 AM

Wasn't he on a Peg for some of his wins?

Show's why marketing in cycling is such big bucks. It still sticks out in my mind. I was young and didn't know any better, and if I hadn't blown a bunch of money on a trip to Europe after college or the summer jobs had paid more, I'm sure I would have bought one then.

Polyglot
11-02-2010, 05:56 AM
Indurain DID ride a Pinarello. They were Pinarello frames that just happened to be built by various builders, some in house, others contracted by Pinarello and built outside. This does not in any way minimize that they were full-blown Pinarello frames. This is quite different from what occurred with many other brands in earlier times where the cyclists would search out their own framebuilder, independently contract the building of the frame and pay it out of their own or team funds and then camouflage the frame as the team-sponsoring brand.

zap
11-02-2010, 07:29 AM
Wasn't he on a Peg for some of his wins?

Show's why marketing in cycling is such big bucks. It still sticks out in my mind. I was young and didn't know any better, and if I hadn't blown a bunch of money on a trip to Europe after college or the summer jobs had paid more, I'm sure I would have bought one then.

You did well going to Europe.

When Mig retired, two things stuck in my mind.

One, he was surprised how much bicycles cost.

Two, he purchased a Cannondale.

Polyglot
11-02-2010, 07:49 AM
When Mig retired, two things stuck in my mind.

One, he was surprised how much bicycles cost.

Two, he purchased a Cannondale.

I have often heard this but have never seen a photo of him riding anything but a Pinarello since his retirement. Perhaps he simply bought a Cannondale for a friend...

This photo of Indurain riding with his son was taken less than a year ago:
http://www.cyclingforums.com/forum/thread/476885/indurain-training-with-his-son

Both are riding Pinarello bikes.

cmg
11-02-2010, 07:56 AM
this weekend saw a pinarello Sl tubed frame/fork that the owner restored, chrome chainstays, half chrome on the seat stays, new decals, candy apple red every where else. it was beautiful. made me remember why i wanted one back when they were making steel frames. one of the women i ride with has a Pinarello Prince and loves it. But they're outside what i would deem reasonable in terms of cost.

oldpotatoe
11-02-2010, 08:15 AM

Yep, most made by Pegoretti.

zap
11-02-2010, 08:22 AM
I have often heard this but have never seen a photo of him riding anything but a Pinarello since his retirement. Perhaps he simply bought a Cannondale for a friend...

This photo of Indurain riding with his son was taken less than a year ago:
http://www.cyclingforums.com/forum/thread/476885/indurain-training-with-his-son

Both are riding Pinarello bikes.

Don't make me dig through my archives. :D Actually I should as I need to throw the old cycling newsprint and magazines out or pass them on too others.

It's been some time since he retired and Pinarello's have improved significantly since the "middling" products they built or had built in the 80's and early 90's.

allegretto
11-02-2010, 11:26 AM
at the beginning of this year I had a SR Gruppo sitting around and decided to get a Dogma 60.1 and set her up

When this particular frame arrived, the finish of the frame and the paint was of unbelievably poor quality. Not at all what I expected

Sent it back... no Pinarellos for me.

Got me a tricked out MOOTS Psychlo-X YBB instead. Now that is a work of fine art and a ride that makes my Meivici gather dust...