PDA

View Full Version : front shifter micro adjustment - how do I get it?

d_douglas
11-01-2010, 03:44 AM
I use XTR 2nd gen STIs and FD (M950, I think?) and first gen XTR (M900) cranks and RD along with an XT 8spd cassette.

All is well, except I find that there is a pretty small range of gearing before the FD starts rubbing. I have been known to crosschain, but not that often. I find that if I am in the middle ring and the upper end of the cassette, the chain will rub on the derailleur cage. With these chifters, there doesn't seem to be any trim or 1/2 clicks so that I can microadjust the position.

I think modern MTB shifters have trim, and I am wondering if it is possible to make this minor change but keep my vintage parts for the most part. (I love the old school XTR)

If I use say, new XT STI pods and a cassette, would this solve the problem? Or do I need to buy a modern FD as well?

Trying to keep it simple, yet precise,

Darren

oldpotatoe
11-01-2010, 06:25 AM
I use XTR 2nd gen STIs and FD (M950, I think?) and first gen XTR (M900) cranks and RD along with an XT 8spd cassette.

All is well, except I find that there is a pretty small range of gearing before the FD starts rubbing. I have been known to crosschain, but not that often. I find that if I am in the middle ring and the upper end of the cassette, the chain will rub on the derailleur cage. With these chifters, there doesn't seem to be any trim or 1/2 clicks so that I can microadjust the position.

I think modern MTB shifters have trim, and I am wondering if it is possible to make this minor change but keep my vintage parts for the most part. (I love the old school XTR)

If I use say, new XT STI pods and a cassette, would this solve the problem? Or do I need to buy a modern FD as well?

Trying to keep it simple, yet precise,

Darren

MTB shifters don't have trim ala the road shifters.

The best you are going to adjust it is when in the middle ring, the chain should be really close to the FD cage(nearly touching) at the extremes of the cogset, both high and low.

Also the 8s chain is a wee bit thicker than 9s..more of a problem. No, don't use a 9s chain is you have an 8s cogset.

fjaws
11-01-2010, 07:28 AM
Micro adjust = Grip shift front shifter. Other than that, the other advise is spot on.

d_douglas
11-01-2010, 08:08 AM
I will just live with the imprecision. I am deliberating making it a 1 x 8 - that would clear up some of the rattles...